VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying new car soon and having just test driven the A4 I am quite impressed. I drove both the 1.8T and the 3.0. The 1.8T seemed like quite a pig and thought the 3.0 was much better. After reading quite a few posts here trying to do some research I see that the majority have the 1.8T.... what am I missing? Is the 1.8 easier to mod and how does that affect the warranty? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I liked the quattro but living in Houston (snow every 10 years and really not even snow) I'm not sure about the need. Any other benefits?
Why is 6 speed only available in quattro? Is CVT able to handle slight mods without exploding? Is it really that great of transmission as sales would lead to believe?
Thanks for any and all input. Hope to see you on the road soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Newbie ?'s - Test drive impressions & why is 1.8T so popular? (kvernon)

The 1.8t is a lot easier to mod. There's a lot of stuff you can do to it. I don't know whether or not it voids the warranty tho since mine expired, but you can always take off any aftermarket parts when you take it in for maintenance.
We don't get snow here in Montgomery, AL either, but we do get a lot of rain, and Quattro is very nice for that. Even in the worst rain, my tires just don't spin. It's great for racing too. AWD launches are amazing once you get it down.
I don't know about the CVT or the 6 speed since mine's a 5 speed, so I'm no help there.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts

Most people get the 1.8T because it is like $7,000 cheaper then the 3.0.
I don't know much about the cvt. If you are going to buy a Audi. Get the quattro too. They go together.
Anything that you do to the car can void the warrenty. The 1.8T is mod friendly compared to the 3.0
You can buy chips,exhaust, diverter valves, bigger turbos and the list goes on.
I know you get alot of rain down in Houston, so the quattro would come in handy.

[Modified by finklejag, 7:16 AM 3-17-2003]

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts

About the two engines...
The 1.8t is inherently much easier to mod than the 3.0 because it is a Turbocharged engine. Any forced induction engine is going to get you more bang for the buck tuning wise than an NA engine.
Stock, the 1.8t is a bit of a pig. However, if you spend $500, you get a chip which will give you 200HP / 245lb/ft on a totally stock engine. And, you still have a smaller, lighter engine which means better balance and handling. If you want to spend about $1500, you get a K04 turbo upgrade, which means about 230HP and more torque. For about $4000, you get about 300Hp and even more torque than that!
And yes, most dealers out there will void your warranty for modding. They're not supposed to, unless they can prove that the modding caused whatever problems that you're having, but the fact is that most dealers, IF they figure out that you've got a chip or whatever, will void your warranty.
-Tim

·
Registered
373 Posts

Ditto on everything listed above except for the warranty thing. Maybe the majority of dealers will void your warranty, but there are alot of dealers who won't. I have talked to several that almost encourage you to mod your Audi. They will not void your warranty but if you blow up your tranny or your engine, they expect you to pay for it. But that would still leave your warranty for anything else that may go wrong. They can't exactly tell Audi of America that it was normal to have the motor spin to 12,000 rpm. Talk to the dealer about how they feel about mods up front. Then you will know whether or not you have to conceal them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts