VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good friend who owns a reputable import shop in my area. He keeps hounding me to put a manual boost control on my car, and swears it would make a huge difference (he wants to crank in around 15-18psi). I dont know a whole lot about turbo cars (seeing as how this is my first one) and I am unclear as to how a manual boost controler works and what it does (and yes, Ive already run a billion searches). I am concerned with a few things. 1st and foremost is my warranty, he swears it could be quickly taken off before dealership trips but I dont want any permanent modification done to the car, can a boost control be installed with minimal modification? 2nd is reliability, as this is my only car and I am a recent college graduate just getting on my feet, I cant afford to have it be down for any amount of time. And 3rd is driveability, I would like the car to be faster, however not at the detriment of smooth revs and minimal turbo lag. Any info you have on Boost controllers and their effects on the car would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: newbie question about boost control? (fowtj)

I almost forgot, would I be smarter to just put in an APR chip? What other options are available to up boost a safe amount without major, irreversable modification? Thanks again

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: newbie question about boost control? (turbovw18)

negative ghostwriter. chip says ummm boost is good. 1.5 bar is hotter than a wet dog sitting on your lap

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: newbie question about boost control? (turbovw18)

are you saying that w/o the chip the car will go into limp mode over 1 bar? Therefore a manual boost control is virtually worthless right?

·
Registered
10,449 Posts

a manual boost controler will give you 15-20 hp, but! your engine will hate you for it! do it right chip it..... the car will get more hp (20-25hp) and it will last longer!

·
Registered
340 Posts

What I am trying to say is, One time I tried to get more boost so I confused my ecu and pretty much the rest of my car that it was runing stock boost but was running twice as much. I like to blow up stuff and gain pretty much no power but have a blow off valve as loud as a horse fart. A chips purpose is not just to raise boost but it also changes such things as timing, fuel, air meter, boost, and pretty much 23 times as much as a $2.45 boost controler. Some times when I drive my car at 23 psi and my turbo makes al of these funny noises and bleeds oil every where I think of it as breaking in, not because it is about to explode and my whole engine is about to blow up. I like to sit on trees and sing songs to my self while watching birds squack and play together as one in a simple gathering of friends in this kurupt world that we live in.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Re: newbie question about boost control? (hondaslayer)

I think a real chip is the only way to go. Get one with a "stock" mode and you should be golden. APR and Revo are supposed to be undetectable by the stealerships. If/when I end up getting a new ECU program, I may actually go with the spare ECU route. I know of a trick to keep from having to pay $2000 for a 337 ecu. We'll chat about it in person.
Hondaslayer, please put the crackpipe down. I think I know what you're trying to say. Boost controllers bump up boost without touching the fuel maps and timing. Apparently this can cause some pretty nasty damage. My guess is that the car ends up running lean. DON'T DO IT MAN! Leave that shiz to the r1cers.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re: newbie question about boost control? (Jordi)

Quote, originally posted by Jordi »
I think a real chip is the only way to go. Get one with a "stock" mode and you should be golden. APR and Revo are supposed to be undetectable by the stealerships. If/when I end up getting a new ECU program, I may actually go with the spare ECU route. I know of a trick to keep from having to pay $2000 for a 337 ecu. We'll chat about it in person.
Hondaslayer, please put the crackpipe down. I think I know what you're trying to say. Boost controllers bump up boost without touching the fuel maps and timing. Apparently this can cause some pretty nasty damage. My guess is that the car ends up running lean. DON'T DO IT MAN! Leave that shiz to the r1cers.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Agreed. Get a chip. It may cost more but it's the "right" way to do it. Especially if reliability is a concern.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: newbie question about boost control? (Jordi)

Leave what shiz to r1cers. What does that mean. He asked me what i was trying to say and I responded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts