VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,935 Posts
Production starts next spring.

Was so wrapped up in new BRZ that I completely forgot about new WRX. I don't know how reliable the FA engine has been, but if it is a long-termer, a new WRX might even overshadow the BRZ for me. 2022 STI is sooooo far away though haha.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
I also like this better than the BRZ.

In other news Bestcar says the new BRZ may not even come to Japan.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Another one but with BRZ headlights. What was Subaru thinking with that front bumper? This looks so much better.

·
Registered
35,002 Posts
I actually like the 2021 Subaru styling as-is. I thought the original looked kinda cheap and that now it looks pretty classy while still being sporty, but not too boy racer. Basically I think Subaru got it just right.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
I actually like the 2021 Subaru styling as-is. I thought the original looked kinda cheap and that now it looks pretty classy while still being sporty, but not too boy racer. Basically I think Subaru got it just right.
It is a definite improvement. Some elements are just really out of place.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Was so wrapped up in new BRZ that I completely forgot about new WRX. I don't know how reliable the FA engine has been, but if it is a long-termer, a new WRX might even overshadow the BRZ for me. 2022 STI is sooooo far away though haha.
From what I've seen, the FA20 had pretty middling reliability. It's better than the EJ, but not exactly a Toyota motor. They do seem to hold high HP better than the EJ in stock form, but in the WRX the drivetrain is a weak point and the stock turbo is too small. Like many DI motors without secondary port injectors, they need carbon cleaning after 40-50k miles.

My guess is that the new WRX is going to be pretty evolutionary, and is going to retain some of the same problems I had with the current generation- powerband too focused on mid/low range (falls on its face at high revs) coupled with rev hang in the manual and a crappy CVT if you don't want to row your own.

·
Registered
9,935 Posts
From what I've seen, the FA20 had pretty middling reliability. It's better than the EJ, but not exactly a Toyota motor. They do seem to hold high HP better than the EJ in stock form, but in the WRX the drivetrain is a weak point and the stock turbo is too small. Like many DI motors without secondary port injectors, they need carbon cleaning after 40-50k miles.

My guess is that the new WRX is going to be pretty evolutionary, and is going to retain some of the same problems I had with the current generation- powerband too focused on mid/low range (falls on its face at high revs) coupled with rev hang in the manual and a crappy CVT if you don't want to row your own.
I still have to drive the updated cars re: rev hang. My buddy has a COBB tune on his and it improved things, but only a bit.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,188 Posts
Another one but with BRZ headlights. What was Subaru thinking with that front bumper? This looks so much better.

Ehh. I like what they did better. This has the same problem as the 400Z. The grille is too blocky.

221 - 240 of 279 Posts