VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,481 Posts
This is great news if it comes true. Like everything though, the devil will be in the details. Presumably I would take a ~260hp 86 all day over a Supra.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42,015 Posts
They need to turbo it. Many more people will buy the car if they can keep it affordable. The non tuners will appreciate the extra power and the tuners will be able to make these much more fun. It's a win win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
agreed

wasnt a lot of the gripe about the first one that the engine wasnt super tuneable and there wasnt a hot turbo/sti option?
this seems like a no brainer

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is great news if it comes true. Like everything though, the devil will be in the details. Presumably I would take a ~260hp 86 all day over a Supra.
Same, all day. I have a used 2017 BRZ w/ PP and would upgrade in a second if it comes with the FA24DIT still under an MSRP of say ~32K.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I would gladly take 220 HP/180 TQ and a redline at 7500 (minus the torque dip) over anything turbocharged. The BRZ/86 is perfect as an NA sports car.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Turbo all the things!!!
Most people buying sports cars look at hp/tq numbers and 0-60 times... I think turboing is the correct choice if they want to sell more. NA might be more fun to some people but they want to sell cars

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Turbo all the things!!!
Most people buying sports cars look at hp/tq numbers and 0-60 times... I think turboing is the correct choice if they want to sell more. NA might be more fun to some people but they want to sell cars
If they really want to sell it then they should lift it 6" and add a hatch and gray plastic cladding, plus AWD and remove the manual transmission.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,754 Posts
Because then people will complain if it has only 10 more hp than the old one. And 2 different engine options is tons of extra cost/complexity on the manufacturing end.
If they really want to sell it then they should lift it 6" and add a hatch and gray plastic cladding, plus AWD and remove the manual transmission.
:laugh:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Header+tune with a light battery and some AP Racing front brakes are what I want to do on mine. Drop ~50 lbs off the front axle and gain some power and revs (and noise, EL headers for me). Add some super light summer wheels and I'm good to go, my SSR's weigh 13 lbs each.

No need for a turbo, just add lightness.
Don't the FA motors already have EL headers? They don't sound like the typical Subaru lub-lub-lub to me.

·
Registered
39,635 Posts
I'm skeptical that scaling this car up will really attract more buyers. I think it will make it more profitable on a per-unit basis, but if people just wanted a heavier coupe with more power, there are plenty out there to choose from.

And frankly, anybody beating the higher-output NA drum better have a 370Z in the driveway, because Nissan's been building your car for ten years.

·
Registered
39,635 Posts
because its not a good car.

its 700 pounds heavier than a twin. its a bad c5 corvette.
Are those Japanese pounds? Because the difference is about 450-500 American pounds depending on trim.

The next-gen twins will either gain effectively no power and like 100-150 pounds in curb weight, or they'll gain a good chunk of both. And probably cost, too.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Turbo all the things!!!
profit is what their other cars are for. no one who buys these things cares about 0-60 times.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
And frankly, anybody beating the higher-output NA drum better have a 370Z in the driveway, because Nissan's been building your car for ten years.
You might think this is the case, but sadly, it is not.

Interestingly, the 370Z and 86 are the exact same length: 4240mm. Yet, the 370Z weighs 600 pounds more! (~2800 vs ~3400).

370Z has terrible brakes, terrible steering, and a terrible interior. They are fat pigs that aren't fun to drive, because they weren't designed to be driven hard: after only 5 minutes up my local testing road, I glanced at the oil temp and it was 290 :eek:

Sad to say, but I was thoroughly disappointed in that POS :( Shame, because they look good (on the outside) and on paper (350hp @ 7500 RPM for a Nismo). I wanted to love it, but ended up hating it.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
The suspension can be fixed and the interior is better than the BRZ. 370Z is just TCL's favorite whipping boy

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,590 Posts
I'm skeptical that scaling this car up will really attract more buyers. I think it will make it more profitable on a per-unit basis, but if people just wanted a heavier coupe with more power, there are plenty out there to choose from.

Except the 370Z is 100 years old and pails in comparison to American competition in most performance aspects. Under-appreciated? Sure. No longer relevant? Yes, because it is old and the rest of the car industry has moved on many times over lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well then......

https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/202104/toyota-gt86-vs-mazda-mx-5-vs-abarth-124-spider-lightweight-sports-car-shootout

Either way, the GT86 remains the car of choice in this class, and by quite some margin overall. Its chassis is still in a league of one when it comes to allowing you to indulge yourself on the public road. It’s sharp but forgiving, clean in its responses but also infinitely adjustable. The Toyota’s steering is also much sweeter and delivers a lot more feel through the rim than the others, and its gearbox is a thing of wonder. You need to use it a lot more often than you do in the Abarth, yes, but that’s all part of the game in the GT86, and it’s a game that takes you to another level on roads like this. Plus it has rear seats and a much bigger boot than the others into the bargain.

In the end the Toyota wins, and wins easily, as long as you don’t want top-down motoring, while the MX-5 remains as good as it ever was and the Abarth is maybe just a touch disappointing. Others may not agree, but some car is the GT86, always was, always will be.
With a 4cyl Supra available in some markets, perhaps the 86 really doesn't need much more than a slight power bump (and smoothened out torque dip) :popcorn:

Different horses for different courses.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,590 Posts
Well then......

https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/202104/toyota-gt86-vs-mazda-mx-5-vs-abarth-124-spider-lightweight-sports-car-shootout

With a 4cyl Supra available in some markets, perhaps the 86 really doesn't need much more than a slight power bump (and smoothened out torque dip) :popcorn:

Different horses for different courses.
A slightly more sound-insulated interior and a bit more torque is all the car needs to make it the best all-round sports car on the market, bargain or no bargain. Full stop.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts