VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
In my brief drive of one a few years back, I was with the owner and A/C was on. It didn't feel as slow as everyone said, and I didn't remember the NVH being terrible. But that would prob all come with time.

This should def address the power issue and I'd bet some of the added weight went to NVH mitigation. IDK man. Outside of badge, cylinder count and depreciation.... I'm struggling to think of reasons not to add this to the sports car shopping list. This checks off all the realistic new sports car boxes
My wife is 48 - 50 kilos (well, more after being pregnant) and I could feel the difference with her in the car. Oddly enough, the added mass is not as noticeable in the Miata.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Meh. That was a concept.

I doubt a drop top would have a backseat. Then again, if the MINI can.
Right, but it shows the backseats do work with a soft top.

The tightest I have personally experienced is with the Lexus SC430. :laugh:

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,667 Posts
I'm *really* digging the new BRZ.

That new torque curve and more torque should really change the dynamics and shortcomings of the outgoing model.

Will put on list of cars I need to drive.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Subaru explains why it chose not to turbocharge the new 2022 BRZ

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/20/2022-subaru-brz-why-it-isnt-turbocharged/

Weight, cost kept forced induction at bay — and then there's the Supra

Enthusiasts hoping the second-generation Subaru BRZ would break cover with a turbocharged engine were sorely disappointed. Unveiled this week, it receives a bigger engine that delivers more horsepower and torque, but it remains naturally aspirated. Subaru explained why its engineers ruled out adopting forced induction.

Power for the BRZ comes from a 2.4-liter flat-four that's related to the engine found in the Ascent, but the turbo didn't make the leap from the crossover to the coupe due to weight, packaging, and cost restrictions. Dominick Infante, the head of Subaru's public relations team, told Road & Track that turbocharging the BRZ would have required mounting the engine higher, which would have compromised handling by raising the center of gravity.

Going turbo would have made the BRZ heavier, too. Although the actual turbocharger doesn't add a significant amount of weight, the mass of the related components (like the intercooler, various pipes, and so on) piles up. And, inevitably, incorporating these parts would have forced Subaru to increase the model's price. With a turbo, the BRZ would be heavier, more expensive, and not as balanced in the name of extra horsepower, and that's not its calling in life. It's marketed as a reasonably light, fairly affordable, and highly balanced machine.

One interesting point few have brought up is that the BRZ's engine will almost certainly power the next Toyota 86, and its horsepower output stands within striking distance of the Toyota Supra's four-cylinder. The 2.4-liter develops 228 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque, while the Supra's entry-level 2.0-liter is rated at 255 and 295, respectively. Adding a turbo would risk bumping the BRZ's horsepower figure over the 255 mark, which would look bad, since that's the metric many buyers use to judge a performance car. Alternatively, going through the trouble of turbocharging the engine to cap its output at 245, for example, would be a colossal waste of time.

We'd be surprised if the BRZ goes turbo later in the 2020s, but look on the bright side. At least it exists — rumors claimed the first-generation model would retire without a successor, and they were moderately credible. And at least it will be sold in America; Subaru confirmed the coupe will not be available on the European market.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Do you blame them?

Why have two cars competing with each other for the same segment?
It's not even **** blocking. It's simple product hierarchy.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Hrm not to be "that guy" but where's the cubby/USB/charge port for phone/carplay/android auto? Armrest maybe?

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,667 Posts
Hrm not to be "that guy" but where's the cubby/USB/charge port for phone/carplay/android auto? Armrest maybe?
Likely.

No reason to have it out and within sight, it's a distraction.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
What's that hole under the driver's side backseat? Looks like a plug of some sort but also looks very out of place.

·
Registered
2016 GTI
3,088 Posts
It's in the armrest. I think Redline review shows it.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
9,378 Posts
Three cupholders, sweet.

That engine start button looks... really close to the temp knob.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
interior's fine, but i think i prefer the current gen's gauge cluster

nonetheless, exterior is nice, the rear end is a big step up, and the weight is lower and get more power. win-win-win.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I just wish they had aped the 911 by keeping the tach analog. Otherwise, I have absolutely no complaints about the interior styling.

181 - 200 of 234 Posts