VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to the site, and am looking into purchasing one of the following cars:
1) VW Jetta 1.8T
2) VW Passat 1.8T
3) VW Jetta VR6
4) Audi A6 2.7T
They are all stickshift, and in great condition, with all right around 120,000 miles. I am looking for someone to tell me which car to stay away from, which ones have the most problems, etc. Good things about each, bad things about each, mileage you get out of all of these cars, reliability, everything. Please help me out guys, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
11,849 Posts
Re: New to site--questions for you guys!!! (MXZ1983)

Quote, originally posted by MXZ1983 »
Hi everyone, I am new to the site, and am looking into purchasing one of the following cars:
1) VW Jetta 1.8T
2) VW Passat 1.8T
3) VW Jetta VR6
4) Audi A6 2.7T
They are all stickshift, and in great condition, with all right around 120,000 miles. I am looking for someone to tell me which car to stay away from, which ones have the most problems, etc. Good things about each, bad things about each, mileage you get out of all of these cars, reliability, everything. Please help me out guys, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They're all rolling liabilities and expensive maintenance nightmares, and you don't want to own any of them, unless you're a self-loathing person looking to bankrupt yourself.
Obviously, you probably didn't comprehend a single word of that. But someday....just try to remember them.

· Registered
7,769 Posts

you're not going to like the responses on this forum.. Having had lots of experience with VW, I'd tell you to stay away from them all

If you can swing an A6, get that one.. and consider naturally aspirated alternatives..

· Registered
6,488 Posts
FV-QR

In respect to Car Lounge 2.0...
I'll be nice.
Out of the choices listed, I'd personally buy a VR6, depending on the year. I'd also buy a 1.8t, depending on the year. Basically, the best maintained vehicle out of those except choice 4, just no.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: FV-QR (Alaska45)

ok, well i do like the vr6 a lot, but also was thinking about the All Wheel Drive in the Audi cuz i live in a very hilly area that gets a lot of snow....so what are these huge problems with the 2.7ts?

· Premium Member
27,603 Posts
Re: FV-QR (MXZ1983)

Quote, originally posted by MXZ1983 »
so what are these huge problems with the 2.7ts?

They fail. The turbos die. The engines are a bear to work on. You have to pull the motor to get to the turbos. They are shoehorned into the engine bay.
The 1.8t is actually pretty robust if the oil changes have been kept up on with synthetic oil and so forth. The VR6 is pretty bulletproof aside from the timing chain guides (a fairly straightforward repair).

· Registered
5,096 Posts

Hi MXZ1983 welcome to The Car Lounge (TCL)! A few things to know before you get started:
Rule#1 - always post a picture with each new topic to get more views
Rule#2 - check your spelling and grammar to avoid the spelling nazis
Rule#3 - always search before you post, if you have a question, it's probably already been asked, many times
Rule#4 - think before you post, and be prepared for ridicule, sarcasm, and irony
Rule#5 - if you own a Mk4 VW Jetta, Golf, GTI, proceed directly to the MK4 forum, do not pass go, do not collect $200, or keep it as your little secret
Rule#6(d)(2)(iii) - When in doubt, Google
While originally started as a VW enthusiast website (vwvortex), TCL is shared through other websites (mwerks, tripplezoom, fourtitude) and all brands and models are welcome. Many members have had a negative experience with VWs and are not receptive to VWs, but TCL does retain a euro-centric interest.
Required reading for n00bs.BMW E30, Jeep 4.0, and Mazda Miatas are the answer to any automotive purchasing situation
The value of a car is measured by the stoke-ability of its dash, not power under the hood
The 1.8T can nevar lose
Bagels rule, just ask ATL_Av8r inspired by GTI 20v
Unless your post is about a silver Corvette, never hotlink from netcarshow
Wimbledon (a bot) provides our daily news feed
vwlarry and David Votoupal have roamed the Earth for many moons and know everything interesting about cars of yore
You can't get anything past Jetty!, but I dare you to try
Pelko (MrWideTires) thinks a Mitsubishi 3000GT is a supercar, and TCL will forever mock him
Anything posted by the Car Lounge's David Bowie Juniper Monkeys is hilarious
MEIN_VW and andlf can travel back in time
barry2952 has mad skillz
Peloton25 knows more about McLaren F1s than Gordon Murray. If you own one, he knows more about you (and your car) than you do
If you sit still long enough, jbell will wrap you in carbon fiber
Jrod511 is a cool, car-loving, non-scumbag used car dealer. After they made him, they broke the mold
Wellington P Funk is the resident Jeep guru
Obin Robinson knows Porsche
Everyone is jealous of Patrikman's post count
BRealistic has an app on his iphone that detects "what should i buy" threads on the cl, so he can consistently give his $.02
The second a car is officially announced or reviewed, Mazda 3s will start a thread about it
Bah Humbug probably thinks you're dumb. Don't take it personally. Also, don't make him start punning
Turbiodiesel (Hugo Chávez) loves the environment thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss much
Don't say anything negative about GM or DenCo will have you stroking the dash of a Cavalier, but we do anyway, at every opportunity
whitejeep1989 is the spirit of DenCo, but with more logic and less high-res interior photos
justanotherusername will make sure that you know you're wrong...about everything
VDubChaos hates everything
Viergang Fuchs is TCL's idol, also, he's Chewbacca in a green Audi
Everyone is jealous of Smindustries
and they finally banned Hawc!

Anything else you need to know you can find here and here.
Sit back, relax, enjoy the comedy, and a wealth of automotive knowledge.

· Registered
120 Posts
Google is your friend. Well maintained 30V 2.8's seem to be pretty reliable, though finding a well maintained vehicle isn't so easy. Gas mileage will also vary; realistically you'll be looking at 18mpg in the city and 26mpg on the highway (perhaps less).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.