VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
20,597 Posts
Would using the TNGA platform give it the extra room for the bigger motor?
It astonishes me this could keep coming up on a car forum, but more displacement does not mean a "bigger motor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_FA_engine#FA24

The FA24 is the same size block as an FA20, just bored out from a square 86mm to 94mm. What takes up additional space would be the turbocharger, intercooler, and any additional fluid capacity needed.

My understanding of the FA24 was that it was designed for a flat torque curve and regular fuel though, so I imagine they'd want to tune it a bit differently for the 86. That's if it's an FA24 at all and not a turbocharged FA20, given how many markets penalize that extra 400cc of displacement...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The TNGA platform is shared with Prius. Does this now mean the new 86 will handle as well as new Prius? Will there now be an 86 prime?

I have a feeling it won't be the basic sports car of this generation, but how important is that? Doesn't a Camry SE, also on TNGA, handle pretty well?

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,624 Posts
Wait, didnt everyone use to complain that that 86/BRZ needed a turbo, but now everyone is just saying it needs larger displacement ?
Some don't necessarily want either and are fine with the engine current car.

<-----

As long as it has enough torque to return good highway fuel economy, I don't care. I love wringing out that car. I am also biased having grown up with an N/A RX-7, so. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
The TNGA platform is shared with Prius. Does this now mean the new 86 will handle as well as new Prius? Will there now be an 86 prime?

I have a feeling it won't be the basic sports car of this generation, but how important is that? Doesn't a Camry SE, also on TNGA, handle pretty well?
Platforms have become so customizable that you can build cars on the same platform that really don't have much in common. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on the use of TNGA. The platform hosts everything from the Lexus LC 500 to the Toyota Highlander to the Yaris and accommodates FR, FF, and AWD configurations as well as both transverse and longitudinal engine mounting.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I also don't understand how they can go from a 2.0L N/A engine to a 2.4L turbo engine with what little space there is in that engine bay already.
Right. Because, as we all know, there is no room in that engine bay for a bigger engine.

·
Registered
39,635 Posts
Few people are going to want to hear this, but I think turbo power is going to be necessary because they're probably going to have to push the price point up on the next-gen cars to justify keeping them on the market, and to support that, they're going to need more performance.

And more weight, which means more brake, which means bigger wheels...

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
no turbo

more displacment :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
Few people are going to want to hear this, but I think turbo power is going to be necessary because they're probably going to have to push the price point up on the next-gen cars to justify keeping them on the market, and to support that, they're going to need more performance.

I think price will go up a bit, but there's a ceiling as I doubt Toyota wants to bump up against the Supra pricing-wise. I'd be surprised if it starts above mid 30s.

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
I wouldn't expect much from the twins with the Supra on the scene now. Weren't there talks of offering a lesser supra as well?

I can see them placing the new 2.4 in there, but again without a turbo, and whatever marginal power bump that comes with it, maybe 215hp 200tq. That way there's room for a baby supra in the 275 range.

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
Wait, didnt everyone use to complain that that 86/BRZ needed a turbo, but now everyone is just saying it needs larger displacement ?
Needs partnership with Honda to add an Atkins cycle 2.7L flat six with 11,800 RPM redline. TCL is waiting cash in hand. If this exact engine fails to appear then TCL will buy a GTI instead. Subaru/Totoya, you've been put on notice.

601 Posts
People asking for more displacement are delusional. This isnt the 90s anymore, we are past the point of 'no replacement for displacement' and youre talking about a 4 banger not a v8. It needs a turbo and im sure it will get one. If you think theyre gonna redesign everything just to shove a larger motor in youre gonna be sadly let down

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In an ideal world, Toyota and Subaru would work to differentiate the product more this time around. I know sales numbers don't justify it, but it would be grand to see a 2.4T in the subaru application, and a NA tuned 2.4 in the Toyota variant. Surely Yamaha/Porsche or others (not to mention in-house teams) could massage the 2.4 to make it more sporting. So then buyers could have their choice of FI or NA. That, or allow a base model NA with STI/GT-S trim being turbo'd.

I am looking forward to this if it is getting on the TNGA and getting the 2.4.

·
Registered
29,382 Posts
Just take the drivetrain from the S2000. A Toyota/Subaru/Honda synergy would work.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It would be very disappointing if they went turbo-only on this. I also don't understand how they can go from a 2.0L N/A engine to a 2.4L turbo engine with what little space there is in that engine bay already.

If they fix the NVH and keep an N/A engine, they can shut up and take my money.

Like those renders too.
Couldn’t agree more with your take. Great and fun cars but I couldn’t live with the NVH in a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

I hope that happens, then my car will hold its value better. "Last NA version!"

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How about that 268hp/273 lb-ft 3 cylinder Turbo from the GR Yaris? :laugh:

It astonishes me this could keep coming up on a car forum, but more displacement does not mean a "bigger motor."
I was responding to the person above me who said the Accent engine (as noted in the article) wouldn't fit. I merely noted that the new platform probably fixes that issue if there is one.

But I'm glad we can still astonish you. What a blessing to still be surprised in life. :laugh:

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,480 Posts
Some don't necessarily want either and are fine with the engine current car.

<-----

As long as it has enough torque to return good highway fuel economy, I don't care. I love wringing out that car. I am also biased having grown up with an N/A RX-7, so. :laugh:
The 1G Twins don't have the top end of your RX7 (I'd know, I had an FC) or an S2000, and also had a dip in the 5K RPM range that you had to get a tune to fix. The powertrain gripes were justified, and Subaru already produces the 2.4T in mass volume, so it's an ideal choice.

So, the Subaru platform isn't suited to RWD so they're using the...... Camry/Prius platform? Wut :confused:

·
Registered
22,252 Posts
So, the Subaru platform isn't suited to RWD so they're using the...... Camry/Prius platform? Wut :confused:
TNGA is vers.

The Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) are modular unibody automobile platforms that underpin various Toyota and Lexus models starting with the fourth generation Prius in late 2015. TNGA platforms accommodate different vehicle sizes and also front-, rear- and all-wheel drive configurations.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,763 Posts
Why jump to the 2.4? Why not bump the hp numbers a few for the NA 2.0 and then add the 2.0 turbo as an option?

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Right. Because, as we all know, there is no room in that engine bay for a bigger engine.

Not if they want to pass crash/pedestrian regulations.

No need for an LS or even a turbo anyway. An NA FA24 with 10% more peak power, 20% more torque (with no dip) and the same revs is all the BRZ ever needed.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts