VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
You know this car is a flop when car guys have to remind each other what the point of it is...

and it's supposed to be targeted exactly at car guys...
Only idiots and trolls don't know what the point of this is.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Guessing this is the Toyota version?
The front end is front the 1st gen. Actually the whole shell looks like its the 1st gen but with air vents on the front fender and massive C8 looking ones on the 1/4 panel. Some people are speculating its a MR2 test mule.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
I'm looking forward to this more and more. I love my 86, I've thought about selling/trading and getting a hatch thing and a rwd thing (miata) but this car has been so so so so good. And for what it is, practical. I may end up just going to the newer version, I just hope its as efficient lol, I love 34+ mpg (VA speeds, 32+/- in the rest of the country)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
So much right from the video. There is a reason why BRZ starts at $28k Cdn and Civic Type R starts at $48k Cdn (which is based on a FWD platform $23k Cdn car)!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Agreed 100%. Subaru looks like they nailed this one. It's got more than enough power to be fun, flatish torque curve, simple and cheap.

·
Registered
26,212 Posts
I'm looking forward to this more and more. I love my 86, I've thought about selling/trading and getting a hatch thing and a rwd thing (miata) but this car has been so so so so good. And for what it is, practical. I may end up just going to the newer version, I just hope its as efficient lol, I love 34+ mpg (VA speeds, 32+/- in the rest of the country)
Same here.
As much as I love the miata, I am not sure that I need to own a 2 seat convertible, since I was already looking for a 2nd car when the weather or my mood was just not "up for" dealing with driving the miata.

For me the miata is great on any day I can drop the top, even if its only 40 degrees. But once it rains or is pitch black dark or both... it feels more like a chore.

Covid has made it so making a change is less necessary, since I barely drive anyways. But that also hurts the miata since I have put very very few miles on it over the past year, so much so that I honestly cannot tell you the last time I drove it out of the driveway even.

·
Registered
2019 Cannondale SuperX
3,423 Posts
Same here.
As much as I love the miata, I am not sure that I need to own a 2 seat convertible, since I was already looking for a 2nd car when the weather or my mood was just not "up for" dealing with driving the miata.

For me the miata is great on any day I can drop the top, even if its only 40 degrees. But once it rains or is pitch black dark or both... it feels more like a chore.

Covid has made it so making a change is less necessary, since I barely drive anyways. But that also hurts the miata since I have put very very few miles on it over the past year, so much so that I honestly cannot tell you the last time I drove it out of the driveway even.
That's funny, driving at night was the only time I ever kind of liked my convertible. Dark plus keeping speeds under like 40 mph. Basically pretending to be Don Johnson rocking out to Phil Collins...

·
Registered
26,212 Posts
That's funny, driving at night was the only time I ever kind of liked my convertible. Dark plus keeping speeds under like 40 mph. Basically pretending to be Don Johnson rocking out to Phil Collins...
Maybe its the combo of dark and rain, while just trying to commute home that is my issue.

The car gets a lot louder on wet roads and with the rain, then adding in the dark makes the already NOT awesome 360 visibility even more problematic.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I agree. I bought an S2000 for my move to California. Then I realized the blazing 105 degree sun of the valley made putting the top down pretty scalding. Highway speeds were deafening. So, cruising around town on a warm summer night was basically my favorite way to enjoy the car.

Anyway, this is a strong favorite for when the Cayman becomes too difficult to keep up. Jason Cammisa nails it. Cheap to own. Cheap to run. Practical enough in a way a Miata can’t be. Fun at reasonable speeds.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Same here.

Heavy rain or extreme heat (95+) was the only time I didn’t enjoy having the top down in my Miata.

But I think the 2+2 is underrated over a 2 seater in terms of practicality.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The styling is dead-on I'll give it that. The grille is downright petite compared to most cars these days. Hope Subaru pulls a Merc and makes all their vehicles look like this. They copied the Vantage's entire rear end setup from the notched rear fascia to the ducktail.

I think I'll like it more once I see authentic mods that are applied by jdm fans.

I just think the american subaru customer expects boring-awd practicality and this is not that. I think if they offered it with awd it would be more compelling to the subaru client but then it would be more alienating to the lightweight desiring driving enthusiants. subaru is like the cheerios of cars, it needs to be very dull and have a lot of baked in value to work in the US. if subaru released a rebadged hilux it would probably sell otu entire production runs.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,935 Posts
The styling is dead-on I'll give it that. The grille is downright petite compared to most cars these days. Hope Subaru pulls a Merc and makes all their vehicles look like this. They copied the Vantage's entire rear end setup from the notched rear fascia to the ducktail.

I think I'll like it more once I see authentic mods that are applied by jdm fans.

I just think the american subaru customer expects boring-awd practicality and this is not that. I think if they offered it with awd it would be more compelling to the subaru client but then it would be more alienating to the lightweight desiring driving enthusiants. subaru is like the cheerios of cars, it needs to be very dull and have a lot of baked in value to work in the US. if subaru released a rebadged hilux it would probably sell otu entire production runs.
Have to disagree. It may be petite, but the grille is easily the worst part of the car's styling.

261 - 279 of 279 Posts