VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
27,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALBANY - Here's a flashing yellow signal for drivers who run stop lights.
New York is poised to double the number of red-light cameras scattered around the city to 100 from 50, the Daily News has learned.
Last year, the 50 cameras snapped 338,000 photos of license plates on cars that sped through traffic signals, said a spokesman for state Sen. Frank Padavan (R-Queens), who sponsored the measure.
At $105 a summons, that many tickets would add up to more than $35 million.
The new cameras are supported by the City Council and Mayor Bloomberg, who was hoping the additional revenue would help plug the city's budget gap.
But the bill in Albany needed to authorize them had been tied up in the Assembly, blocked in committee by Assemblyman David Gantt (D-Rochester).
Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette (D-Queens), who has been pushing his colleagues to authorize the cameras, said they should get the green light in September.
"It got caught up in all the politics at the end of the session, but the way is clear now because we have addressed all the concerns" of skeptics, he said.
The GOP-led Senate passed the legislation in June.
Three weeks ago, Lafayette issued an unusually tart statement blasting Gantt, chairman of the Assembly's Transportation Committee.
A frustrated Lafayette said then that Gantt "clearly does not believe in making the streets in the City of New York safer for motorists and pedestrians."
But Lafayette said yesterday that he and Gantt resolved their differences after he agreed to address civil liberties concerns.
For instance, the measure ensures the cameras will film cars only from the back and that caught-on-camera violations will not result in drivers getting tagged with points that could lead to a license suspension.
Gantt, who has publicly questioned the effectiveness of the cameras, could not be reached for comment.
A Harris poll last year found that 83% of Americans support the use of red-light cameras for traffic enforcement.
Nationally, running red lights is the leading cause of urban car crashes, resulting in 181,000 injuries and 880 fatalities in 2001, the most recent year for which statistics are available.
Traffic experts estimate the cameras cut red-light running by up to 70%.
According to figures on the city Department of Transportation's Web site, more than 1.4 million summonses have been issued because of the cameras since the program started in 1993. Only 7,000 people have beaten the tickets.

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (vdubjb)

Running red lights has gotten out of hand here in Houston, IMO. There isn't a day that goes by on my commute from work and back that I don't see some idiot running a red light.
I would love to see these installed here.

· Registered
12,885 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vdubjb »
A Harris poll last year found that 83% of Americans support the use of red-light cameras for traffic enforcement.

Who did they poll, city council people who directly benefit from the revenue?
Quote »
Traffic experts estimate the cameras cut red-light running by up to 70%.

Stats also show that properly setup lights reduce red light running far more than cameras. I love how they always mention how much money the cameras generate.

· Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (sjpassat)

I believe in red light cameras. The way they work is they get a picture of you before the intersection with the light red (with a speed readout). Then one of you in the intersection (with another speed readout).
I know people that hate them but I've almost been hit a few times by people who run red lights late and I think those people are asking for tickets.

· Registered
27,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (nemesis099)

I dont want to start that debate again. Just seems that the cities have found a cash cow. I would imagine, anyone that Harris polled, has read or heard of articles that say the cams work. I have never seen proof that the cams reduce accidents. They simply make money. 35 mill is alot of free money. Only 7000 people have been able to fight the tickets. I would love to see what defenses they've used. I am willing to bet, that with bureacracy, not much of that 35 mill will make it's way to the deficit...

· Registered
6,348 Posts

The thing wouldn't be a big money maker if people would just stop running red lights. I don't think as many accident happen from red light running as but I think it is a sign of an aggressive driver. Plus an inexperienced driver who jolts when the light turns green has a higher chance of getting hit if someone runs the red.
Basically stop running red lights and the cameras don't generate money.

· Banned
8,913 Posts
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (sjpassat)

Quote, originally posted by sjpassat »
Running red lights has gotten out of hand here in Houston, IMO. There isn't a day that goes by on my commute from work and back that I don't see some idiot running a red light.
I would love to see these installed here.

Red light cameras do not reduce red light running. IN EVERY recorded instance, red light running (and thus ticketable offenses) Have gone up (much to the delight of the City officials who rake in the bucks).
It's been proven time and again that increasing the length of the yellow by one second reduces red light entries by at least 75%, and usually closer to 90%. If anyone was interested in REAL safety, that's what they'd do. A few cities have done that, and had to cancel their red light camera contracts as they started losing money.
Do we have to go through the last thread again? Cities installing red light cameras have knowingly and willfully modified theri yellows from previous engieering principles specifically to CREATE more red light entries at the end of the yellow, specifically to increase revenues. These revenues are paid in large part to the subcontractors that make and install the cameras. The contracts specify percentages of revenue, and are paid on a performance basis. Meaning, the companies installing the cameras are paid by how many tickets are generated. This has created a situation (preven in court, and in the report by the House Majority Leader) where those contractors have intentionally made the systems CREATE red light runners from ordinary citizens, in order to make more money.
Cynical? Not when it's been proven in court.
People entering the intersection or are already in the intersection right after the end of the yellow are NOT the cause of red light accidents. But they are the ONLY ones targeted by red light cameras.
New york intersections would be safer with an added second of yellow. New York coffers will be filled better by additional red light cameras.

· Registered
12,885 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nemesis099 »
The thing wouldn't be a big money maker if people would just stop running red lights. I don't think as many accident happen from red light running as but I think it is a sign of an aggressive driver. Plus an inexperienced driver who jolts when the light turns green has a higher chance of getting hit if someone runs the red.
'
You need to read the debates we've had here about this before. Its been proved time again, that red light cameras do not make a place safer. There is a reason organizations like AAA are adamantly against these. If you want to believe that, I also have some beach front property for sale in Kansas.

edit - ok, Chris has now posted.

· Banned
8,913 Posts

You simply don't get it, do you? If the light goes yellow when you're 2 carlengths from the intersection, you won't stop in time unless you're Michael Schumacher in an F1 car. When cities then SHORTEN the length of yellow so that you end up in the intersection ON the red because you weren't given enough warning to stop in time, then BAM, you're nailed.
Virtually NO red light running accidents are caused by people entering the intersection or are already IN the intersection AS the light goes red, but those are the ONLY people getting caught.

· Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
9,489 Posts
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (Chris V)

I get the sinking feeling that this move was intentionally set into place simply to make money by NYC's billionaire mayor. Sure, people can cry "public safety," but NYC's recent draconian increases in fines for lots of assinine offenses only point toward one motive: profit.
Sometimes I absolutely, positively hate living here - but then again, I have a damn good job and there are a lot of excellent places to eat....

Tom

· Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (surefooted)

Quote, originally posted by surefooted »
'
You need to read the debates we've had here about this before. Its been proved time again, that red light cameras do not make a place safer. There is a reason organizations like AAA are adamantly against these. If you want to believe that, I also have some beach front property for sale in Kansas.

edit - ok, Chris has now posted.

Maybe you misunderstood what I said but I agree that accidents wouldn't decrease really from red light cameras but I still think they are a good idea if used properly.
I didn't know about the illegal use with the yellow being shorter. I disagree with that but if that wasn't going on then i agree with them totally. Plus they are only supposed to catch people that run reds not those that enter the intersection with the light still yellow.

· Registered
12,885 Posts

but I still think they are a good idea if used properly.

I understand. But they are not used properly anywhere. That's why people are agaisnt them.

· Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: New Yorkers, congrats on getting more redlight cams.. (surefooted)

Quote, originally posted by surefooted »

I understand. But they are not used properly anywhere. That's why people are agaisnt them.

Where I live I only know of one person that has gotten a ticket and thats my sister. Most intersections have them and I usually come close to running lights but yet I've never recieved a ticket in the mail. I don't think the yellow has been made shorter but maybe my area is one of the few.
Now parking spaces is another matter most don't fit compact cars.

· Registered
6,701 Posts
Re: more redlight cams...

Don't get me started...
The facts have all been posted in previous threads on this subject.
I don't have the energy to get involved in this asinine debate again.
ChrisV, carry on and Godspeed.

· Banned
6,576 Posts

Quote »
Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette (D-Queens), who has been pushing his colleagues to authorize the cameras, said they should get the green light in September.

This guy deserves a bullet through the mouth and a bullet through the eye.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Re: more redlight cams... (GMoney)

Forget the city. People usually aren't going that fast anyways. Bring some reform and crackdown on red light runners out here on the Island. If traffic is moderate and a yellow light hits, usually 2-3 cars blow through the red light at EVERY intersection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.