VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I replaced the spark plugs for wife's 2010 Golf 2.5 @ 30K with Autolite APP5224-4PK Double Platinum Spark Plug. It's now 130K still running great but it's got 100K so I wanted to change. Did a research and found this thread. I think I will stick with Autolite but the only thing is they changed the design and I kind of wanted to stick with the old one because it's been working great for me...
Update: I installed the Autolite APP5224 spark plugs and the car had frequent stalls, then I replaced then with the NGK 5960(recommended per NGK website based on my vehicle info), the car has been running fine since.

·
Registered
278 Posts
After I bought my new-to-me 2008 Rabbit 2.5 with 142K miles on it, I immediately changed all the fluids and most of the at-life seals and sensors, plus deleted the vacuum pump. Here are the NGK parts I installed.

Coils NGK – U5015 (48978)

Spark plugs
NGK – ZFR5AIX-11 (94553) Iridium IX

It's been running perfectly for the last 11K miles. I can't actually say that it runs better than before the tune-up because I only put a few miles on it before then and I don't really have a comparison.

I am extremely pleased with the performance and gas mileage, not to mention that I have no leaks, no overheating and it burns no oil. The only special treatment it gets besides premium full synthetic fluids is that I let the engine warm up from a cold start until the rpm's drop to 800 so that it goes into gear without a bump.It has the 09G automatic transmission and I use Sport mode on all secondary roads.I only use Drive mode on the interstate. The manual Tiptronic stick is only used in the snow in mountains and occasionally, just for kicks but not that often. Even then, the mileage is in the mid-20's in town and mid-30's on the interstate and the rpm's are always up in the "fun-range".

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good job Boomer Guy, what fluid did you use for the AT transmission? Did you change the filter as well? I had dealer changed it 2x but noticed they didn't even change the filter according to the receipt. I might change mine next time when it's due.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good job Boomer Guy, what fluid did you use for the AT transmission? Did you change the filter as well? I had dealer changed it 2x but noticed they didn't even change the filter according to the receipt. I might change mine next time when it's due.
For the transmission, I originally used
ATF (VW G 055 025 Spec) Aisin T-IV (Part No. ATF-0T4) - Recommended by Aisin, the transmission manufacturer (non-synthetic).
ATF filter ATP 15508 - I found the original one to be spotless when I removed it, so I may not be changing this anymore at 30K intervals...maybe 60K intervals.
However, I have since switched to Amsoil OE Synthetic ATF - Multi-Vehicle because it is full synthetic and I have been using Amsoil products for over 30K years with no problems (no, I am not a dealer).

For the engine, I originally used
Motor oil (VW 502 00 Spec) Castrol Edge European 5W-40 but I have since switched to Amsoil FS Synthetic European - 5W-40.

Please note that I had no problems at all with the Aisin ATF or the Castrol motor oil. I simply prefer Amsoil because of my past experiences with Amsoil products. I would not hesitate to switch back to Aisin or Castrol.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For the transmission, I originally used
ATF (VW G 055 025 Spec) Aisin T-IV (Part No. ATF-0T4) - Recommended by Aisin, the transmission manufacturer (non-synthetic).
ATF filter ATP 15508 - I found the original one to be spotless when I removed it, so I may not be changing this anymore at 30K intervals...maybe 60K intervals.
However, I have since switched to Amsoil OE Synthetic ATF - Multi-Vehicle because it is full synthetic and I have been using Amsoil products for over 30K years with no problems (no, I am not a dealer).

For the engine, I originally used
Motor oil (VW 502 00 Spec) Castrol Edge European 5W-40 but I have since switched to Amsoil FS Synthetic European - 5W-40.

Please note that I had no problems at all with the Aisin ATF or the Castrol motor oil. I simply prefer Amsoil because of my past experiences with Amsoil products. I would not hesitate to switch back to Aisin or Castrol.

Hope this helps.
I forgot to mention that the Amsoil products meet the VW specs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks for you promp reply. I am drawn to use the Valvoline 1GA fully synthetic AT fluid. It says works with 90% of traditional AT but wonder if it works on my 2010 Golf. On the back of the bottle image states that it works with VW G 052-25-A2 and G 052-162-A1. Here is the link on Amazon

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for you promp reply. I am drawn to use the Valvoline 1GA fully synthetic AT fluid. It says works with 90% of traditional AT but wonder if it works on my 2010 Golf. On the back of the bottle image states that it works with VW G 052-25-A2 and G 052-162-A1. Here is the link on Amazon
Compare the Valvoline VW spec for the ATF with the one in your owner's manual. Regardless of brands, full or non-synthetic, be sure the numbers match exactly. Don't risk your transmission.

Likewise, be sure you only add the specific coolant to your system if necessary, according to the one that is already in it. If you decide to upgrade to a newer, later coolant be sure to NOT MIX it. My mechanic has a coolant purging machine that pushes the old coolant out of the discharge hose as it pulls in new coolant in the intake hose. The old and new coolants never mix and air is never introduced. He has been the lead mechanic at my garage and he owned my Rabbit for 10 years prior to my buying it from him. I do all the easy stuff and he does the difficult stuff.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

After going to 2 different oreillys, I was able to find a set. These are just $3 each. Will let you guys know how they run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update on these plugs.

They’re great. More top end. Mileage increase. No pinging. I would run these on any 2.5.

There’s a reason why VW eventually went to these later in the 2.5 lifespan.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what performance modifications do you have installed to your 2.5L?

Update on these plugs.

They’re great. More top end. Mileage increase. No pinging. I would run these on any 2.5.

There’s a reason why VW eventually went to these later in the 2.5 lifespan.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts