VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone!
I currently drive a 2005 Acura RSX which I am going to get rid of very soon.
Insurance is just too expensive on this car even with my clean record, I've grown tired of the 2 door limitation and I want something with TORQUE!
I love the look of the new Jetta GLI and I am seriously considering getting it but I have a few question I hope you all can help me with.
How is it? How is the ride, any issues I should know about to have addressed, etc...
Is there tuning potential? I'd figure with the Turbo motor there should be?
DSG: I just can't stand manual, tried it and didn't appeal to me. So I would be opting for a DSG transmission. Any issues here?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: Newbie to VW need GLI advice, info please. (ORT84)

I think a test drive would make this an easy decision.
Made it real easy for me. I love my GLI.

·
Registered
842 Posts

I'm very happy with my GLI Package 2 w/XM. For a car that's been out for less than a year there sure is a lot of aftermarket parts already. I think some of the best mods are the OEM euro parts. Given the money to be made from us tuners, I'm sure there will be plents more parts comming.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

To answer some of your other questions:
There is a lot of tuning potential. The limiting factor here is the DSG. It is rated to only 250 ft.lbs of torque. Stock is 207 ft. lbs.
The ride is sporty (much firmer than older VWs), but comfortable. It will probably be a bit firmer than the RSX's ride, with similar handling.
Also see Edmunds' comparison between the TSX and the Pkg 2 GLI on their Inside Line web site.
Judging from the reactions here, most of us who bought GLIs enjoy them very much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Newbie to VW need GLI advice, info please. (akuska)

Thanks very much!
And thank you all for your time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quick question, does anyone know if the torque limit on the DSG is because it simply can't handle a lot of torque or they just put a limit to make it harder on us tuners?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ORT84 »
Thanks very much!
And thank you all for your time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quick question, does anyone know if the torque limit on the DSG is because it simply can't handle a lot of torque or they just put a limit to make it harder on us tuners?

There was a thread about this and from what I remember (correct my if I am wrong guys / gals) it was the parts that were only rated for a certain ammount of torque. Now in that same thread they posted a site with DSG upgrade parts, no $ ammount was duscussed, but there are parts out there to upgrade the DSG to handle more power.
That being said there are a few DSG chipped people around here that have yet to have problems, as its too soon to tell. I dont think that regular driving with some hard pulls now and then and a track day here and there will really blow the DSG, just shorten its life a little more. Hard driving day in day out with a chip might do some damage to the DSG but we really dont know that much yet as its too new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts