Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Cliffs:
-Ford has no plans to ever electrify the Super Duty truck lineup.
-Currently working on hydrogen for the next gen trucks.
-It's not clear if this means HFC or Hydrogen burned in traditional ICE engines, although Ford's CEO has used the term fuel cell.

“If you’re pulling 10,000 pounds, an electric truck is not the right solution,” Farley said while speaking with the media at the 2023 Super Duty unveiling in Kentucky. “And 95 percent of our customers tow more than 10,000 pounds. This is a really important segment for our country and it will probably go hydrogen fuel cell"

With the probability that light duty trucks like my Ranger will mostly end up EV, I can see a hydrogen Super Duty in my future. Also the latest gen looks great imo.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
9,898 Posts
I really love my Cayenne and take it up to it's limits, but EV just won't work for the long haul stuff I do. I don't need 10,000+ lbs either, but I'm probably in for one of these as well.

Of course, if I had 10k lbs, I'd probably use it. A 30' could fit two race cars I think? :devilish:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speaking of the new release (since I didn't see anything about here). I thought it was notable they dropped the 6.2 and went all in on OHV with the new 6.8.
I'm curious about this new engine. It appears to make a lot of torque. It could be a real winner. I've typically not been satisfied with the larger gas engines (The Triton V10 in my Econoline has been a real disappointment).

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truck stops. When you've got a bigass trailer it's a PITA and/or impossible to get into most regular gas stations anyway.
Yes, truck stops are where I would expect to see that infrastructure go in first. Get Flying J and Loves onboard in partnership with a green H network like Plug Power and boom, you've basically covered the US.
This will have to happen to supply the hydrogen semi trucks anyways, so it seems reasonable that the smaller trucks will use it as well.

Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,592 Posts
95% tow over 10,000 lbs.!?!? Not from my world view. Just a bunch guys and gals with inferiority complexes rolling into Starbucks in something they have no business driving.

·
Registered
38,896 Posts
Truck stops. When you've got a bigass trailer it's a PITA and/or impossible to get into most regular gas stations anyway.
These aren't class 4 and up vehicles for commercial users though. Class 2b/3 are for regular people who like the security of a higher tow rating whenever they are taking their boat to the lake or their camper out to the woods. If the hydrogen is only at truck stops, it means that every week or two people are going to have to drive out of town to a truck stop to fuel up, then drive back home. That doesn't make sense.

Though I suppose if every truck above 2a (F-150 / Silverado/Ram 1500) is hydrogen only and they only sell hydrogen at truck stops, that would mean a lot fewer brodozers in suburbia. Perhaps this really is something I can get behind after all.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
95% tow over 10,000 lbs.!?!? Not from my world view. Just a bunch guys and gals with inferiority complexes rolling into Starbucks in something they have no business driving.
Although those people exist, the majority of the Super Duty trucks I see are contractor rigs or hot shot operations. But what you see day to day probably depends a lot on where you live.
I believe the quoted 95% figure.

·
Registered
14,101 Posts
Stellantis is going to offer a hydrogen RAM HD in the future as well. They announced that a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.