VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW just released an updated service bulletin for fixing the window regulators. The previous procedure was to replace the entire regulator if the car was under warranty. In addition, VW made available a clip kit that could be used for non-warranty repairs, or for warranty repairs in the event that regulators were backordered.
The new procedure is to repair the regulator, if possible, with a new clip and cable kit. There is also an updated complete regulator in case your old one is completely destroyed. The supply of parts is very limited at this time, so if your regulator is broken right now, you may end up getting the old parts in order to get your car back on the road.
The new kit is on the left, old kit on the right:

It's hard to see, but the new kit is made in Mexico and the old kit is made in Germany. I guess the people in Germany couldn't get the job done.
This is the contents of the new kit. The box is much bigger because the new kit also incudes a new cable while the old kit was just the clips:

Because the cables are different, there are different kits for 4drs and 2drs, and another one for New Beetles (also separate kits for left and right sides for each car). If you are paying for the parts, the price of the new kit is about $20. the old kit was only about $10, but as mentioned it did not include the cable.
New clips on the left, old clips on the right:

-Chris

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (ChrisM)

do you know what the part number is?
is the one in your pics for power or non-power windows?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

They should have done them correctly in the first place.....too much plastic these days!

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (2K1Jettaz)

Thank freaking god. It was abou time. There is hope for VW yet!
Now, when are they going to get a good transmission?

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (2K1Jettaz)

really so they really did make a window regulator that is 100000x stronger then before?..
hmm I posted that a while back just joking around. But I wonder if VW actually reads the threads for ideas??
SAmc

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (vwgtirob)

quote:[HR][/HR]OMG! They did it!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
[HR][/HR]​
I'd wait to see if it really works... If within the next six month no one complains about these new regulators, I'll start dancing around... Right now I'm still as skeptical as yesterday

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (nianmuzik)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd wait to see if it really works... If within the next six month no one complains about these new regulators, I'll start dancing around... Right now I'm still as skeptical as yesterday
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, I've been skeptical too, but this is the first time I've actually seen a part that's materially different (pun not intended) than the same old part that's been breaking. If these are actually the ones that are going out there, then the problem really is fixed. These are the parts that are breaking, and you can easily see that the plastic that has been breaking has been replaced with a metal casting with a nylon (I think) sleeve for reduced friction and noise...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Hmmm. I haven't had a problem with my windows yet. I wonder how long it will take for dealerships to start using the new kits?
BTW, how did you get this new kit? I don't know you - do you work on the inside?

edit: Out of curiosity, do Seats, Skodas and Audis have the same window regulator problems as our VWs do? Is it just VW or just NA-spec VWs?

[Modified by agarc, 4:19 PM 6-27-2002]

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (agarc)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hmmm. I haven't had a problem with my windows yet. I wonder how long it will take for dealerships to start using the new kits?[HR][/HR]​
Same here http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good question though

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (vwgtirob)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd wait to see if it really works... If within the next six month no one complains about these new regulators, I'll start dancing around... Right now I'm still as skeptical as yesterday

Yeah, I've been skeptical too, but this is the first time I've actually seen a part that's materially different (pun not intended) than the same old part that's been breaking. If these are actually the ones that are going out there, then the problem really is fixed. These are the parts that are breaking, and you can easily see that the plastic that has been breaking has been replaced with a metal casting with a nylon (I think) sleeve for reduced friction and noise...[HR][/HR]​
You're right, they do look much stronger than the previous ones but i'm still going to wait before shouting victory.
Besides, as someone mentioned it, i'm not sure when they'll start using the new regulators. I'm sure you can ask for one when your regulator fails.
So far, my 2k1 gti has had no regulator failure and i'm reaching 35k very soon... [knocking on wood with one hand and typing with the other] "knock on wood" [/knocking on wood with one hand and typing with the other]

·
Registered
172 Posts

sweet, now do i need to break all my regulators b4 the warranty runs out or will they replace the existing weaker ones if i ask.

·
Registered
432 Posts

If this is anything like programming (and I think it is).... just wonder how many other problems they have introduced by fixing this one

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (cuski)

quote:[HR][/HR]If this is anything like programming (and I think it is).... just wonder how many other problems they have introduced by fixing this one
[HR][/HR]​
LOL, I can just see it now.
"Help my windows regulator is jammed, my windows won't open!!"

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
41,250 Posts
Re: New window regulator parts (Apocrates)

quote:[HR][/HR]ok- dumb question... is the window regulator issue only for powered windows?
[HR][/HR]​
Yup.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts