321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Thanks A&W :)

It's now safely in the garage.

I live on a state border and I had to ride through the Corona checkpoint to get to the dealership. The bike went in the boot and I was on my way home after a few photos and instructions on how to use everything. Man, cars have come a long way since 2002. It's got so much tech compared to my GTI. I'm still getting used to the keyless-go - I keep trying to put the key into the steering column.

This is a HDR so the colours are little vibrant.

I think I'll debadge the "7 Final Edition" badge. These number plates will be gone next week.

Colour match in bright light against the 993 is pretty bad . . .

but Violet Touch changes so much that it's pretty close at lower light levels.

It's getting PPF on Tuesday. To my annoyance - only the front end. The installer doesn't have templates for the full car and there aren't any other options in my area. I'm getting the roof wrapped in gloss black vinyl at the same time.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Update 2 for the night: I haven't really given my thoughts on the R.

Good stuff:
Looks/colour.
Tech. The digital instruments are very cool.
Driving modes are great. I can see myself putting it into comfort when I have passengers.
Steering feel in Race is very good.
Ride is very very comfortable, even in Race.
Big sunroof.
Performance. It's a quick car.
Infotainment - Car play and dynaudio are :thumbup:

Cons.
Lack of options: Manual gearbox, motorsport recaros, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, 2 door please!
Steering feel in comfort/eco is best described as sloppy.
Exhaust is boomy in Race.
Not as DSG farty as I thought it might be. It may have particulate filters (which I think is a good thing).
Normal DSG complaints - lag from standing start and it changes up too early.
There isn't a button to disable the interior alarm sensors and it must be changed every time via the infotainment. Although I think you can leave a window down or double press the lock button to disable them. To be confirmed!
Seating position is a little high.
4Motion borrows a fair bit of space in the hatch.
Seems a bit more understeery than my other cars, but I'm still driving it very gently pending PPF and running the engine in.
OMG THE BRAKE DUST!

Most surprising.
The headlights are just incredible.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
With the VAG computer, you can program the comfort module to do what you want with the interior sensors.
Great tip! I tried my VAGCOM cable, but it's not 100% compatible with the new car. It'll detect some of the modules but doesn't want to talk to them. I'll have to grab a new cable or scanner and have a play.

993 update
I bit the bullet and ordered a new grille from Porsche. It's (slowly) coming from Germany and I expect it to arrive in the next week or two. I'll be glad to finally delete the rear wing.

In other mods: I got lucky on ebay and found a carbon instrument surround. Unfortunately it's slightly damaged but I got it for a good price and I'm hoping the tachometer should cover the issue. It's being sent on Monday. I was uhmming and ahhing about buying a 964 surround from Germany and drilling a few holes to make it fit the 993. This one won't require any mods and there won't be any LHD/RHD surprises.

On the subject of good deals . . . I picked up this Porsche Office Chair RS on marketplace. I've been working from home recently and had been considering picking up a proper ergonomic office chair. I've been slouching away on the couch and it's probably no good for my body. Anyway, this popped up online and after a few messages I sent a payment to the seller. He had a few people already in talks but I paid him quickly and he offered to store it while I organised logistics. He said a couple of the other people got pissy when they missed out. :rolleyes:

OK. It's not an ergonomic chair. It's a real seat from a 991! It's leather and alcantara and has motors for backrest adjustment. It's got an embossed Porsche crest and weighs 35KG. And that's better than an ergonomic chair.

Isn't it?

. . . OK. You're right. I'm a fanboy.

Anyway - Newcastle is 700KM away! The chair was going to cost about $400 to ship via a pallet. I spoke to my partner and weighed up the options. I think the deciding factor was that it was listed the day before a 3 day weekend so I chose to go pick it up. It was a good excuse to get to know my new car and introduce my dog to the ocean.

She was a little startled by the waves and loved digging in the sand. I wish I lived closer to the ocean as we only got about 45 minutes of play before it got too dark and I had to go to the hotel.

The next morning I met up with the seller who was a really nice guy.

:eek: Yes. That's a 964 3.6 Turbo. It had about 60,000km on the odometer and it's worth more than my house and 993 combined. He was given the chair after a project and it was taking up room in his garage. His employers made him take it when he left jobs as it didn't match their office and it's sat in his garage since.

We took our dogs down to the beach and grabbed a coffee and had a chat about cars. By 10am I was back on the road. Total distance - 1404km covered in a little over 17 hours. Yeah. I drove 17 hours to buy a chair. Anyway, the R was a champ on the trip. Active cruise, lane assistance, traffic jam assist (Sydney roads), carplay, heated seats and the dynaudio stereo were brilliant. The only downside is that the 4motion system and space saver/subwoofer take up loads of room in the boot. The MK4 GTI has so much more space!

More pics coming once the grille arrives. Stay safe everyone!

Oh - I've worked from home a couple of days this week and the chair is pretty comfy. Big upgrade from my couch :)

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 · (Edited)
That's way more exciting than a trip to the local Office Depot! Plus you made an adventure of it... always a good choice.

I was just telling some other TCL folks how I don't really like the 964 styling but when it's a Turbo...OK fine.
I'm always up for an adventure. :D And I'm with you on the 964. I think the bumpers are just a little modern for the rest of the body, but the turbo . . . :eek: Just amazing!

Wing update!

I've barely driven the 911 since getting the R but I gave it some love this weekend. The grille arrived from Porsche and it's been installed.

The standard setup weighs 1.7 kg (3.7lbs) less than the Techart wing. I miss seeing it pop up in the rear view mirror at 80km/h but I think the car looks cleaner without it.

Dash Update!

This started off pretty well. I removed the loose resin.

So that there was no air underneath the clear.

(No more closeup pics sorry :banghead:). I then applied a small patch, sanded and polished with a cordless dremel (low RPM) and meguiars scratch x. I decided against putting a clear over the top as the risk/reward ratio was unfavorable! Overall it came up pretty well but the install was way more complex than I hoped. I removed the instruments (easy) and placed the overlay on top of the dashboard. It looked great until I noted that the dashboard dimmer and wiper speed pots weren't aligned with the holes in the trim.

I tried everything I could think of including removing the upper dash (fairly easy). But no go. If I got a pot-hole aligned then the other pot and instruments wouldn't fit and forcing it closer was making me very worried about causing further damage. In order to make it fit I needed to remove the existing vinyl trim (to get it closer to the metal) and then oval the holes for the pots.

I did consider re-drilling the trim, but the chances of me getting it right without de-laminating the trim was low. I HATE doing anything to the car that isn't undo-able and this is about as far as I'd go.

While the dash was out I used the opportunity to reroute the ultrasonic alarm sensors that were flapping about near the A pillar. I've just looked through the thread, but there aren't any pics. They're a 1cm sized thing that looks like a tiny tweeter and they were dangling on the upper dash. I've put them in a better spot below the upper dash. They're designed to be flush mounted into a panel but I've drilled enough! :p It was 20 minutes extra work and they're far less obvious now.

I then managed to reconnect the battery while the instruments and/or airbag were disconnected and threw a fault light. For once in this project I had some luck though. Around 3 years ago I bought a used OBD cable from a Porsche forum.

Amazingly
1. I knew exactly where I put it.
2. The software was still online (paperwork is from 2012).
3. The software is windows 10 compatible and the drivers are certified.
4. I got it reset in <20 minutes without instructions.

Great success! Anyway - onto pics. The carbon repair is not noticeable :thumbup:

Oh - I painted the key surround too. It brings a little colour to the grey/black interior.

I think I'm done for carbon for now - except I still want a pair of the correct 94-97 (?) slim door panels that I was chasing earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Carbon steering wheel is still on the cards once I get motivated and brave enough to continue the restoration.

Other repairs
I finally removed the heater core and airbox (for access) and replaced the engine cover struts. No issues except for some scratches and a lost clip which I replaced.

I replaced both of the sunroof do-dads that lower the deflector after one broke. Just in time for summer. :thumbup:

Golf R update
I've done about 4000km! since buying it. No news except to say that it gets a huge number of compliments. I've had about 8 strangers approach me about the car - that's like twice as many as 5 years with the 911. Maybe people think a Golf owner is more approachable than a Porsche owner? Anyway, it's not something I expected and it's a bit weird!

No other news to report except that I've booked another 2 track days in with the 911 in December. Can't wait!

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
I had brainfart for a second and was like 'why is the key on the right'. Great update.
Cheers 16Volt! I always smile when I hear the story about Porsche and Le Mans * as most RHD cars have a right hand ignition.

* although the latest rumor is that it wasn't Le Mans heritage, but a ploy to use less wiring.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
The New Year update
This update is a bit of everything, so forgive me if it's all over the place.

Finally got that overhead photo!

I bought a set of Rennline aluminium door handles during the big sales. I've got a few bits of aluminium around the cabin (instruments/gear knob and handbrake) and a splash of silver would tie in with the alu/carbon theme.

They look great but the mounting bracket is about 1.4mm larger than the OEM pieces and it deforms the plastic mounts. It doesn't feel nice to operate the handle and I'm worried the pressure will damage the aging plastic mounts.

I've emailed Rennline and will update when they offer a solution.

Track day!
I took the car on another trackday. This time I ran my 18" wheels. The first couple of sessions were oversteer filled. I'm not sure if that's because the track was green, my Kumho tyres are crap or if my driving was sloppy but I had a lot of fun.

Maybe one day, I'll nail that double apex. 😬

R.

I'm chasing a set of BBS LM249s - without much success. They're currently out of production although I've found a couple of sets for sale in Europe. I'm just not keen about paying $7000+ AUD for a set.

I've driven over 6000km now and just returned from another weekend away. I miss the luggage capacity of my MK4 GTI (FWD FTW) and the manual gearbox, but otherwise it's a great car. It also played a part in my next update.

Doggo update.
You know how we joke that everything is trying to kill you in Australia? Well, this got a bit real about three weeks ago. My partner spotted our dog playing with something snake-like in the back yard. She called the dog inside and then phoned me at work. She wasn't 100% sure if it was a snake but I came home and gave the dog a once-over. The dog appeared to be fine and was happy to see me. I went outside and checked the yard and found an Eastern Brown snake. The second-most venomous land snake in the world.

I hoped that my dog was lucky and quick and that her thick fur protected her. I went back inside and checked her again. She still seemed ok, but I called our vet (7 kilometres away) and decided to bring her in as a precaution. I started to take her outside to the car. And with a gut-wrenching howl - she collapsed on the driveway.

I chucked her on the back seat of the Golf and rerouted to a closer vet - 1.5km away. At one point I got stuck behind someone doing 20km/h under the limit. I contemplated driving off road to get around them but I waited until a lane was clear (it felt like an eternity) and then got around them. I parked at the front door of the clinic and ran inside. There was a vet at the counter and they treated her straight away. She stayed in hospital overnight and has bounced back like a champion. No apparent issues. Pretty amazing for a 10yo dog.
I'm not going to BS and say that the R saved her life, but it was the right car at the right time.

Thankfully, the dog managed to kill the snake. She looks to have thrashed it around - probably breaking its spine. Hopefully the neighbourhood snakes now know that everything in my yard is trying to kill them. 😳:p

Fingers crossed the next update will be less dramatic. 🤞

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
seeing those track photos makes me miss my old 911. Cars are looking great! I also almost bought an R in "purple" a few years ago when they announced the Spektrum colors in the US. You sir, have good taste.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Thanks Scott :)

Car show update!

Last weekend I attended a giant Porsche showed named Luftwasser. I was lucky enough to not need to travel as it was staged in my home town. I'm roughly half way between Melbourne and Sydney, but people came from as far away as South Australia and Queensland (~15 hours drive). It was originally intended to be an excuse to get some of the city guys to visit and spend money in bushfire affected areas - but Rona delayed things. I believe 172 cars attended, which would probably be pretty small compared to international shows - but a good effort for regional Australia. This included a speedster, 4x GT3RS, a GT4, a 996 GT2 and several 996 GT3s.

The first day was a car display, followed by a drive out into the hills for lunch at the Jingellic pub. We had most varieties of Porsche in attendance, from 356 up to a Taycan. It was a great drive and I jumped at the chance to tailgate an Ultraviolet GT3RS. I'd like to say that I kept up, but it was only because of some slower cars in front. :)

It was also my first chance to see a UV and AV car at the same. Something I've been trying to do for the last 5 years!

They're actually much closer than I expected.

The next day was a track event, with around 40 cars attending. The other cars went on a second drive into the hills.

A few cars spun (myself included!). The biggest moment came when the speedster had a total tyre failure. I believe it had a puncture, which resulted in the tyre folding under itself. Luckily the owner is a good driver and managed to catch the spin. No major damage to the car, but some marks to the underside coating and some nicks to the wheel.

Unfortunately, nobody had a spare centrelock wheel that would fit the speedster so it had to be parked at the track. One of the Porsche dealerships sent a truck up the next day (on a public holiday) to help. Good service!

Day 3 was a lunch at a local winery.

A much better write up of the event can be found here

And some coverage on YouTube

Good news story: I had a few people ask for high resolution images from the track. I was a bit cheeky and asked for a donation to one of our local animal shelters. I didn't ask for a specific donation or evidence, but at least two people donated $50 ea, so that's made me feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

Next issue: The car is due for a service. This would normally happen when I visited Melbourne for the Formula 1 but the race has been postponed to November. I will have to employ some big-brain energy on how to get the car to Melbourne and back in the next month or two.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
It was a great event and I'm still buzzing Kiz :)

As I mentioned earlier, I was entering a bunch of photos into the Porsche 70 years in Australia photo competition. The fortnightly themes were Enthusiast, Heritage, Australia, Journey, Design, Lifestyle, Passion and was lucky enough to win a couple of prize packs.

Here are some of the many many many entries I submitted

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Stereo update:
The sound system in the Golf R has given me some perspective and now I realise just how bad the 911 stereo sounds. I bought a tiny amp and spent a couple of days over Easter installing it. Routing a wire from the luggage compartment proved to be the hardest job.

End result: My headunit has a amp remote (wake up) line, but it doesn't send a signal down the wire. This means the amp doesn't turn on. Now I have to decide whether to replace the HU or wire the amp to an ignition line. Meaning it will always be on when the engine is running. The car is still in bits until I make up my mind.

Rennline door handle update:
Just realised I didn't update this one. Their engineer suggested that my door handle measurements were out of spec. That seems impossible to me, given I've got two sets of OEM door handles (one set from the green leather trim) and they fit perfectly. It seems way more likely that my aluminium handles are incorrect.

Rennline offered a refund and I probably would have accepted if I lived in the US. Given their slow response and illogical suggestion, I don't think I'll order any other RL parts.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,244 Posts
Haven't checked in for quite some time, but I'm glad I clicked! Thanks for sharing the updates, and I'm super happy your doggo handled the snake and bounced right back.

·
Registered
46,528 Posts
It's been a while since I saw this thread. There are some great updates!

I had brainfart for a second and was like 'why is the key on the right'. Great update.
Yeah, I had to quote that. It threw me off, too!

In other news I'm very glad your handsome dog is okay, the Speedster didn't wreck, when I read it I was sure it was a 356 Speedster and a rear tire blowing out was going to mean it flipped (because swingaxle), the photos are really nice, I now want to grill sausages, and you could probably add a relay to power the amp when you want it on.

I think I got everything in there. :unsure: :D

321 - 340 of 362 Posts