VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on Passatworld as well...

I've been in contact with the NHTSA regarding the oil pump bolt failures. I'v received a response from the NHTSA and they will gladly accept documentation such as work orders, photos and list of fellow owners reporting failures. They've opened an escalated case for the issue and have advised they will review the documentation we provide.

Now's our chance to force VW's hand. If I show up with three documents, they're going to put it on the back burner and take future correspondence from us less seriously.

I'm asking for 3.6 owners who've experienced the oil pump bolt failure and who are willing to provide work orders or other docs to PM me. I plan to compile as many documented cases as I can and send to the NHTSA along with a write up, engine diagram and photos.

This is our chance! They've agreed to listen if we can get enough cases documented.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Thanks!

·
33,221 Posts

I've been in contact with the NHTSA regarding the oil pump bolt failures. I'v received a response from the NHTSA and they will gladly accept documentation such as work orders, photos and list of fellow owners reporting failures. They've opened an escalated case for the issue and have advised they will review the documentation we provide.

Now's our chance to force VW's hand. If I show up with three documents, they're going to put it on the back burner and take future correspondence from us less seriously.

I'm asking for 3.6 owners who've experienced the oil pump bolt failure and who are willing to provide work orders or other docs to PM me. I plan to compile as many documented cases as I can and send to the NHTSA along with a write up, engine diagram and photos.

This is our chance! They've agreed to listen if we can get enough cases documented.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Thanks!
all of my info is in the failure thread, as well as I also filed with the NHTSA back when this happened in 07.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Thanks in Advance!!!

Thanks!
This is a great first step! I also own a 3.6 and it runs great but I drive everyday in fear of having my car die in some unexpected location. I REALLY hope this can be made into a recall. I haven't had any issues so far but you have my full support and PLEASE let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do as a 3.6 owner to help. And thank you for your efforts. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
This is a great first step! I also own a 3.6 and it runs great but I drive everyday in fear of having my car die in some unexpected location. I REALLY hope this can be made into a recall. I haven't had any issues so far but you have my full support and PLEASE let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do as a 3.6 owner to help. And thank you for your efforts. :thumbup::thumbup:

X2...Please inform me if you need any thing to help the cause. I too never had the bolt issue but definitely concerned as i have 577xx miles.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone willing to share work order documents showing the repair? Or, the diagnosis and no repair if out of Warranty?

If, not then I recommend each user go to the NHTSA site and open a case for your car. They want documented instances/complaints from owners before moving ahead. Right now there are less than half dozen complaints related to the bolt failure on the NHTSA site.

If we can get the 50+ voretx owners on the NHTSA radar (either through sending as a group), then we can VW on the NHTSA radar for this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you haven't done it already, you might want to post this over in the 3.6 technical forum as well, where there are a couple of threads about the bolt failure.
Good idea. I've posted within the threads, but they've been around for so long that maybe no one is looking at them. I've only gotten one person willing to provide documents between vortex and Passatworld.

Without backup, this will die on the vine at NHTSA.

·
33,221 Posts
Good idea. I've posted within the threads, but they've been around for so long that maybe no one is looking at them. I've only gotten one person willing to provide documents between vortex and Passatworld.

Without backup, this will die on the vine at NHTSA.
I never received any paperwork, as VW just replaced the car.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My planned timeline

I plan to compile info gathered from folks up until the end of June. After that I'm going to package and send it off to the NHTSA by July 4th weekend.

I've already received some work orders and info from 3.6 owners who've experienced the failure, but we still need more. Keep 'em coming!

I haven't shared with VW as I don't want it to be perceived as a threat or attempt to gain leverage with my car repair. I want it to be perceived as action being taken...not just a threat. The more I look at this and read the feedback, the more I think we have a legitimate case for forcing a recall. Yeah it's a lot of labor to change a single bolt, but VW is hedging the oil pump bolt failure bets on the back of out of warranty owners.

Thanks!

·
33,221 Posts
OP - if you are looking for more data to substantiate your claim with the NHTSA, you should also post this in the Touareg Forums, as well as any Porsche Forums for the Cayenne; as BOTH of those vehicles shared/used the 3.6L VR6.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before buying my 06 3.6 last year; I insisted they provide documentation proving that the oil bolt issue had indeed come up and all repair work was completed. Here is the work order they gave me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NHTSA Filing Bolt failure

I have previously filed a complaint at NHTSA ODI ID Number : 10373182
Since I had 85K when the bolt failed, no warranty and no help from VW even after many calls, letters etc.

I have since replaced the engine at my expense with a used motor I sourced and shipped to my local VW mechanic, not dealer, I am going to open the old engine to document the bolt failure,

I had recieved two quotes from VW, one for new engine, $12K plus, and one for a used engine, $7500+ probably with old bolt and possible same issue, no guarantees, (cost me $380 for them to diagnose the bad motor, I then had it towed to my local shop to do the "heart transplant" for more reasonable hourly rates.

I was able to source a used engine from a wreck, have the new "used" motor opened up, replaced the bolt with new, and related timing components so as to not have the same issue, re- installed complete, for around $ 8,000.

After may letters, phone calls to VWoA and VW AG, with no help, I am going to pursue
re-payment through my state Attorney General consumer complaints bureau, if VW ignores that, on to Small claims court, where I can file for up to $8,000 in PA small claims,
Since I am out the cash already, anything short of full reimbursement will trigger the small claims suit, with all the failures on this forum alone, I can't imagine a judge not ruling against VW, and maybe with some legal precedence set, VW will man up and stand behind their products.

·
Registered
368 Posts
After may letters, phone calls to VWoA and VW AG, with no help, I am going to pursue
re-payment through my state Attorney General consumer complaints bureau, if VW ignores that, on to Small claims court, where I can file for up to $8,000 in PA small claims,
Since I am out the cash already, anything short of full reimbursement will trigger the small claims suit, with all the failures on this forum alone, I can't imagine a judge not ruling against VW, and maybe with some legal precedence set, VW will man up and stand behind their products.
Why R you going to small claims court just to lose? I assume you were out of warranty. What contractual obligation did VW have to pay for the repair? Did you have extended coverage? You do realize oil pump bolt failures are relatively rare overall. I don't know what the overall failure rate of the bolt is but it can't be double digit %.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rare compared to what?

How many cars, any make or model, do you know of to have so many of the same exact failures with such a part?

I know of 58+ on this forum alone, I am sure if VW was asked for their warranty work for this issue it would be much much higher, 58 failures of this exact type, and not recalled is probably unprecedented,

if this issue is fixed under warranty who's posting they had an issue in the first place? Only die hard owners,
VW knows full well about this issue, and their part in it. Why did they change the bolt?
I have the failed bolt, and one ordered from VW 2 months ago, Not the same. Why?

they are not replacing 12K short blocks under warranty without some flags going up, since they knew about it back to mid-late 06' and never informed owners while still under warranty, they can be held liable under implied warranty laws.

Since I already paid for their mistake, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this, but suing VWoA in small claims is probably not going to work out for you.:(

1. Implied warranty normally requires that you can prove the seller knew of the defect when they sold it to you. I don't think anyone would argue that VW knew of this issue back in 2006 when they sold you the car. Also, Implied Warranty has a statute of limitations. Depending on the laws in your state, it could be up to 4 years from the date of purchase. Unless your oil pump bolt failed before then, you don't have a reasonable case.

2. Even if you somehow win a judgement in small claims (because the judge has a 3.6L Passat that has failed), the defendant (VWoA) can and will appeal the decision and move the case to superior court. That means you'd be up against a big corporation with potentially unlimited legal representation.

The best bet is to do what you can to support the efforts to complain as a large collective group. Hopefully enough pressure will be created so that VWoA offers some relief to those who have had to pay out of pocket for the repair.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Rare compared to what?

How many cars, any make or model, do you know of to have so many of the same exact failures with such a part?

I know of 58+ on this forum alone, I am sure if VW was asked for their warranty work for this issue it would be much much higher, 58 failures of this exact type, and not recalled is probably unprecedented,

if this issue is fixed under warranty who's posting they had an issue in the first place? Only die hard owners,
VW knows full well about this issue, and their part in it. Why did they change the bolt?
I have the failed bolt, and one ordered from VW 2 months ago, Not the same. Why

they are not replacing 12K short blocks under warranty without some flags going up, since they knew about it back to mid-late 06' and never informed owners while still under warranty, they can be held liable under implied warranty laws.

Since I already paid for their mistake, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I would be great to know how many 3.6 engines were sold in Passats during the relevant time period so a repair per hundred (RPH) can be calculated. Without knowing that number we are just arguing over the principal of it.

As far as how many do I know of that have had the exact same failure....well I approve out of warranty goodwill requests for an engine maker (not VW). I see a lot of engines that have similar failure modes. Whenever a part doesn't last very long our warranty costs go up and if it causes enough pain for our customers and us we usually spend engineering resources to improve it. Engines break, if under warranty its covered. No one can warrant an engine forever.

To your point about the bolts changing design. Yes every OEM reserves to right to improve their product. Does improving the product mean every one with the old product automatically is owed an upgrade? No, of course not. I had a customer buy a used truck with >500K(semi-truck) miles on it and didn't buy extended coverage. At 680K miles a rod went through the block. They owe 3 years of payments on it and need $32K to replace the engine. The whole truck cost $37k used!! They are asking for help from us to cover it. They did not buy the original truck, we made no money on the resale of the truck, they bought no extended coverage, and we have no idea how the previous owner took care of the truck. What should I, as an OEM, do to help this customer. Outside of feeling real bad for them and giving them advice on the least expensive repair method not a whole lot.

I just disagree with the attitude that if product fails outside of warranty, you are automatically owed compensation if a similar failure had occurred previously. Asking for help never hurts. Nothing wrong with having high expectations of the products you buy. I know when I consider helping out someone with a failure outside of warranty I look to see if they had extended coverage. If they didn't then I really do not put a lot of priority on it.

·
Registered
2014 Passat SEL Premium
10,726 Posts
a class action lawsuit is the only way to get a recall on this. I am in the hunt for a fwd 3.6 sport 06/07 right now. Add to my fleet of vw cars, still have my 02 glx 4mo wagon with 140k goin strong.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.