VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how low can i go before i should buy aftermarket shocks/struts?!?!....are there any parts i should replace if i just buy springs....i was looking into the h&r sport springs or the nuespeed racing springs.... thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by whiterabbit07 at 5:19 PM 3-17-2008

· Registered
14,231 Posts
I have yet to get any confirmation on this, but I don't think lowering has any affect on dampening requirements when the spring rates stay the same. There is a thread somewhere in either the mkIV forum or the 20th/337/GLI forum showing that VW's OE 1.3" drop springs use the same shocks as VW's OE sport suspension at 0"-.5" drop and IIRC, the 1.3" lowering springs are softer than the sport springs too (this info is in the FAQ by the way). This probably explains why Koni says its ok to use Eibach prokit springs (with a shorter bumpstop) with their FSD shocks because the spring rate isn't too far from stock, even though they lower the car 1.3 inches.

Modified by abawp at 7:48 PM 3-17-2008

· Registered
680 Posts
Re: (whiterabbit07)

The valving inside a lowered strut is different then stock. Best bet would be to save up for a cup kit or a set of coilovers. You can use your stock struts, but I don't think you will be happy with the ride. Just my .02

· Registered
14,231 Posts
Re: (whiterabbit07)

Quote, originally posted by whiterabbit07 »
so it would be ok to use stock shocks with h&r sport springs?!?....would i need to get a new bumb stop too.... like i said im new to lowering vws and got no idea

The majority of lowering springs are stiffer than stock to give people that sporty feel. New shocks are pretty much mandatory at this point since the OEM ones won't be able to control the spring enough without quickly degrading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.