VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
27,774 Posts
The SR V6 (I think, maybe SR5 V6) and up now have a height adjustable driver's seat - but my strippo one doesn't so I bought these for it and it made a HUGE difference.

I am 5' 10" / 150 lbs with a 30" inseam and now it feels normal with thigh support that is an order of magnitude better.

Kind of dumb to have to buy this but the Tacoma was cheaper than the alternative and I'll trade having a lot of ground clearance by default over having a lower floor.

·
Registered
2013 Taco / 2006 R53
2,190 Posts
Reactions: adrew

·
Registered
2013 Taco / 2006 R53
2,190 Posts
Also, a set of seat jackers completely fixes the thigh support issue for long-legged drivers. I ignored the Tacoma for years until I discovered the seat jackers existed.

·
Registered
27,774 Posts
Also, a set of seat jackers completely fixes the thigh support issue for long-legged drivers. I ignored the Tacoma for years until I discovered the seat jackers existed.
Yeah, I was expecting better seats than my Yaris - but they feel about the same, like they're sized for someone about 5' 5".

I end up sitting with my legs splayed out and unsupported which made my knees hurt after a couple of hours. At least the truck has more room to stretch your legs out past the pedals but the Seat Jackers made it feel like a normal car where I usually lower the back of the bottom seat cushion all the way down and raise up the front for thigh support.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Hood

Looks similar to this treatment.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread, and in the TacomaWorld thread about this... People are getting way too excited about a bunch of design bucks and renders. This is Toyota floating ideas and aspirations for the eventual EV future. I wouldn't get either too invested in the possibility of ANYTHING there just yet. Half of these look like they are built with legos.
Working in this industry, it doesn't make sense to be exposing your future product line this early, as that's atypical of this company.

However, having known that at CALTY 1 year ago, they were already wrapping up styling on this program, they are definitely not throwing around anything for the 920B Program anymore at this point.

No later than May 2021, they had a design freeze already completed and were developing testers off of those newly set design dimensions and hard points. Usually mechanical mules aren't ready to go, until designers have completed the final design and have handed it over to engineering to build off of.

To show this vehicle so early, it is at worst a rejected alternate proposal (ie Proposal A vs Proposal B) or a deliberate decision to reveal it, out of some confident feeling there's no risk, some 2 years out.

More than likely, it is 95% representative of the 920B Program vehicle design, the 2024 Tacoma. Only differing from ICE versions moderately. Some of those other vehicles may or may not be final, but this one matches the little I have heard.

They are clay and some fiberglass models, which is standard fare early on. Most production programs are definitely defined some 2-3 years out, with things conceptual being some 4-5 years out.

Sure, you could say that for MOST of those designs. But I'll be damned if this doesn't look production-ready. I mean, it has production-grade mirrors, door handles, wheels, lighting, everything. And it looks like a baby Tundra.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Automotive side-view mirror
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood

This was shown in June 2019, as the first teaser at what was being developed. I found it very weird, seeing it as likely ideation designs and not anything final. But looking at the new BZ4x, you can see one of them matches it in profile. Just not as finished, which likely happened a few months later at final approval. That was due in late 2021 originally, so locking it in during 2019 makes sense to me.

This is it, but my question is why is this being shown so early?

Every single source I can reference reliably, show midway through 2024MY. This isn't a 2023 model, so showing this now exposes the risk that sales will slow.

All I know is that next October, is 2023 MY arrival in dealers and redesign enters production in December 2023.

Easily in dealers during January 2024, which is 2 years away, so why now? Maybe since the

To be fair, and while we know a next-Tacoma is inevitable, they did tease us with the S-FR "concept" which seemed even more finished than this. Like, it has SRS logos on the steering wheel and door sill guards.

View attachment 140541

View attachment 140544
The RC Cabrio was ready to go as well, but it was canned immediately. Would've arrived in spring/summer 2016, but after it's fall 2014 concept debut, they instead went to work on the RX-L and then TX.

S-FR was cancelled as it didn't make sense between the Supra and 86. It had no immediate predecessor, so showcasing it was no real threat. This pickup showing is a bold, but measured move. They aren't gonna play all the cards at once I figure.

The differences between this and the S-FR is Toyota sells about 100k tacos a year and that there are camo test mules on the road.
I am wondering if those are rudimentary 920B Program midsize TNGA-F mules and not the frozen production design itself already testing in final sheetmetal?

I find it VERY puzzling that a vehicle scheduled for August 2023/December 2023 Job 1, BY TOYOTA would be out on public testing rounds so early. From the spy shots to this, seems VERY deliberate for Toyota.

Oddly enough, they are becoming mysteriously transparent regarding this vehicle. I heard via CALTY the new truck would be evolutionary back in 2020, as the upcoming Tundra already borrowed from current Tacoma styling and simply put a newer twist on it. There was no other way, except to evolve the next Tacoma in the same direction for uniformity.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Hood

This looks exactly like what I was told about 1 year ago, but I couldn't really know it, unless right in front of me. It's not a 2023 model, so why is Toyota showing this at all? Very puzzling, if that launch date is still accurate.

Oh yeah, just saying sometimes Toyota concepts seem more "done" than most concepts that have black glass and no interiors or suspension.
The same can apply to Toyota product, in terms of blacked out glass. The LF-Gh "concept" of 2011 with blacked out windows had the production GS interior, which got spotted by a few observant types to Toyota's chagrin before 2013 GS reveal.

I try not to call everything a concept, in knowing it can be applied too broadly. I call some of these production styling representations or production design concepts. Some of these are production program 1:1 design mockups, which in my opinion I find puzzling to be out there this early, if not due next year.

A few are easily not finalized, but the pickup is definitely final at the level of post design freeze, which means essentially showroom ready.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

This was shown in June 2019, at a time when the BZ4x was probably finishing up design process. One can see it advanced further and was finalized by early 2020 into production form (what we see now).

Low quality, but another rear/side.

There are some other angles too. Have no idea what Toyota is doing here, especially NOW in 2021 of all times? Everyone says it's MY 2024 and I've known this for some 2 years. (Not seeing 2023 on this, based on virtually everyone and anyone involved.)

This isn't entirely uncharacteristic of them though, I'll say to do a deliberate tease so early.

They teased the 2014 IS, in a 2011 video teaser presentation about 2 model years early, when debuting the LF-LC Concept and Spindle Grille signature. That segment was actually for journalists only and was embargoed. It got casually leaked on YouTube in Jan 2012, without anyone noticing the '14 IS within it.

This takes the cake though and goes beyond a brief clip. Seems like an excuse to let it all out, since every competing ICE midsize pickup has been spoken for.

The production taillights show reverse lights in the center position, unlike the bumper mounted Tundra units. Somewhat like the 2022 Frontier. This is totally it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I am wondering if those are rudimentary 920B Program midsize TNGA-F mules and not the frozen production design itself already testing in final sheetmetal?

I find it VERY puzzling that a vehicle scheduled for August 2023/December 2023 Job 1, BY TOYOTA would be out on public testing rounds so early. From the spy shots to this, seems VERY deliberate for Toyota.

Oddly enough, they are becoming mysteriously transparent regarding this vehicle. I heard via CALTY the new truck would be evolutionary back in 2020, as the upcoming Tundra already borrowed from current Tacoma styling and simply put a newer twist on it. There was no other way, except to evolve the next Tacoma in the same direction for uniformity.
View attachment 140640

View attachment 140634 View attachment 140645
This looks exactly like what I was told about 1 year ago, but I couldn't really know it, unless right in front of me. It's not a 2023 model, so why is Toyota showing this at all? Very puzzling, if that launch date is still accurate.
Thanks for the insight.

Can you comment on any of these other cars?

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,758 Posts
Of all these concepts I’m sure that Tacoma is the closest to production.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,758 Posts
I’ve seen a few different all-but-confirmed posts from folks “in the industry“ that say that the all-new 4th Gen Tacoma is going to arrive as the 2024 model.

No, the EV version won’t be that soon, but most are expecting a turbo-4 plus hybrid option. It will absolutely share the new Tundra platform and that will mean big improvements like coil-sprung rear and rear disc brakes.

I think the styling will be evolutionary from the popular 3rd Gen but with elements from the new Tundra, particularly in the front.

I’m looking forward to it. I really hope we get a PHEV version as well.

Reactions: Automaker1

·
Registered
2013 Taco / 2006 R53
2,190 Posts
The rear axle of the EV Taco is clearly a 4-link coil sprung setup - they're telling us exactly what they're going to do and how they're going to do it.

That truck is the next gen Tacoma with a couple small visual changes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the insight.

Can you comment on any of these other cars?

Thank you, glad to.

I definitely do, but I need some time to think about my wording on them and vet my thoughts.

There have been mysterious developments the past few years at Toyota, in which I need to make sense of it all.
No. The current one is just a refresh from 2005.
But isn't this thread about the 4th generation vehicle? So it needs to be retitled. Unfortunately stupid Jalopnik had the first photographic evidence of its existence in those reader taken spy shots they had the earliest, yet botched the messaging by calling it a "refresh" for 2023, but meant "redesign".

Sidenote: I don't know why anyone calls a new generation vehicle a "refresh". Seems really ignorant to me, as I see "refreshes" as 100% mid cycle changes. Average joe can make these mistakes, but not so much journalists that get their word taken as gospel.

Like you said, the current Tacoma (internally codenamed for 989A for 2016-19, 2020-23 is 625B) was officially designated a Major Minor Change for 2016 by Toyota in terms of product planning, unlike the 2005 and the upcoming 2024.

Like the 4Runner, they are both borderline heavy redos of the utilities launched in January 2003 (V6 only) and October 2004. Basically 20 years old when they get redesigned.

Seems like Toyota also favored a storm trooper look with this design.

White Toy Sleeve Personal protective equipment Machine
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Its incredibly surprising how many people complain about the seats in the 3rd Gen Tacoma and the fact that seat jackers exist. Im 6 foot 185lbs and have driven my Tacoma 80,000+ miles in 3 years. I actually think the seats are super comfy and have never had any issues with comfort or the need for more support. Buncha princess and the pea f**ckin nancies around here and even more so on tacomaworld.

If there is a single change Toyota needs to make its the transmission. Thats it.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
24,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Its incredibly surprising how many people complain about the seats in the 3rd Gen Tacoma and the fact that seat jackers exist. Im 6 foot 185lbs and have driven my Tacoma 80,000+ miles in 3 years. I actually think the seats are super comfy and have never had any issues with comfort or the need for more support. Buncha princess and the pea f**ckin nancies around here and even more so on tacomaworld.

If there is a single change Toyota needs to make its the transmission. Thats it.
I don’t have a horse in this race, but maybe, just maybe, not everyone is built like you and aren’t as receptive to the seats as you?

Just because you find them comfortable doesn’t mean that the complaints are any less valid.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I don’t have a horse in this race, but maybe, just maybe, not everyone is built like you and aren’t as receptive to the seats as you?

Just because you find them comfortable doesn’t mean that the complaints are any less valid.
About the only car I have ever been in that received universal praise for the seats is Volvo. Other that that someone is going to hate them...someone is going to love them.

·
Registered
542 Posts

I don’t have any issues with the seats in my 2021. I just hit 2000 miles and find the transmission not as bad. I do think the stereo is complete garbage, especially the Bluetooth and CarPlay.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 328i, 2017 Acura MDX
4,782 Posts

I think that, for me, the issue is less the seat themselves than the overall ergonomics of the cabin, at least in the 3rd gen. The seats were bad in the 2nd generation of the Tacoma, there was a bar that stuck out in the lumbar area for the active head restraint and on the TRD "sport seats", there were bolsters at the top of the seat that curved in towards the driver and if you were over ~5'10" or so they'd hit you right in the shoulder blades, forcing a hunched back position.

With the 3rd generation, they more or less fixed the seats themselves I think, though I don't have a ton of seat time in a 3rd gen to say if they're comfortable for 3-10 hours. What still is an issue though, is that the seat and steering wheel are still weirdly located relative to each other. The Tacoma has a low seat (or high floor?) that puts your legs out in front of you like a car, but it has a steering wheel that is like a bus-driver's, angled up and too far away from the driver even at the most telescoped position. Raising the seat height effectively rotates you around the hips, making the steering wheel reach less bad, but then the issue is that the rearview mirror blocks your vision and there isn't a ton of headroom to begin with.

So yeah, ergonomics. The new Taco should have better ones.

81 - 100 of 178 Posts