VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

1983 280E, 151K, German-spec, small bumpers, E-codes with levelers, cloth, crank windows, 2.8L DOHC gas straight six. Much nicer to drive in the winter than my slammed Golf.

Eric

G

·
Re: New W123 daily driver... (vwbora1)

Wow, nice ride. And is that your house? If it is, then I'm really jealous, because that's gorgeous too.

· Registered
7,462 Posts

Looks good--not much rust. You should do it a favor and get all the body rust taken care of. Do that and it'll last another 22 years. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New W123 daily driver... (jddaigle)

Quote, originally posted by jddaigle »
Looks good--not much rust. You should do it a favor and get all the body rust taken care of. Do that and it'll last another 22 years. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks guys. Yeah I am wire-brushing all the rust this week and then treating it with Rust-Mort, then priming, then having my paint guys at work touch up all the spots I've fixed (I work at a VW dealership and so have access to on-site touch-up). Also bought chrome cowl vents off eBay from a 300D.
I'm having a new exhaust built for it this week as the OEM system is leaky in about five places. Other than that the car needs no attention mechanically - original owner had the car for 20 years, and all maintenance was performed. Cold A/C, hot heat, brakes good, engine strong and clean on the sniffer. Tranny shifts great. Everything on the car works - vacuum locking, all lights inside/out. Pretty quick for what it is - we raced it against an 06 Jetta TDI DSG at work and it pulled right away from the oil-burner.
After the exhaust, I'm putting the original wheels back on which I got with the car - 14" steelies with the original hubcaps with the white-painted centers. Fresh set of little Pirellis go on at the same time. It's weird.. I'm used to buying 18" performance tires or Hoosiers for autocross, so it's odd to buy 14" tires for $50.

Eric

· Registered
2004 MK4 Golf 2.0, 2006 K1500, 1985 442, 2012 Ford Flex EB
2,786 Posts

Your new car is friggin' sweet, everytime I find one it's usually a rust pit or in need of a lot of maintenance. I'd love to get my hands on a clean one.

· Registered
2004 MK4 Golf 2.0, 2006 K1500, 1985 442, 2012 Ford Flex EB
2,786 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwbora1 »
Perhaps to irritate people looking for a clean W123 even more.. I picked this up for $1K.

Eric

DAMN! After I get my Scirocco sold, I'm going on a serious hunt for a clean W123, for 25yrs old they are awesome riding and driving cars.

· Registered
249 Posts
Re: New W123 daily driver... (VdubChaos)

I've seen one like this a while ago with 30k miles in an unbelievable condition for 27k USD

I would really like a wagon like that. Does anybody have pictures of nicely done wagons?
Adrian.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.