·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
It's a Votec GS3. I think it has up to 110mm of travel but was set at 80mm when new. The elastomers have collapsed after 20ish years. I've got a new set coming from https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/
Holy cow, that fork is rare. I recall from my 90s biking days that that fork was used only by that Porsche bike. And now googling Votec GS3 makes it appear that was the truth - the 3rd hit on Google is this page! Rare indeed. I wonder how anyone could have produced that fork in such limited numbers.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Holy cow, that fork is rare. I recall from my 90s biking days that that fork was used only by that Porsche bike. And now googling Votec GS3 makes it appear that was the truth - the 3rd hit on Google is this page! Rare indeed. I wonder how anyone could have produced that fork in such limited numbers.
From what I understand, all of the old (and maybe the new?) Porsche bikes are made by Votec. That said, I'm not an expert so I don't know how rare it is! Ebay Germany has been really useful when I'm on the hunt for parts!

How did I not know about the spectrum Rs??

Wonder if all allocations are gone...
According to the Spectrum VW Owners & enthusiasts facebook group, there are 11 remaining in the US - viper green and cliff green available "at richmond va. loyalty vw and west broad ve". That was five days ago. One Violet touch is car "is on VW’s hands and might end up as a CPO car at one point."

The VWOA "Golf family product manager" is on the page so she may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

·
Registered
Buzzy Italian and Practical Czech
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Is that a doge I spot on the back of your phone? Sweet car and a sweet woofer!
𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐨𝐛𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧. Good eye. 𝕨𝕠𝕨 :thumbup: :)

Lockdown update!

Painting the bumper gave me the confidence to finally detail the paint. I used a $40 150mm random orbital polisher and am really really happy with the result. At first I was doing up to about 18 passes with the polisher, but I slowed down my passes as I got more confident and I think the last areas were about 6 passes. I used a combination of Meguiars Ultimate compound, ultimate polish and then finished and removed the final marks with Gyeon polish. I then protected the paint with Gyeon can-coat which is a bit like a ceramic coating. I didn't want to put a long lasting final coat on the paint in case I needed to do more work, but it looks great so far.

The coating makes water bead like crazy and the car almost cleans itself now.

Here's a before and after shot of the paint.

Paint on the car is single stage, so it was confronting to look at the pad. I was surprised to find that the roof is the only panel with a clear coat, indicating that it's the only panel that's an obvious repaint.

The paint has a lot more depth.

And shine.

The front guards have previously been plagued by white water marks. I had been able to temporarily hide them with Meguiars Scratch x and Meguiars glaze, but they always returned. I'm hoping that the more aggressive polish and coating will fix that problem.

I also took the opportunity to polish my MK4. My policy is to only polish to remove marks, but the paint is so much nicer now. It is silver so it hasn't popped as much as the Porsche but it looks great.

More pics once restrictions lift.

On the subject of restrictions . . . . My new Golf hasn't boarded the ship yet. It was impacted by the factory shutdowns and only finished getting built 12 days ago. Its scheduled to board a ship tomorrow. The frustrating part is that some cars have made it to Australia, so other people will be receiving theirs in the next two weeks. It's going to be a very long 6-8 weeks. On the plus side, it's more time to daydream about buying matching LMs and MK6 motorsport Recaros.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
My buddy Sinisbuilt on Instagram may be able to help you with center caps.
:thumbup: I'll check it out.

Impulsive update!
I found a set of standard mufflers for sale and picked them up for a fair price. A set of Fister exhausts would be my preference but sourcing a set of cores, sending them for modification, currency exchange and freight charges make it difficult.

Instead I took the "new" set to an exhaust shop and they added a 1.5" bypass pipe. This allows a little more noise and rasp to get through. I went with 1.5" because I was worried 2" would be too loud.

In reality, it's basically the same volume but with more character - especially when decelerating. It pops and growls a lot more. It's how the car should have sounded before the bypass. I probably should have went with 2" but I'm still happy with the result.

While replacing the mufflers I couldn't resist starting the car with one missing. It sounded amazing. I only let it run for a few moments because the gases were directed towards the bumper bar.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Sounds really good!
Cheers Kiz!

So I was on facebook a few weeks ago and someone posted some shots of their former car. Turns out there's another Amaranth Violet 993 in Australia! I asked the guy a bunch of questions, but he didn't really seem interested in chatting. Anyway, I believe it's currently based near Canberra (<4 hours drive) so I might spot it at a car show some-time.

He also posted a few items in the for sale section and I bought his old spoiler. Barney's extra wing has always looked a bit weird to me and this has let me delete it. I'll miss seeing it pop-up in my rear view mirror but it will look cleaner without it.

Here it is after test fitting.

I was planning on transferring the grille from my old spoiler. I found out today that it's held in by glue, melted plastic and fiddly clips so now I'm on the hunt for more parts.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 · (Edited)
Thanks DubDaze! :thumbup:

Golf R update!

The car was unloaded from the ship on Sunday. I'm expecting it to arrive in around a weeks time. The wait has been hard (especially seeing other people post their cars on facebook) but it's almost at an end. I'm getting excited.

Pickup is going to be interesting because I live on the border of two states. I'm in New South Wales, but work in Victoria. The border to NSW is closed to those without a permit. I have a work permit, but that probably doesn't cover buying a new car. This issue has only just dawned on me. I'm guessing the dealer will have a plan so I'll call them tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've been trying to think of a new number plate for the R. Full custom plates are about $470 AUD per year, whereas the following formats cost only $109 per year.

The shortlist is:
N VW 20R - 2 litre - Model year 20
N VW 20T
N GO 75R - mk7.5
N GO 20T - My MK4 has the plate NGO 18T
N GO 20R
N GO 75R
N VW 20R
N GO 75R
N LA 57R - Last R. I like this one, but it's a MK7.5 - not a MK5.7
FNL 75R - Final 7.5 R
060 LFR - Golf R
60 LAST - Go last / golf final. I like the idea of this one, but it's a weird statement to make.
60 FINL - Go Final
20 GOLF - Sadly 60 GOLF is already taken (go golf!)
20 FINL
20 RRR
60 RRR
20 VWR

Nothing is really inspiring me. The list is so long because they're all pretty meh! Open to ideas or other suggestions!

As for the 911 - No updates. I haven't driven it in about a month due to rain and my muddy back yard. Hopefully next weekend.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Throwback Sunday update!

I was searching through my old photos and found pics of the other Violet 993. Turns out we both attended the German Autofest in Canberra in 2005. Unfortunately, Porsche's were a pipe dream for me back then so I only took a few photos. 2005 seems to be the only year that we both attended.

I don't remember seeing it before, but it obviously caught my eye back then!

Golf R update: It's due in my town next week with handover scheduled for the 19th. I'm am stunned and frustrated that it takes almost 5 weeks to travel 350km and get registered, but I can't do much about it. Number plates have been ordered and I'm trying to schedule in paint protection film.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
[Excited squealing noises]

I stopped by the dealership after work today to get an update. They took me around to the storage yard (against their advice) and showed me the car. It's finally here! Expected pickup is Wednesday.

301 - 320 of 362 Posts