VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,985 Posts
As a Subaru Ambassador I was given access to these behind the scenes photos this morning. Pretty rad!

To be clear, I was not on site. I was given access the photos to share. Photos were taken by Michael Shaffer at Capitol Sunset Capitol Sunset

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,076 Posts
How does it sound? Can you give any impressions of how it is in real life?

Edit: A 22B?! :eek:

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,189 Posts
I wasn't there. The photos were just shared with ambassadors to post. Oh how I wish I would've been there though!
So does this mean they pay you to spam forums and social media?

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
3,865 Posts
Darn. I'd love to get paid to spam forums 😆

And no, it's not spam when well done like your post. Looking forward to reviews of the new BRZ

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Darn. I'd love to get paid to spam forums 😆

And no, it's not spam when well done like your post. Looking forward to reviews of the new BRZ
I edited my post. I didn't get to be there, I just get to share the pics ;) I'm working to pin down who took the pics as well so I can give them the credit.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Subaru ambassadors just get free swag and discount codes to handout. They aren't paid and have no obligation to post on social media.
Thanks! I'm overdue to make a thread on my new WRX. When I do I will add some info about my Subaru things.

·
Registered
2019 Cannondale SuperX
3,423 Posts
I'm hoping these things turn out to be as great as they seem. I'm selling my 86 to Carvana this week while it still has some value and saving money for whatever's next, whenever that may be... I definitely am not buying another car until we get out of the rust belt.

·
Registered
S2000
7,425 Posts
I'm hoping these things turn out to be as great as they seem. I'm selling my 86 to Carvana this week while it still has some value and saving money for whatever's next, whenever that may be... I definitely am not buying another car until we get out of the rust belt.
Wait what??

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You know this car is a flop when car guys have to remind each other what the point of it is...

and it's supposed to be targeted exactly at car guys...

·
Registered
470 Posts
From what I've seen, the FA20 had pretty middling reliability. It's better than the EJ, but not exactly a Toyota motor. They do seem to hold high HP better than the EJ in stock form, but in the WRX the drivetrain is a weak point and the stock turbo is too small. Like many DI motors without secondary port injectors, they need carbon cleaning after 40-50k miles.

My guess is that the new WRX is going to be pretty evolutionary, and is going to retain some of the same problems I had with the current generation- powerband too focused on mid/low range (falls on its face at high revs) coupled with rev hang in the manual and a crappy CVT if you don't want to row your own.
This is what was originally thought about the FA20 because it responds well to ethanol, but it turns out.. it can't make power without it.
It NEEDS ethanol to make any power and anything above 350whp you're either gonna blow up the motor, or the transmission, or a diff.. something is gonna go, maybe all of it.

The EJ was always able to do that without ethanol, and the newer (19+) motors are easily doing 400whp+ with just pump gas, even 500whp like my tuner's Forester, if you have e85 available, and that's on the older motor.

I have high hopes for the FA24, someone swapped it into a Crosstrek and got 500whp out of it with stock internals!
But the FA20 has turned out to be a wimp, but a very efficient one.

241 - 260 of 279 Posts