VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so next week im going to be buying a 91 gti that was wrecked. it has the stock 8V with all internals ballanced
light weight fly wheel bored .20 over and he said it had a g series cam since it was rebuilt it has less than 3k
on the engine. im going to put this engine in my cabby, and also get a DIGIFAST chip with an adjustible cam
gear. about how much power do you think ill be putting out with that setup? ill post pics when i get the car and during the swap

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What kind of exaust system are you going to use? If your ganna keep the stock single outlet cabby one, the cam wont make much of a difference.
With a dual downpipe, im guessing around 130hp at the crank.

Modified by Akira714 at 9:12 AM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (texboy99)

right now i have 2.50 cat back and i have a dual outlet manifold w/ downpipe i just need to put a hole in for the o2 sensor.
also do i have to change my shfit linkage since the gti is a mk2 and doesnt a 90 cabby have mk1 linkage?

Modified by whiterabbit90 at 6:01 PM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: (texboy99)

if it's a 91 engine then it's hydraulic, and that means it's almost certainly not the G-grind (solid lifter) cam. whaterver it is, if it's around a 260* then the very most you could gain would be 5 crank horses, and another 5 with the cam gear, MAYBE 5-6 with the chip.
and that's assuming you have a good exhaust. you could get 7-10 crank horses with that alone.
so, 5+5+6+10 = a 25bhp gain over the 94bhp of that motor (total 120 at the most). honestly, you should get a 2.0 bottom end. then you'd be looking at a total crank output of about 135.
this is the very best you could expect assuming the engine has perfect compression and very little wear and the mods have their highest effect.

Modified by -vertigo- at 1:11 PM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Re: (-vertigo-)

Quote, originally posted by -vertigo- »

so, 5+5+6+10 = a 25bhp gain over the 94bhp of that motor (total 120 at the most). honestly, you should get a 2.0 bottom end. then you'd be looking at a total crank output of about 135.

I thought the 91 GTI came with a 110hp motor stock.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: (Akira714)

You might be right, I was thinking about the 91 2H motor.
The euro 1.8 motor was rated at 110, so if the US versions were the same then it's already got a euro cam (perhaps that's what he meant) and a better flowing exhaust. Adding a cam gear is going to help, possibly a chip, but I wouldn't expect more than 5 hp for each. The exhaust is simply going to keep the engine running at it's stock rating if it was a 110hp motor.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Re: (-vertigo-)

Quote, originally posted by -vertigo- »
You might be right, I was thinking about the 91 2H motor.

From what I know, the 91 GTI had the PF engine. The 2H was
90-92 Cabriolet only. Btw my mistake, the PF comes with 105hp for the American version.

Modified by Akira714 at 11:00 PM 7-25-2005

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.