Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
87,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (gals),
I'm new to the Vortex but not to the VR6-list or the local Philly guys list...
Anyway,
For those of you that have installed the Hella Dual Rounds,
I installed my HID kit into this lamp and have been experiencing a slight "rattle" or "flutter" coming from the headlight.
I'm pretty sure it's not the actual bulbs themselves. The entire headlamp assembly seems to have just a bit of play in it (I've sured up all of the mounting points).
My question is this:
Due to the fact that HID lighting is so much more intense that any small rattle will show up 10 fold. I have had others drive it and you can't tell that it rattles from the source of the light (you know when people's reflectors are loose it is a real pita to your eyes). I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and what they did (if anything) to solve it...
Also, Is there a source for an amber city light bulb for them? I've tried everywhere.
Thanks guys,
By the way, I've got a '98 GTi VR6, tint, k&n, h&r/bilstein, 17"BBS RC, hella duals w/ HID, and that's it!
Thanks again!
Nater

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Re: New to Vortex...Question about Hella Dual Rounds for the GTi (nater)

sorry man i cant help you on this. i just put a set of hella duals in my car (joe arlo still rocks btw) and im loving them. id like to hear about your hids though...where did you get them, how much, how was the install, etc... good luck on fixing the flutter, havent noticed anything like that on mine but ive got them in really tight. might make sure the lenses themselves are in good...

·
Administrator
87,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New to Vortex...Question about Hella Dual Rounds for the GTi (brutefungus)

My HID's were an easy install (easy is a relative term). If you are somewhat mechancally inclined you can do it.
I actually installed the H7 HID kit in my MK4-looks then switched to the Dual Rounds and re-installed them with the H1 bulbs.
I believe I ended up with the K2 kit and I bought them through http://www.somecrappyoutfitonline.com ( THAT WAS AN EDIT) ???? I think.
I can find out for sure in a day or two (when I get home and check the packing slip). So far so good on these HID's tho. I'm surprised.
They are 6000K, put out a more violet color like on the Acura TL's (Reflectors) but you get a similar look on the DUal rounds except you get kick ass color change with the 'rounds...I've seen the halogens in the 'rounds and you don't get that Audi A4 color change (from halogen white to blue) but when you put the HID's in there it becomes very noticeable right around the cutoff.
I paid $450 (including shipping) for mine. There are more expensive deals out there that use Philips ballasts (mine are Panasonic Ballasts) which are supposed to be better...but I don't know.
Panasonic, last time I checked, made pretty good/reliable electronic components.
Anyway, If you are local I can show you my setup and how I did it and you can decide from there if it's something you wanna do....
Later,
Nater

Modified by nater at 5:31 PM 6-16-2003

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.