VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off I am still a newbie to the Dub world. My question to you guys is this. I want to start restoring my 92 Jetta GL. I am a college student with no income (I attend a military school). The car needs some minor repairs but once this is done the car will be in 100% working order. The repairs will be done when I recieve my Income Tax returns ( this week or next). The body is in good shape. There are the minor pings and pongs for a 14 yrs old car. The interior on the other hand needs alot of help. This is where my question comes to play. I want to replace the fatory seats, carpet and fix the heater box (foam is flying every where). Then I also have water problems, I get a puddle on the floor in the back seat area, so I want to replace all the weather stripping for the doors and trunk. Where can I find these parts? I want to keep the factory look and feel with minumal changes to the car. I was wondering what web sites or stores may carry some of the replacement parts for a cheap or fairly reasonable price? Im one to get all new parts because then I know they are new and wont have problems down the line, but I want to do this as cheap as I can due to the no income sitution.
Ryan

Ps. if any one in the PA, NJ, NY area has any parts they are not using or dont need that are close to mint im me maybe we can work out a deal.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Newbies question to the pros (playeboi)

Carpet can be bought brand new (aftermarket) for about 100 bucks. Seats and stuff are pretty common in junkyards, and I'd imagine, with a little hunting, you could find some decent GTI seats without dropping too much cash.
As for your water leaking problem... I'm not sure about that. Do you have a sunroof?

·
Registered
171 Posts

Carpet and seats are really pretty easy finds. You can do carpet yourself after buying a molded kit for around $135. I agree with looking for GTI or Scirocco seats (I'm doing the same). Even beat up seats can be recovered.
Water leaks are difficult fixes. If you have a sunroof that is a main suspect. The rear windows, especially back windscreen will leack around worn out gaskets and seals. A good auto glass shop can replace those gaskets for less than $100 plus parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes I have a sunroof. I looked around the sun roof while it was raing really hard and didnt see any signs of water coming from the area. I am gonna try and look around in the yards around my area for the seats. The seats could be reupolstered but I dont know of any place in my area. I am looking for Raddo leather seats or something in leather. I like the feel of leather better then fabric.
Ryan

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Re: Newbies question to the pros (vwgrlVA)

Quote, originally posted by vwgrlVA »
Don't forget to check out the A2 classifieds forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=46
There's always good stuff there at a good price.

yep he is right! just look once a day at them and you will find great deals. i just found some stuff for my car w/o paying an arm and a leg.
also you might want to check for new oem stuff:
http://www.1stvwparts.com/
the cheapest prices for oem new stuff after the vortex.
good luck

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

yep SHE is right

where is birdsboro ? near lancaster ?
I have to sets of stock GL grey seats that I will let you have real cheap... LMK
As for the water leaks - read the FAQ stuck to the top of this page - talks about replacing the water seals behind the door cards. Oh and if ya haven't yet - invest in a Bentley manual - you will be happy you did at some point.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Re: Newbies question to the pros (mayfly)

Depending on how long that leak into the back has been there, I'd worry more about rusty floorpans than anything else, cause if you have this problem, it's pretty much a killer for the car. I mean, you can weld in new pans, but it's a HUGE hassle.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Re: Newbies question to the pros (rat_bike_madness)

yup.

notice the rust holes on the bottom of the seat mount This one will be fun.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Newbies question to the pros (Gridlocked)

i thought you said you have no money? restoring a car is not for someboy with no money.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Re: Newbies question to the pros (The_Hamster)

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »
i thought you said you have no money? restoring a car is not for someboy with no money.

A man with the right idea... VERY TRUE!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Newbies question to the pros (rat_bike_madness)

first off Im a guy....... long story behind the name. second I have some cash but it has to last till the summer and I turn 21 3/23. so I need to keep as much money as I can for both fun things in my life. Birdsboro is right Between Reading and Pottstown.
Ryan

·
Registered
81 Posts

the "SHE is right" was for me...he called me a guy earlier in the thread
good luck with the car and happy dubbin!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts