VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Went to do my spark plugs last week, and not surprisingly, one of the release tabs broke off on one of the coil connectors.

Any magic tricks to getting the connector off without the tab in place? I was thinking of pressing down on the connector a bit, and sticking a bent-for-purpose paper clip down the hole on the side to try to pry the clip off the tang.

Surprised by the replacement cost of these connectors!

·
Registered
16,884 Posts
My trick to getting the connectors off is to:

1)lube them with a little WD40.
2)push down on the connector
3)use a screwdriver to push the release button
4) pray
5) pull off

For removing the coilpacks use the special tool, if can be seen in the 3rd pic of this IG post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFX9pW3H4T0/?igshid=ijdx7m2m4ei

I have a box of the connectors because even being careful they break from time to time. They are cheap on aliexpress.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks G60ing!

I'll try those tricks next week and report back.

Fortunately, I have already purchased the coil pack removal tool and the special extended plug wrench, so should be good on those.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success!

Thanks for the tips. Always glad to take the cautious approach. A little fiddling and I was able to get the connector free and do the spark plug job.

I've ordered an Amazon set of 4 replacement connector housings with pin removal tool, and will replace as soon as I'm able. A couple days of driving around with the offending connector suggests it should stay put without the locking tab, but I'll replace it as soon as I can to be certain.

It was good to see the plugs came out with good color and no apparent electrode wear or gap increase. I have reason to believe these are the factory originals with 160k+ on the clock. Excellent lifespan, and probably could have gone for many more miles. There's no noticeable change in the car's running, so I think the old ones were working fine still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.