VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my '95 Golf and want to get something in the 3-4k dollar range. I want something fun to drive but I will be doing a lot of commuting, about 86miles a day roundtrip, or about 430miles a week. I really like A2s and would like to own one someday.
My question is, is a 16v Jetta or GTI reliable enough for me to commute in without gettting stranded or should I look elsewhere? I know 8vs are reliable (at least, I know the engine is), but I want more power. I've found a couple of 16v Jettas that seem nicely maintained and have had important items replaced (e.g. the timing belt). TIA

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: Newbie question on reliability (H2O WOLF)

thats really not for us to tell you.
You are going to have to get the car inspected before you buy it to tell if its reliable.
If you're just asking for reliability stories...
I have an 8valve 85 Jetta, its got about 350,000 kms on it, the engines never been rebuilt, it still starts on the first crank every morning, and burns less oil than your average 95 Camry.
Though there is a reason for this.
I am the second owner. I bought it from my father, who taught me how to work on it when i was younger. I drive it hard, but I dont neglect it.

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
Re: Newbie question on reliability (lyledriver)

I have a 16v daily driver its true I dont put alot of miles on it but I trust it you just gotta make sure that everything is in check you gotta give it more maintenance and love than an 8v.
Plus you gotta have things fixed before you start driving it everyday... timing belt, radiator, fan switch, thermostat, water pump, heater core, ISV, but those are things that can go wrong in an 8v too so either way this is the way i look at it... its all about if you break your 16v engine your gonna pay alot more than if you break an 8v just make sure you dont break the engine every cold start give it a proper warm up dont just start flooring it and check her fluids constantly.... other than that 16v is very very very very fun!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif it will put a smile on your face when you go past 3500 rpm all the way up to the red line with its harmonious growl and its screaming revs
16v=SCREAMER
oh and just like on any car always check for oil leaks around the engine if its around the block you might have a blown head gasket and thats a pain to replace plust it may have some other stuff wrong

[Modified by danny_16v, 6:25 PM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
26,739 Posts
Re: Newbie question on reliability (danny_16v)

I put 43,000 miles on my GLI in 1999, starting with a car that had 135k mi. It never failed me once.
If you buy a car that was very well maintained, with records to prove it, and understand that any used car which is no newer than 11 years old is going to require a certain annual investment, you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Re: Newbie question on reliability (H2O WOLF)

find a reputable mechanic to do a pre purchase inspection, make sure it is a place that specializes in VW's so they know what to look for. i would get in my car and drive anywhere right now without a second thought, but it took a little while to get the kinks worked out, and my car had a fairly concious previous owner. maintanance records are mandatory, if there is any obvious neglect then it's a no-go.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: Newbie question on reliability (EbraketurnGTI)

My 16v has been more reliable than my old 8v that had 20k less miles on it.
It all comes down to how well the previous owner maintained it.
I wouldn't reccommend a 16v if you think of a car as just a mode of transportation or don't understand basic mechanics (do you know how to do a tuneup). If you are looking for just a cheap car that you don't have to worry about and can run into the ground a GLI isn't for you! Besides the engine you have all of the other options like power windows, brakes, power seats, etc.... that will start to cost money.
I LOVE my 16v and wouldn't give it up for anything. I know I'm a little different when it comes to cars than most people though.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Newbie question on reliability (88Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]I wouldn't reccommend a 16v if you think of a car as just a mode of transportation or don't understand basic mechanics (do you know how to do a tuneup). If you are looking for just a cheap car that you don't have to worry about and can run into the ground a GLI isn't for you! Besides the engine you have all of the other options like power windows, brakes, power seats, etc.... that will start to cost money.[HR][/HR]​
I definitely do not think of a car as just a mode of transportation. If I just wanted something that wouldn't have any problems and that I could run into the ground I wouldn't be into Volkswagons, hehe. I'm willing to do work on the car and learn what I don't know. But I just don't want a car that, even well maintained, is going to break down on me regularly.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Newbie question on reliability (bpfoley)

quote:[HR][/HR]plain and simple...a 16V is going to cost you money. A LOT. period.[HR][/HR]​
Can you give me some details? Anything in particular (other than the timing belt breaking) you know to be trouble?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.