VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 S4 with the Symphony stereo, with a 10" sub right now. It has impressed me for being only a stock stereo, but I may want more out of it. I really don't like the way that the dash looks when you put a single or even double din deck in it, hence I'd like to keep the stock appearing front. Plus I've had enough stereos stolen that I don't want to mess with a flashy deck anymore.
What would be the best way to retain the stock deck and run it into an equalizer or sound processor and amplifier to get the most sound out of it? It doesn't need to be top of the line, and I will probably trade out the stock speakers for component sets eventually.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: Nice Sounding Stereo keeping stock deck... (GruvenVR6)

catch signal coming out of the radio and run it into an eq or something then into aftermarket amps. You can mount a half din eq in the glovebox or somewhere. IIRC the front speakers are run off the radio and the rears are amped. You can add a line out converter very easily to the high level outputs to the front speakers.
myk

·
Registered
40 Posts
An option for you

Purchase an Audio Control EQL which is a 13 band eq that accepts speaker level inputs. Add a four channel amp (two channels for highs running of the EQL signal and a bridged channel for a sub). Replace your front speakers with some nice components and put a 10" sub in your trunk. I would also disconnect the rear speakers so you do not have rear fill if you want additional sound quality.
The stock deck has very low voltage and Audio Control products have a built in line driver that increases the output and hence makes music sound clearer. The speakes will have to be replaced if you want to improve your highs and the sub will fill out the lows.
Honestly you would come out much better with an aftermarket deck but I know how your feel. I did not want to remove my Audi A6 deck since it just looked so perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.