VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dasher

My 1st VW was a Dasher. I called it the Diesel Dasher, well because it was exactly that. I bought it for $100 with a broken timing belt and low and behold it didn't have bent valves. I had it for a short time and it developed a large oil leak on the way to work and died. :confused:

Years later I bought my 2nd VW my 2001 Golf GLS. So far I've had it longer than the Dasher. Bought it in December 2017 and its running strong.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My 1st VW was a Dasher. I called it the Diesel Dasher, well because it was exactly that. I bought it for $100 with a broken timing belt and low and behold it didn't have bent valves. I had it for a short time and it developed a large oil leak on the way to work and died. :confused:

Years later I bought my 2nd VW my 2001 Golf GLS. So far I've had it longer than the Dasher. Bought it in December 2017 and its running strong.
While this is my first Dasher, it's definitely not my first VW, and I'm sure that others on the list have owned many more than me. My list is as follows:

1982 Rabbit Convertible 1.7 gas
1980 Rabbit Pickup 1.6 gas
1980 Rabbit L 1.5 diesel
1981 Rabbit Sportruck 1.7 gas
1993 Passat GLX VR6 gas
2000 Passat GLX Wagon V6 gas
1980 Scirocco 1.6 gas
1980 Scirocco S 1.8 gas
2011 Jetta Sportwagon 2.5 gas
1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg Edition 1.8 gas (Saberjet Rabbit)
1980 Dasher Wagon (1.6 gas with a cracked block and in process of the 1.8 gas installation)

-=Mark

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've been busy with work, but did get some stuff done on the Dasher. Cleaned & painted parts that I'm using, and finally had a chance to order up parts that need replacing. Those should be here in a few days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Been a bit since I've given an update. Motor is in the car, but still need to hook up hoses & wires. Tank is back from repair, but not installed yet due to waiting for a sending unit coming from Africa. Haven't had much time as of late, as someone left my department at work, so extra hours are required there. New springs were wrong, so I've been exploring my options with custom springs and air-ride options, but will likely put back on the old springs just to move it around for now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
At long last, I have a sending unit for the gas tank! Missed a chance for one in VT, got one from Africa that took almost 2 months to get - ended up having the wrong letter at the end so was completely incorrect. But the third time was the charm, finding one in Kansas, brand new in the factory VW box. Arrived today and installed in the tank. Also finally picked up a battery & wired in the angel-eyes lights to the park lights. Images show the repared tank, just angel-eyes, lows/angel-eyes, & highs. We're getting there!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Long Time - Sorry for no updates in a while

So, with a very busy spring & summer and now into fall, I figured I should let you all know where we're at here. Engine is back in the car. All brakes and suspension have been gone through, exhaust all hooked up, and riding on 15" rims/tires. Upon completion of hooking everything up, I turned the key and nothing happened at all. I tested the starter and it was completely dead, so I ordered a new one. With that installed, I turned the key, and again nothing :banghead: Looks like I'm going through tracing back wires to see where the disconnect is. I'm so close, but at the moment so far from having this thing on the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That Dasher is super clean indeed.

You'll figure out soon enough the no-start issue.

Your painting every part you touch reminds me of own compulsive habits every time I take apart something in my QSWs!!:D

Regards,

Louis

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, getting there little by little. No crank with the key ended up due to a bad ground on the transmission. It then cranked, but had no fuel pressure. Replaced the fuel pump and had pressure, but the fuel distributor is no good. On the hunt for that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I finally have this car up and running. Used but good fuel distributor installed. Car runs awesome and turns over with half a crank. Was driving car yesterday when right front wheel bearing disintegrated, damaging the half-shaft, hub, rotor & pads, and bent the bleeder for that caliper. Sucks because all that was new Tow driver fubar'd the rim (which was brand new) so need to get the company to pay for that. Ordered up all the parts for that side of the car and another bearing for the driver side, since it can't be much better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I grew up in South Africa, when I was 13 my parent bought a Dasher (known in South Africa as a Passat L with a 1.3 litre manual transmission). I learned to drive on that car and had some awesome memories with it. Good luck with the restoration and don't forget to post pics. :thumbup:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So hows summer treating you and the dasher?
Thanks for asking. After I got all the front end stuff put back together, it was running into an overheat issue, like super fast, like around the block twice and it's overheating kind of fast. Due to my schedule, I haven't had much time to work on it

Sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, given the current state of the world, I found myself with time to investigate the overheating issue. Thought my radiator was good, but turns out it's plugged up pretty good. Wanting something new-ish and not finding anything, I was researching solutions, and had read where some Mk1 guys had been using half-width radiators and were using either Dasher/Fox radiators or Civic radiators. With the former being unavailable and the latter much more easily obtained, I picked up a nice 3-core aluminum radiator for a civic and am in process of welding up some brackets to put this in place. Looking forward to having the Dasher reliably on the road! Pics to come soon

Sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I have the bracket mostly completed for the civic radiator. It'll have to sit at an angle for clearance, since I used a thicker 3-core unit. Should hopefully have the brackets to attach to the factory mounts done soon. Taking it slow since my son is learning to mig weld on this project

Sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just waiting on some coolant hose parts for the lower radiator inlet. Where the civic radiator has the opening on the back instead of the front for the lower inlet, I was trying to get a long enough hose that had the coils inside to keep it from folding, since it needs to do a 180 bend to reach the inlet. Couldn't find one long enough, so need to do two hoses with a coupler. I have my 180 degree bend hose, and the coupler should be in tomorrow, and believe I can use some of the straight hose I have for the section from the water pump to the coupler.

Sent from Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.