VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PowerGasket for my car arrived in the mail today. I didn't want to wait for the weekend to install it and all the write-ups I saw said the install only takes about an hour.
For those of you that have no idea what a PowerGasket is for, click here.
I decided to get one for the insulation properties of the gasket, rather than any quoted performance gains. I've been logging a bit of data with VAG-COM (surprise, surprise) and it always worries me how high the inlet manifold temps get. Even when I drive the car sedately (ie: no WOT and shifting by 4000rpm), I regularly see the temps over 50 deg C (and even over 60 deg C) in summer. The deciding factor for me was how I can barely touch the inlet manifold after the car has been left sitting for about 30mins.
The tools used were a 5mm and 6mm allen head, 10mm socket, 10mm spanner, flat blad screwdriver, phillips head screw driver, rachet drive and varous extensions. Some carb cleaner is useful for cleaning off the old gasket from the head and inlet manifold.
The install was interesting as I had to remove the fuel injector rail. This worried me at first but it turned out to be really easy. I'm not going to do a complete step by step write-up as it would be different if your car didn't have an AEB motor (Kos is the only other Passat like mine and he's already got one on his car).
For those of you that are interested, here are some good write-ups that other people have written:
VW Passat
Audi TT

· Registered
5,273 Posts
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (TUR-80)

cool...
I've been thinking of that mod too...
Its funny that... while the cat is out the mice will play
Your Mrs back yet Anthony?

Let us know the results! be interesting read.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (jtsetsos)

I dont' know, I get a Neuspeed rear bar, so you have to get one. I get a PowerGasket, now you have to get one...

Actually, my wife got back from Melbourne on Sunday. She was the one that signed for the package when the guy from Australia Post turned up.

· Registered
5,273 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TUR-80 »
I dont' know, I get a Neuspeed rear bar, so you have to get one. I get a PowerGasket, now you have to get one...

Yeah funny that!
You forget to mention the Selenoid!
Whats go'in on?
See who gets their exhaust in first then ey!

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (Man&Golf)

If you saw what the original gasket is made out of, it makes perfect sense. I took my car for a drive to the airport this morning and when I got there, I stopped the car and popped the bonnet. I could place a flat hand on the inlet manifold without burning myself. As far as I'm concerened, the gasket performs exactly as promised. Like I said before, I'm not interested in the power gains, its the drop in inlet manifold temps that I was interested in.

· Registered
5,273 Posts
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (Lams)

GB sounds fine to me!
Quote, originally posted by Lams »
hehe you guys
anyway anthony has convinced me to get one of these things... maybe a GB if enough interested???

· Registered
5,273 Posts
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (Lams)

Quote, originally posted by Lams »
hehe you guys
anyway anthony has convinced me to get one of these things... maybe a GB if enough interested???

Not so sure aout that!
Check this out
uch:
http://www.izvw.com/powergasket.html

· Registered
1,907 Posts

whats the story there? First he shows his disaster with the gaskets then he goes throught the installation process and states at the end "quality part"

· Registered
5,273 Posts
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (Wal)

Quote, originally posted by Wal »
whats the story there? First he shows his disaster with the gaskets then he goes throught the installation process and states at the end "quality part"

I think he's initial impression was this was a good mod to begin with, (I myself was considering this for my own) but he later found the part had failed! I guess he still has this page up there to simply document he's own initial thoughts and mostly the installation procedure (and much of the work involved for this mod). He although does later clearly state the following, (this warning was not there some several weeks ago):
Quote »

WARNING: THIS PART MELTED CAUSING A BLOCKAGE IN MY FIRST CYLINDERS INTAKE PORT. I CAN NO LONGER RECOMMEND THIS PART!

And does go on to say:
Quote »

Although I don't recomend using this part this howto will be left up for those of you who are going to install it anyway.

I some how suspect the gasket may have been faulty or may have been damaged in the process of installing it... So is there a moral to this story ::shrug:: I dunno

Modified by jtsetsos at 10:07 PM 3-17-2004

· Premium Member
858 Posts

In the past 15 months that we have been selling PowerGaskets, we know of 2 that have failed. One failed because of improper installation - the bolts were not torqued properly.
The one you are referring to - we asked that it be returned to us for inspection. In addition, we discussed this with one of our dealers who saw the gasket and it was their opinion that the failure was due to improper installation. However, we haven't received the gasket so we can't make a final evaluation.
Our prototype gasket, which was made from the same material, but with a lower melting temperature, has been running flawlessly in a modified 1.8T GTI that is driven daily and is used in autocross.

· Registered
31,040 Posts
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (SteveC)

Quote, originally posted by SteveC »
In the past 15 months that we have been selling PowerGaskets, we know of 2 that have failed. One failed because of improper installation - the bolts were not torqued properly.
The one you are referring to - we asked that it be returned to us for inspection. In addition, we discussed this with one of our dealers who saw the gasket and it was their opinion that the failure was due to improper installation. However, we haven't received the gasket so we can't make a final evaluation.
Our prototype gasket, which was made from the same material, but with a lower melting temperature, has been running flawlessly in a modified 1.8T GTI that is driven daily and is used in autocross.

Have you read this guy's installation instructions ... and if so, are you happy with his "how to"? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: NewSouth Performance PowerGasket Installed (act:GTI)

When I installed my PowerGasket, I didn't use any type of sealant. Everyone else on Club B5 that fitted one didn't use any either. There wasn't any sealant on the gasket I pulled out, so I saw no need to go and put some on the new one. Kos is the only other Aussie Vortexer I know how has one on his car, I wonder if he'll make a comment.
Maybe I'm just lucky 'cause I'm one of those people that has never had a Forge valve fail on me either...

· Registered
867 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TUR-80 »
When I installed my PowerGasket, I didn't use any type of sealant. Everyone else on Club B5 that fitted one didn't use any either. There wasn't any sealant on the gasket I pulled out, so I saw no need to go and put some on the new one. Kos is the only other Aussie Vortexer I know how has one on his car, I wonder if he'll make a comment.

I got mine as part of the ClubB5 PowerGasket GB in April 03 with the spacers and long bolt kit and had EuroClass install it in Aug 03 without any issues.
From the GB postings...
Quote, originally posted by Pure MotorSports »
Install tips:
- The package also includes 10 bolt spacers, but you can only use them on two end bolts to the stud. Other 8 bolts won't fit with the spacer unless you replace the stock bolts with longer ones available as optional purchase.
- The torque setting for the manifold bolt is 7 lbs/ft from bently, but someone over vortex claims that even 6 lbs might be too much with a insulating bolt washers. He recomments 5 or 5.5 lbs. Do it with caution!
- Michael recommends "Permetex" (not sure about spelling) gasket sealant for installation. One that Michael noted was a blue in color. Make sure to get non-hardening one and should be available at Pepboys or Autozone.

As it turned out SuperCheap Auto had the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #3 Sealent liquid (item #80018) and I supplied this to EuroClass who installed it.
Not sure how critical this is - I remember Louie saying it shouldnt really need it but it wont hurt. As Anthony said the original didnt have any sealant.
My Butt-Dyno didnt notice any significant changes when I had it installed and I havent had any issues since.
Two things I noted on the persons web site was that the sealant seemed to be hardened and that he had problems "squeazing it in" so they may have been issues - hard to tell, but certainly this is the first I'm hearing of this.

Modified by KosB5 at 9:36 PM 3-18-2004

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.