VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hey All!

I wanted to take a moment and introduce JPM Coachworks to the forum as we've recently become sponsors. You've probably seen a lot of our previous work on Subarus among other cars. We've also done a few things for the MK6 platform and are currently working with the fine gentleman at VW Vortex on their MK2 Golf build.

Here's a quick overview of our products and services....

Custom Work:

From steering wheels and shift boots to full custom builds. We can tackle any size job. No job is too small or too large :) Here are just a couple of examples from my own TDI and a lovely RWB 911...

RECARO Aftermarket Seating - Ergonomic, Tuning & Motosports - Custom Coverings Available!

We are an authorized distributor and installer for Recaro. If you are local, you're welcome to come by the shop and test drive the seats on display. Also, we can custom fabricate new covers for any Recaro seat to match your existing interior or per your specifications. Here are some examples from the most recent SOWO that some of you might have seen:

OEM VW Materials & genuine Alcantara

We are your source for OEM VW materials and genuine Alcantara! We sell MK1, MK6 and MK7 GTI and GTD fabrics by the foot directly from our website: http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/shop-materials.html?cat=36

We look forward to being a larger part of this community and developing items for all the platforms. We also hope you consider us for any of your custom needs. Feel free to contact us with any questions, ideas, or for help on your next DIY project.

Email: sales @ jpmcoachworks
PM: [email protected] Coachworks
Phone: 770-293-2120

Also, feel free to check out our other work and follow us on: Facebook | Flickr | Instagram

·
Sausage King of Chicago
100,671 Posts
FYI, JPM has supplied the Alcantara and Clark fabrics for the VWVortex mk2 restoration project. In case you're not following the mk2 build thread, here is an example of their work:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I checked out the site and saw some nice work.

There are bits and pieces out there from several vendors, but what the US MK1 GTI community really needs is US interior restoration components... blue or red. Maybe not much money in that endeavor, but hey.. it's the MK1 forum :)

regular Rabbit interiors I'm not so familiar with, but maybe they need some support too (light blue's, tan's, etc).

I see some vendors selling cabby type (black interior) parts, but it is still very hard to find drk blue/red GTI fabric, panels, door cards, etc.

I've never seen checker plaid on a MK1, did they come with that? which models / years?

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,655 Posts
sciroccos came with checker and plaid

the problem with most US made rabbits is the combination vinyl & cloth seat design
although plenty of deluxe models had all vinyl or all velour

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The majority of Recaros in A1 cars came from A2 cars. Do you sell A2 power and non-power "jackets" that we can install ourselves?

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The majority of Recaros in A1 cars came from A2 cars. Do you sell A2 power and non-power "jackets" that we can install ourselves?
Not sure what you mean by "jackets." Do you mean the actual seat cover? if so, we don't have a pattern on hand but if we had an original, we could duplicate it in either new material or original if we can locate it. Let me know if that's not what you meant.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
:thumbup: bikesandcars-

JPM welcome, the US 1983-1984 Rabbit Gti crowd seems to be gathering steam with restoration work and could use a quality company to work with that is familiar with the factory recaro type seats. Even with shipping costs, I'll bet that there are at least 20+ people on this board that would pay a reasonable fee to rebuild their seats to factory spec. Many more would be happy to ship a bolster to JPM be redone if you have some time to fill in between big jobs. SMS Auto Fabrics in OR repops the cloth material and I am told they will provide wholesale pricing to upholstery shops in volume. I have also been told (forgot who to credit this to!) that Mk1Autohaus has bolsters that can be modified to work as I have not found anyone recently with access to originals.
Hoffa

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

JPM welcome, the US 1983-1984 Rabbit Gti crowd seems to be gathering steam with restoration work and could use a quality company to work with that is familiar with the factory recaro type seats. Even with shipping costs, I'll bet that there are at least 20+ people on this board that would pay a reasonable fee to rebuild their seats to factory spec. Many more would be happy to ship a bolster to JPM be redone if you have some time to fill in between big jobs. SMS Auto Fabrics in OR repops the cloth material and I am told they will provide wholesale pricing to upholstery shops in volume. I have also been told (forgot who to credit this to!) that Mk1Autohaus has bolsters that can be modified to work as I have not found anyone recently with access to originals.
Hoffa
Great information! I haven't heard of SMS so I'll be getting in touch with them today to get the details on what it takes to have custom fabrics made and what all they have for VW's in general.

-Joe

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "jackets." Do you mean the actual seat cover? if so, we don't have a pattern on hand but if we had an original, we could duplicate it in either new material or original if we can locate it. Let me know if that's not what you meant.

-Joe
Exactly what I meant, the seat covers themselves. The power and no power seats are different. If there was any real interest, I could provide original covers for both power and non power versions.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I know SMS Auto Fabric has already been mentioned, but I would like to reiterate that they seem to have made some nice OEM GTi stuff.

Image source: http://derekspratt.com/HTML/Automotive/1983_Rabbit_GTI_2_Interior.html

I would be interested to see how much it would cost to recreate some original VW fabric besides just GTi stuff. More curious than anything as I don't have money to spend on seats right now....one day though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Aren't the standard seats made from more commercially available solid fabrics / vinyls?

The main issue with GTI seats in particular is that darn fabric, and the fact that there is only fabric for sale. Someone should commercially get the fabric, get a pattern, then offer new seat coverings (not just seat covers that go over the original, I mean new seat covering that goes over foam). The covering of a seat is a great DIY project, the stitching of seats and sourcing of material is best left to professional stitchers IMO

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Aren't the standard seats made from more commercially available solid fabrics / vinyls? I dont believe that cabby stuff is

The main issue with GTI seats in particular is that darn fabric, and the fact that there is only fabric for sale. Someone should commercially get the fabric, get a pattern, then offer new seat coverings (not just seat covers that go over the original, I mean new seat covering that goes over foam). The covering of a seat is a great DIY project, the stitching of seats and sourcing of material is best left to professional stitchers IMO That is a great comment and idea. I bet they could make some money with those. Shouldn't be too hard to make a batch either

·
Registered
148 Posts
The other issue with the US GTI fabric is that SMS is only making the blue fabric. If you have red, you are SOL, unless you want to pay the setup costs like someone did for the blue for SMS or someone else to begin reproducing it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Hoffa
Hi Joe, I IM'd for work on a Racemark steering wheel refurb and a Gti bolster repair:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I checked out the site and saw some nice work.

There are bits and pieces out there from several vendors, but what the US MK1 GTI community really needs is US interior restoration components... blue or red. Maybe not much money in that endeavor, but hey.. it's the MK1 forum :)

regular Rabbit interiors I'm not so familiar with, but maybe they need some support too (light blue's, tan's, etc).

I see some vendors selling cabby type (black interior) parts, but it is still very hard to find drk blue/red GTI fabric, panels, door cards, etc.

I've never seen checker plaid on a MK1, did they come with that? which models / years?
YES! im with this guy I want LIPSTICK RED!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I know SMS Auto Fabric has already been mentioned, but I would like to reiterate that they seem to have made some nice OEM GTi stuff.

Image source: http://derekspratt.com/HTML/Automotive/1983_Rabbit_GTI_2_Interior.html

I would be interested to see how much it would cost to recreate some original VW fabric besides just GTi stuff. More curious than anything as I don't have money to spend on seats right now....one day though.
Is that seat re-upholstered??? It looks terribly done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts