VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here. I've been reading this forum for over a year; great site http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I always got oil in my thottle body. While out on the west coast on business I stopped in and talked with the quys at New Dimension I came up with a fix. Basically a catch canister (tubing from pcv to a canister then to the intake tube - drain canister every couple weeks).
My question is where is the idle stabilizer/control valve? I forgot to dump my catch canister and oil got into my TB again. I noticed after I sprayed TB cleaner and wiped out TB/butterfly that the idle would drop, come back then drop again (still does this, its been 2 months). Under acceleration the car bogs, accelerates then bogs again. Had this happen trying to keep up with a V6 Accord

I've had the traditional MAF replacement done last year. Maybe a dumb question but does TB cleaner damage the MAF sensor? I have sprayed the board down in the past. I don't know if this would cause a failure.
Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
Re: newbie question (volkwrite)

I've had the traditional MAF replacement done last year. Maybe a dumb question but does TB cleaner damage the MAF sensor? I have sprayed the board down in the past. I don't know if this would cause a failure.
OBDII cars (96 and later) had problems with oil getting on MAF due to VW's faulty PCV system design. VW issued a tech bulletin on how to clean MAF: "Use nonresidue electronic cleaner (tricholorthane, you can either buy ElectraCleen or the cholorinated version of BrakeCleen from CRC chemicals, same stuff). Spray MAF on both sides holding spray can away from MAF to prevent hard spray impact. Do NOT touch MAF film sensor element with anything. DO NOT dry with compressed air, let air dry." MAF is a thin film sensor and is damaged by harsh solvents any physical contact and by continuous immersion in oil. You were wise to instal something to keep oil off it. I installed the VW retrofit breather kit for OBDII cars and my MAF has been dry ever since. (For $185 it better be!)

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thanks spitpilot, I'm going to clean that MAF sensor as descrided. How do you get a VW tech bulletin?
Looked at my Bentley manual and found the IAC I take it I just disconnect the IAC and spray out the IAC using TB cleaner.
Volkrite
(Had to go in under Volkrite couldn't log-in under Volkright)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: newbie question (volkrite)

is it just me, or are you trying to say that you tried logging in as "volkright" cause your first post was under "volkwrite" and now you're under "volkrite" we're talking three diff. names here....not to be off topic

·
Registered
23 Posts

98vwgit wrote: Is it just me, or are you trying to say that you tried logging in as "volkright" cause your first post was
under "volkwrite" and now you're under "volkrite" we're talking three diff. names here....not to be off
topic
To be honest I'm just confused because in my head it gets crowded in there with me, myself and I.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts