VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New, used or slightly damaged grill and bumper cover wanted...

for experimental purposes. Please IM Paldi.

I wonder, will it fit?

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
Re: New, used or slightly damaged grill and bumper cover wanted... (Paldi)

Quote, originally posted by Paldi »
I wonder, will it fit?

not without some serious work.

·
Banned
10,632 Posts
Re: New, used or slightly damaged grill and bumper cover wanted... (VWNDAHS)

Hi Fred. Have you tried to measure this? I think the D1 is going to be a lottt wider than the Eos. I will take my extra 05LWB grill with me tomorrow and hold it up for comparison...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Consider a significant portion of the shinyest part will be covered by the front plate if one is required in your state. After the plate holder is in place, there is no chrome "excess", at least to my taste.

·
Banned
10,632 Posts
Re: Non chrome alternatives (Paldi)

Fred, I forgot to carry my spare grill to the Zentrum until today. The Eos grill is about >this< much wider than the D1, which really surprised me! The Passat grills are about the same as well (and cheaper). Here are some photos from loose parts I have...

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Non chrome alternatives (OEMpl.us)

Perfect! You would want the shield grill to be slightly wider than the stock D1, as seen in the following photo. >this< much would do it. Also, it looks like the grill opening (slats area) is about the same as the D1. These photos look perfect. Is this the Eos or the Passat?
Perfect except for the part line between the hood and the bumper. :-(

Modified by Paldi at 12:24 AM 8-31-2006

Modified by Paldi at 9:48 PM 9-4-2006

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Eos would be better - smaller VW emblem and 3 horizontal slats instead of 4 on the Passat..

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I recently acquired a Passat front bumper cover. The grill opening on this thing is too wide and it just will not fit. Period. Maybe the Eos?

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Re: Non chrome alternatives (Paldi)

Fred, heck, you could fit an Eos in the trunk of a Phaeton - or maybe the back seat of a LWB Phaeton! If you manage to get an Eos front bumper onto a Phaeton (without taking a run at it, at 60 MPH or so) you will be a miracle worker.

Michael

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Non chrome alternatives (PanEuropean)

Gotta do something to get the mesh grill OFF.

Michael, I believe the width at the top of the Eos grill is about the same as the Phaeton, but I can't verify as my car is in the shop. The crucial measurement then would be the vertical dimension. I don't mind buying a damaged one to experiment with, but I hope no one here cracks theirs on a light post so I get one.
At the end of the day, I will probably put on the grill you put on your Phaeton. That's hands down the best stock grill available.

Modified by Paldi at 1:24 PM 11-13-2006

1 - 14 of 14 Posts