VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sooo, the gauge cluster has bit the dust. The only thing that works is the odometer, since it's mechanical. The blue ribbon on the back is completely disintegrating. Been searching around, and anything I find isn't much better, so I'm going to make a custom dash cluster.

Looking forward to it, too

-=Mark
'80 Dasher Wagon
'81 Rabbit Sportruck
'90 VSE JackRabbit
'11 Jetta Sportwagen SE

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
While I like the option bill suggested, I'm going a different route.
This is my mock up of the new cluster. Speedo is GPS controlled, and upper left corner is a clock for those wondering.

-=Mark
'80 Dasher Wagon
'81 Rabbit Sportruck
'90 VSE JackRabbit
'11 Jetta Sportwagen SE

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Also decided to add factory brown door pockets (Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco) to the fronts & locate new 4 x 6's there so the door cards don't have to come off again for speaker replacements, AND handy storage

-=Mark
'80 Dasher Wagon
'81 Rabbit Sportruck
'90 VSE JackRabbit
'11 Jetta Sportwagen SE

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Transferred the holes in the cardboard to black ABS and with Delron Plastic Weld attached it to the bezel. Although not pictured, I then painted the whole assembly to hide my sharpie lines (I should have just making taped the whole panel for mark-up & drilling) and can start on wiring.

-=Mark
'80 Dasher Wagon
'81 Rabbit Sportruck
'90 VSE JackRabbit
'11 Jetta Sportwagen SE

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.