VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've noticed you people talk about this Vag-Com thing. I understand that it's some type of computer software, but I'm not entirely sure.
OK, so I own a VW Golf MK5 GTI. Now I need to know...
1) Is Vag-Com diagnostic software for vehicles?
2) Does Vag-Com allow me to modify the settings of my car?
3) Which is the official Vag-Com website?
4) If I use Vag-Com on my car, does it void any motorplan warranties?
5) I'm aware that there are different package versions of Vag-Com, which is best suited for my car?
6) Do I need to purchase any 3rd-party equipment, like cables or wires - or does Vag-Com come with everything I need?
7) For those of you that have Vag-Com, has it disturbed the behaviour of your cars in any way?
8) For those of you that have Vag-Com, is it worth it?
Thanks for your time, fellas!!
Chris - South Africa.

Modified by Inflicted at 11:23 AM 1-8-2006

Modified by Inflicted at 11:25 AM 1-8-2006

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Re: Newbie Vag-Com Questions... (Inflicted)

1) Is Vag-Com diagnostic software for vehicles?
VAG VOM is diagnosic software for Audi and VW (Skoda and Seat also).
2) Does Vag-Com allow me to modify the settings of my car?
Yes.

3) Which is the official Vag-Com website?
Ross Tech's Website.
4) If I use Vag-Com on my car, does it void any motorplan warranties?
VAG COM is not a chip; it doesn't "stay" in your car. It is simply an interface system to access, diagnose and customize settings on your car, among other things. There is no way to void the warranty per se, but you could potentially do some damage to your car if you don't know what you're doing.
5) I'm aware that there are different package versions of Vag-Com, which is best suited for my car?
MkV cars need either HEX-USB+CAN or HEX-COM+CAN cable depending on the type of computer you have (serial or USB ports).
6) Do I need to purchase any 3rd-party equipment, like cables or wires - or does Vag-Com come with everything I need?
You need to purchase the cable/interface from Ross Tech to unlock the software which is downloaded from their website at no charge.
7) For those of you that have Vag-Com, has it disturbed the behaviour of your cars in any way?
Every change made through VAG COM should be carefully planned and executed. There are no "hidden" effects to making changes or diagnosing your car through VAG COM unless you somehow make a mistake that cannot be corrected. Every change should be carefuly made, planned and recorded so you can reverse it if you make a mistake.
8) For those of you that have Vag-Com, is it worth it?
Totally. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Also, I realize that it sounds easier to post your questions for someone to answer but all of them could have been answered by searching the forum.
Please also read Ross Tech's FAQ if you're considering the investment: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-com-faq.html
Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by svander at 2:18 AM 1-8-2006

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (Inflicted)

well worth it!
Well thought out post svander http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Newbie Vag-Com Questions... (Inflicted)

VAG-COM should be the first upgrade to any MKV purchase.
(even before Wheels and Tint)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Re: (revtune)

Quote, originally posted by revtune »
Yes, you have helped more than one person with this post. I learned an incredible amount. Thanks!

x2

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Re: Newbie Vag-Com Questions... (Tim Birney)

Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »
VAG-COM should be the first upgrade to any MKV purchase.
(even before Wheels and Tint)

even a drop?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Newbie Vag-Com Questions... (Tim Birney)

thanks for the help svander
just understanding: vagcom accesses fuel maps/timing/air fuel ratios/ignition/fuel pressure etc.
so it is basically an access point to your ecu??
dont flame me, only 16 and only our messenger.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: Newbie Vag-Com Questions... (UTRIED)

Quote, originally posted by UTRIED »
just understanding: vagcom accesses fuel maps/timing/air fuel ratios/ignition/fuel pressure etc.

VagCom does not acces the ECU. The ECU parameters are burned into a chip, and cannot be modified using VagCom.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Newbie Vag-Com Questions... (UTRIED)

Quote, originally posted by UTRIED »

VAG-COM allows you to scan the entire vehicle for faults, and gives you easy to understand definitions of the faults.
It allows you to modify different things on your car.
It allows you to graph particular functions of your car, as it is operating.

Visit:
http://www.ross-tech.com
and browse around.

·
Registered
203 Posts
a friend of mine has the vag com for his mkiv. will his cable totally not work at all for anything on the mkv? i just need to re-code the turn signal deal when i put the euro bulb holders in.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: (GearSlammer)

Quote, originally posted by GearSlammer »
a friend of mine has the vag com for his mkiv. will his cable totally not work at all for anything on the mkv? i just need to re-code the turn signal deal when i put the euro bulb holders in.

The VAG-COM Cable for the MKV is the HEX+CAN cable. The MKIV cable is most likely just the HEX, so it will not operate on your Can-Bus equipped MKV.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Re: (D.Passat00)

can the vagcom change a setting so that when i put my car in reverse the side mirrors angle down?
i also need to use vagcom so the windows can get put down with the remote, right?
any other really cool stuff any of you guys have done?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.