VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
Looks good, but that's a car you're going to want to put a front plate on.

I really can't understand why they insist on putting a N/A engine in it. :confused:
Not that I'm in the market for one of these, but I'm glad they didn't go turbo. Who wants one more turbo four cylinder? Yeah yeah, most people... bu a high-revving N/A engine with power right up at the redline is more interesting and seems to suit the character of the car.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I love the styling evolution and the smoother and more powerful engine will just be icing on the cake. Even though the wider rear track may not be necessarily visible to the naked eye, I love how they've bulged out the rear quarters to give a visual suggestion of it. I am excited for this car in a way that I wasn't for the original, I think this is a great second-gen effort.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Anyone else see any Honda/Acura in the rear end?

Interesting to see the partsbin sharing - it has the same HVAC vents (on the left and right) as our Corolla.

It is probably the most interesting thing on our car, to be honest. There are five little "petals" that rotate when you twist the knob. Normally they are aligned with airflow and hidden behind the fins... but then they flip out, rotate and seal together. It is a pretty interesting mechanism to see in motion, instead of the usual flap.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Anyone else see any Honda/Acura in the rear end?

Interesting to see the partsbin sharing - it has the same HVAC vents (on the left and right) as our Corolla.

It is probably the most interesting thing on our car, to be honest. There are five little "petals" that rotate when you twist the knob. Normally they are aligned with airflow and hidden behind the fins... but then they flip out, rotate and seal together. It is a pretty interesting mechanism to see in motion, instead of the usual flap.
Neat. It's like a camera aperture but functions in 3 dimensions instead of 2.

·
Premium Member
18,248 Posts
Looks great to me. Better than the 86, especially in the front.

I'm not sure about the seats. I can't tell without sitting in them but they look like they might be wider which is not good for my skinny self. My 86 seats already fit me with room to spare for a winter coat.
Yeah, tell me about it. It got worse when I tried to find a bucket for it and am now looking at overnight parts from Japan. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
One thing I do not understand is how it's the same displacement and such as the existing 2.4L but it's allegedly not the same engine already in use (I heard that in one of the videos). I cannot believe they built an entirely new engine for this low volume car.
The existing cars have a 2.0 and the Impreza/Crosstrek has a 2.0 . The BRZ/86 is the FA20 and the Impreza is the FB20 . Same deal I'd assume, different criteria so different internal components etc

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
^Same here, reading a number of comments about people complaining about that as well.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I actually prefer the exterior styling of the first gen more, but everything else (interior, tech, powertrain) is improved on the new model. I'm just glad they're still making this car. Hopefully this and the Miata will stick around 10 years from now.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
I’d still drive one, but what a terribly dull interior.
I don't love it but don't hate it either. It is admittedly pretty basic/boring, but the steering wheel, seats and shifter all look good and comfortable, the rest of the interior looks very utilitarian and basic. I do like the knobs with displays integrated into them for the HVAC stuff, in fact the switch stack and shifter area look good to me, but the screen/screen shroud and vents above it do look kinda.... ugly. Eh, it wouldn't keep me out of one though.

·
Registered
22,170 Posts
Wow that's a huge improvement inside & out. That rear view is great, almost looks like it could pass for a new Genesis coupe.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Overall I think its am improvement. I really like the side profile and the rear end.

41 - 60 of 234 Posts