VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

21 - 40 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
One thing I do not understand is how it's the same displacement and such as the existing 2.4L but it's allegedly not the same engine already in use (I heard that in one of the videos). I cannot believe they built an entirely new engine for this low volume car.
It's most likely the existing FA24 with lightly worked over head to allow higher revs and provide more of a performance characteristic. May just be a different cam and valvesprings. No chance it's a clean sheet new 2.4L.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,136 Posts
Also checked on weight gain:

lowest weight (manual premium trim)

2798# current gen vs 2815# new gen

highest weight (automatic limited trim)

2840# current gen vs 2881# new gen

#humblebrag alert: I personally lost 17 pounds during quarantine (less wining & dining)... so if old fat me was happy with a current gen BRZ, new me will be even happier in a new gen!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
#humblebrag alert: I personally lost 17 pounds during quarantine (less wining & dining)... so if old fat me was happy with a current gen BRZ, new me will be even happier in a new gen!
You must be the only one. Everyone else has gained the "Covid-19" (myself included).

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
I really, really like it! They did an awesome job evolving a car that was already really good at what it was designed for. The extra torque and power should fix the one weak spot it had, and the styling evolution is good; a little fussy at first, but it's growing on me quickly. The back is leaps and bounds better than the old car.

Also, did they finally cave and give us good tires? :eek:

·
Premium Member
15,995 Posts
Overall its better in basically every aspect, but I really don't like the cluster as its a massive downgrade to the center tach perfection from the 1st-gen. Total nitpick, I know, but its weird to have a lot of analog controls in the cabin with a screen for a cluster.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Random thoughts:

Front end is great.
Front fender swoop is a bit awkward compared to the rest of the body. But whatev, still attractive.
Fake diffuser in the rear sucks. I hate fake diffusers but they're putting them on everything these days.
Fuel door is kind of awkward
Interior is clean/simple, looks great
Gauge cluster is killer

AND

MOST IMPORTANTLY....

It finally comes with a set of wheels that don't look like complete dog****.

Ever since the BRZ/86 came out, they have been memorable for the 'coolest car with worst factory wheels' combo.... it's just amazing. The wheels were so cheap, tacky, and gross looking, and they put them on this attractive, sporty, pretty good looking coupe.

Behold how terrible these wheels are:

Just... YUCK.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Yea I can definitely see myself in one of these if I don't find a deal on a Supra in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I like it, a lot. I personally would try to stretch to the Supra, but this has a lot of appeal as a “Miata Cayman”.

Edit: me an Bombardi on the same page :beer:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks like a great car all around.

If I had to nitpick...
  • I'd lose the tail light bar going across the trunk (most cars built to a price point can't afford all the LEDs to make it light up evenly, as seen in the Civic coupe, or at all in the case of the latest Corolla and this BRZ)
  • Two-piece fender is a bet meh...it looks too busy
  • I prefer the proportions on the old car better. This one looks a bit bulked up.

I've realized that if a car drives well, most else can be forgiven.
I don't think my 2009 Miata (refreshed NC) is a looker but I'm not in love with the looks the way I was with my mk5 and particularly my mk6 GTI and that's made my life a lot easier.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really can't understand why they insist on putting a N/A engine in it.
Because it goes with the character of the car--lightweight and simple.

Also, I prefer the feel of a NA engine, and there are plenty of turbo cars out now.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Anyone know the number of 86/BRZ sold worldwide? It's not that low volume right?
Goodcarbadcar keeps US BRZ figures:

Yearsold

and 86

Year
sold

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Looks great to me. Better than the 86, especially in the front.

I'm not sure about the seats. I can't tell without sitting in them but they look like they might be wider which is not good for my skinny self. My 86 seats already fit me with room to spare for a winter coat.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Before the Supra, I always wondered why Subaru in particular which is no stranger to turbos didn’t offer an STi trim with a turbo. Now that the Supra exists I get why Toyota doesn’t feel the need for a turbo 86, but I do wonder if Subaru wishes it had a turbo trim.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I like it. Looks more aggressive & muscular than the previous gen, but not over done. Nicely evolved. From vids it’s apparent you can feel the extra bit of power & torque. I know the tuners can’t wait to get a hold of them.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Before the Supra, I always wondered why Subaru in particular which is no stranger to turbos didn’t offer an STi trim with a turbo. Now that the Supra exists I get why Toyota doesn’t feel the need for a turbo 86, but I do wonder if Subaru wishes it had a turbo trim.
I guess no if Subaru want to keep this car as cheap as possible to make and as light as possible (one of its main selling point).

Honestly NA compact sporty car is so rare right now, I want to keep it this way. Also keep it RWD. :)rolleyes: to the guy who want it AWD, go buy a TT that no one care)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I pre-ordered a 2013 before release, and loved it. Mine was a bit lower, and had one of those electric superchargers for ~20-30hp which looks like this model addresses.

The styling is great, the dash is fantastic and with android auto/car play the joke radio isn't even a problem anymore.

One thing that did drive me bananas in the old car was to save 1kg weight they removed the seat recline position memory. So every time my kid got out the back, I had to re-adjust my recline. Hopefully they put that back in this one.

21 - 40 of 234 Posts