VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New VW VR6 model coming soon or the 1.8T (green01GTI)

is it really going to be that much better...yes it will have the 6spd but it will only about 200hp and will be heavier than the 1.8T
i was looking at mods for the 1.8T and saw that the chip mod, exhaust and intake will bring it up to specs with the new VR6 or even maybe pass it....
but thats all here-say anyhow

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: New VW VR6 model coming soon or the 1.8T (tremorz)

Its not that I don't like the 1.8T, I like that engine and yes a chip a good cat-back can bring it close to 201hp, even more. But since I dont want to mod it, I want something that will have some power from the factory. And the VR6 is what I'm looking for. If you're not in a hurry to buy, if you have a car that can wait a few month, wait before buying and go to test drive both.

[Modified by green01GTI, 12:52 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Re: New VW VR6 model coming soon or the 1.8T (VarLordahl)

quote:[HR][/HR]My opinion would be that you should maybe consider USING THE DAMN [email protected]#$ING SEARCH FEATURE AND NOT UNLOAD A CAN OF WORMS ON US INOCENT BYSTANDERS THAT HAVE TO WADE THROUGH ANOTHER ENGINE WAR.
sorry[HR][/HR]​
the search function sucks a$$ http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif I guess you never tried it

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: New VW VR6 model coming soon or the 1.8T (Golf 2 Slow GLS)

I am gonna go with an ITS 57 trim T3/TO4E, dual BB. Gonna use a .36 a/r till I get the motor built, then, set the rev limit at 8000, open up the exhaust side, and make some serious power. Even then, I will be lucky to keep up with the power a built VR6 can make... looking for 425-450 wheel when all is said and done... for the street car anyway
Race car will be in the 500-550 range
_______
Billy T.
2000 Golf GLS 1.8t
[email protected]
No secrets... none, nada, zilch. http://www.alamoautosports.com/billy
Dubspeed Racing

Both great engines! Pick your prefrence...Boost or power!!! I just wanted to show all da 1.8T owners what Billy T. says about the VR6's power.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Re: New VW VR6 coming soon or the 1.8T (VRC-YA)

VR6 man, just a smoother powertrain.. Chip, Cams, Intake, Exhaust.... on a 24V that will give u a SH*T load of power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It depends on where you live...

i have to say this bacause i live in mexico city 2240mts above sea level, i have driven VR6 and it is a turtle, you have to take 10% every 1000mts that is almoust 23% of 174hp on a VR6 that is 133.98 hp, so if you have the 1.8 T, mine is 177Hp at all alttitudes for my needs where i live i went for 1.8 T.
Ricardo

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Well, I suppose it depends on what you want. If you want to keep it stock, and you want silky smooth shifting and gobs of refinement, go with the 201 hp 6. However, if you want to mod a bit, like to hear the engine a bit, and love the slightly more sporty shifting of the 1.8T, go with the 4 cyl. You will get all kinds of different opinions here. None is wrong. They are both great cars. If you are in no hurry, I would wait and test drive both. That way, you can build your own opinion.
<whispers> Go for the 1.8T baby!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
943 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The 1.8t will be faster for $325 (upsolute). For the price of the new VR6 it will blow it away and get better MPG!!!!
[HR][/HR]​
Are u sure about that?
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
900 Posts
Re: New VW VR6 model coming soon or the 1.8T (Kwan1)

It should be. 1.8t has about 210 hp chipped. Vr6 has 201. They add in the weight of the car and you do the math!
quote:[HR][/HR]The 1.8t will be faster for $325 (upsolute). For the price of the new VR6 it will blow it away and get better MPG!!!!

Are u sure about that?
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

[HR][/HR]​
Muhahaha. j/p. Chip a 24V VR6 (240/260), and the 1.8T will pee in its pants for mercy.
Now, force induction in the VR6 baby... and "abandon all hope 'ye who enter here..." will have to be the sticker on the back of the car....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: New VW VR6 model coming soon or the 1.8T (NiteQwill)

quote:[HR][/HR]Muhahaha. j/p. Chip a 24V VR6 (240/260), and the 1.8T will pee in its pants for mercy.[HR][/HR]​
Maybe I'm missing something.
40-60 more HP on a Naturally Aspirated engine just from chipping it?????
"I don't think so tim" --AL

·
Registered
593 Posts

VW really boned this one up! Now let me get this straight. The "new" VR6 is going to come out in late spring as a what, 2002.5 model. Okay, if that's so, what doorknob would buy it, when they could wait another couple of months a get a 2003 model?
Then, you'll of course pay, at least, MSRP for the car. And, for 2004, here comes the Mk5 models, complete redesign, 200+ pounds lighter, and top of the line engine is the 3.2 liter 240 hp+ VR6!
So again, the 201 HP VR6 while it will surely be quite quick (low 6's to 60) it is a stop gap. Kinda like the 1993 Mustang "Cobra" was for Ford. Made a few body changes, a few mods to the engine (giving it about 25 or so more HP) and a "Cobra" badge just to quell people's desire before the completely new 1994 Mustang GT was released!
So, in that case, GET the 2002 1.8T NOW! It won't be as fast as the 201 HP GTI but you have it NOW. It'll handle better, get better gas mileage, and cost probably two grand less than the 201 HP VR6 will be. Then, if you feel insecure about the fact that your 180 HP GTI isn't the fastest on the block when the 201 HP version is FINALLY released, chip the 1.8T for 210 HP and your back on top of the stock 201 hp VR6 and still have an extra $1500 in pocket.
Then when the 2004's come out trade in your 2002 after for the GTI RSi with 240+ HP and drive by with a smile on your face
as you pass the guys who just recently bought a 2003 GTI VR6 and now feel like they drive an old car!
If VW would have done the smart thing and released the 201 HP VR6 here AT THE SAME TIME as they did with the 180 HP 1.8T, then I would probably have said, get the VR6, have the extra performance without having to risk voiding your warranty with a chip. But, and it's a BIG BUT, VW didn't

I got my first VW in 1989, it was a 1987 GTI, and if there is one thing I've learned about VW, is that don't waste your time trying to figure out why they do SO many things they do and don't count on them doing what they say they will WHEN they say they will, it'll drive you nutz.
Get the 2002 1.8T you'll be happy, and about the time you are ready for a change, the 2004's will be out. And, if you want to stay with a turbo, be happy to know, the 1.8T will go bye-bye for the new 2.0T http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Enjoy it NOW!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.