VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<---Newb to the site. Have a VW Railbuggy question, and have no clue where to post it

Hi everyone,
Im new to this site and I have no clue where to post my problem. Im buying a railbuggy from a friend (obivouisly its using an air-cooled VW engine/trans.) My friend tells me that the motor turns over when not hooked up to the trans, but wont when hooked up. I dont know a whole lot about VW's, but Im assuming its something with the clutch lockout that keeps it from turning over without the clutch pedal in (I dont know if VW's even have one, but I think they do) or maybe the TO bearing. Im trying to gather as much info as I can before I actually start trying to fix it, that way I kind of know what Im doing. Im not mechanically Illiterate, I just dont know alot about VW motors. Any Help???
Thanks in advance,
SJ

Modified by SphericJ at 10:17 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: <---Newb to the site. Have a VW Railbuggy question, and have no cl ... (SphericJ)

No ideas here, but I'm sure you might be able to get a better handle on the cause once the car is in front of you. Aircooled VWs are pretty easy to sort out & diagnose, as a rule. Good luck, and enjoy the rail once you get it going.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: <---Newb to the site. Have a VW Railbuggy question, and have no cl ... (SphericJ)

Well, it may be something as simple as the transaxle is the problem... perhaps the ebrake or turning brakes are on and it's in gear! That would be a nice easy fix!

If it's not that then a possible culprit is a mismatch with the clutch assembly and the transaxle. If it's a later IRS trans and the clutch assembly is made for an earlier input shaft on swing axle then the collar inside the throw-out bearing in the transaxle will mash-up against the clutch's diaphram and lock-up the engine...
Another possibility is that the flywheel is snagging-up on the inside of the bell housing of the transaxle somewhere. Look for marks inside the bell housing where perhaps teeth of the flywheel are getting caught.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks eveyone. I found out that the motor is not the same one that came with the trans, so Im guessing its what wrenchmonkey said and the collar on the TO bearing is pressing against the clutch. Ill check it and the flywheel out as soon as I can pull the motor, probably this weekend.
Thanks again all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts