VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I just purchased a reflex silver VR6 GTi 5sp. I really had my heart set on a 1.8T 5sp manual (being the owner of a previous turbo'd car I know the pontential of turbos). I couldn't find a dealer within 100miles with a 5sp manual 1.8T. Is it true the manual tranny plant went on strike as I was told creating the shortage? Anyway I had no time to wait for either a manual 1.8T or the 24V VR6 so how good are these things (current VR6) with simple bolt ons like int, exh and chip. I'd consider s supercharger if one were available and the car werent so new. Here's a pic of my pevious engine (well I still own it but it will sit. its a turbo'd non-turbo 95 eagle talon BTW)
.It had forged pistons, a huge T3/T4 turbo where boost wasn't even noticeable until 3500rpm but it did have 240hp @ the wheels. The Quality/reliability of the car isn't great though which is why I'm now a VW man. What can the GTi run (1/4) with simple bolt ons?

[Modified by 02GTI-VR6, 1:22 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Re: New VR6 owner..mistake or no? (Zuber Speed)

quote:[HR][/HR]what kind of car was that?....honda?[HR][/HR]​
Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon i believe he said ...

·
Banned
8,951 Posts
Re: New VR6 owner..mistake or no? (Zuber Speed)

Did you miss the part where he said Eagle Talon??
With Intake Exhaust and a Chip, which makes up most of the bolt ons you can expect mid/high 14's with minimal weoght reduction (removed spare and back seat) The only other two mods that arent FI are pullies and cams. I have all the above plus cams (schrick 260/264) but I cant give you a good et because I have a hue stereo and 10 inch rear wheels. the car is called fat bastard for a reason.
With all 5 of those mods no stereo, spare or back seat, with stock wheels, I am going to say mid,low 14's emphasis on mid and if your willing to spray you will break 13's easy. You can go a lot further without turbo or a SC but than you will end up with no interior and tranny mods. that should sum it up.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Re: New VR6 owner..mistake or no? (I_Fly_GTi)

Cold Air Intake, TT 2.5" exhaust, GIAC chip, DSR256 cams, pulleys (unorthodox racing)... that should put u into mid 14's

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: New VR6 owner..mistake or no? (02GTI-VR6)

I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I also ended up with a silver 01 gti vr6. I upgraded from a 2000 2.0 jetta so I have no complaints. the 2002 1.8t wasn't out when I got my gti so I could only compare my vr6 with the 1.8t (150hp). I personally think you cannot compare the two engines. The vr6 has so much low end torque and it way smoother than the turbo four. I just hope I don't regret it when the 24v vr6 comes out

·
Banned
8,951 Posts
Re: New VR6 owner..mistake or no? (GTI628V)

The thing I like about the schricks vs. DSR is the main complaint about the schricks is that you lose low end.....when do you see low end?? Only in first gear. And losing a little imediate low end wouldnt be the ned of the world as it will help keep you from spinning the tires as much on a launch. When you shift your right at 3,000 again and you get much more high end with the Schricks. my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts