VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
481 - 500 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Honestly I feel like the puddle lights are the icing on the folding mirrors cake!
It makes the car feel much more premium when you're walking up to it, unlock it, and the mirrors fold down and puddle lights light up the side of the car. Adds a nice bit of luxury feel to it. It really should be how the car comes stock.

Going to try to take some pictures, but if you're in this thread i'm sure you already know what they look like haha.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Honestly I feel like the puddle lights are the icing on the folding mirrors cake!
It makes the car feel much more premium when you're walking up to it, unlock it, and the mirrors fold down and puddle lights light up the side of the car. Adds a nice bit of luxury feel to it. It really should be how the car comes stock.

Going to try to take some pictures, but if you're in this thread i'm sure you already know what they look like haha.

LOL..my middle model Ford C-max comes standard with puddle lights..

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
LOL..my middle model Ford C-max comes standard with puddle lights..
You can laugh all you want but i've ALWAYS wanted a car with folding mirrors after I saw my parents friend's BMW do it. In my head as a kid, electronic folding mirrors = luxury car haha. The R checked all the boxes except for that feature so i thought screw it who cares. Once i saw it was possible to retrofit i did it as soon as i had time :D

Also to anyone who comes to this thread looking for coding instructions for a 2017 R the OP's pictures have disappeared. It's pretty obvious with a OBDEleven but i'll put the coding below.

Folding mirrors installed
Do the below for both the drivers and passenger door:
Adaptation - mirror_folding -> "installed" (default is "not_installed")
Adaptation - front_field_light -> "active" (default is "not_active")
Adaptation - mirror_comfort_folding -> "active" (default is "not_active")

FYI front_field_light is the puddle light under the mirrors. By default the puddle light is off when the mirror is closed or doing its folding action (turns off instantly as it starts its motion). There's a setting called "turn_off_front_field_light_when_folded_mirror" (default is "active") that if you change to not_active it keeps the light on all the time that CH/LH lights are on, regardless of if the mirror is folded/folding. More of a personal preference thing.

Folding mirrors automatically when car is locked and add the fold on park menu option: (this was similar to the OPs code but OBD added a space in one of the german words in my car which confused me for a minute, so i'll just repost it):
[09] Central Electronics
[10] Adaptation
[23] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappen change to "active", click do it
[26] - Access control 2 - Menuesteuerung Funkspiegel anklappen change to “active”
[24] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus change to “by look command via remote control key”
and then check is mirrors and parking on car settings to make sure "Fold away after parking" is checked.​

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
+1 I ordered the same parts a few days ago, just waiting on them to arrive. Added in pricing for the curious (obviously pricing varies).

5G1857508EN9B9 156.90 USD
5G1857507DG9B9 156.90 USD
5G0959565AGICX 29.23 USD
7L6868243 0.48 USD each

I bit the bullet and ordered the above from e-acca today for my '17 R w/DAP as I didn't want to get into transplanting the BSM gear. I skipped the euro glass for the moment though. I figured I can always put them in at a later time.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered the above from e-acca today for my '17 R w/DAP as I didn't want to get into transplanting the BSM gear. I skipped the euro glass for the moment though. I figured I can always put them in at a later time.
Let me know how they come in if everything goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Let me know how they come in if everything goes well

Those are the exact part numbers i ordered from E-Acca and can confirm they're correct for a 2017 DAP car, BSM works perfectly. Ordered 2017-08-17, shipped 2017-09-05, and arrived like 5 days later. Owed approx $40 CAD in duties (my order also included $200USD of mirror caps though).

My biggest install tip would be to have a second person there to help you as its makes it 100x easier when fishing through the cable if you have someone to hold the mirror and pull while you push it through. Also definitely buy the extra door clips, i broke 2 on the first door and 1 on the second, they're very fragile.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Those are the exact part numbers i ordered from E-Acca and can confirm they're correct for a 2017 DAP car, BSM works perfectly.

Also definitely buy the extra door clips, i broke 2 on the first door and 1 on the second, they're very fragile.
Pretty sure I lifted the part #'s from your post. :)

I ordered 6 clips while I was at it just to have extra's on hand if needed..

thx!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those are the exact part numbers i ordered from E-Acca and can confirm they're correct for a 2017 DAP car, BSM works perfectly. Ordered 2017-08-17, shipped 2017-09-05, and arrived like 5 days later. Owed approx $40 CAD in duties (my order also included $200USD of mirror caps though).

My biggest install tip would be to have a second person there to help you as its makes it 100x easier when fishing through the cable if you have someone to hold the mirror and pull while you push it through. Also definitely buy the extra door clips, i broke 2 on the first door and 1 on the second, they're very fragile.
Same here, took about 3 weeks for my mirrors to get here, with about 5 days shipping (no duties though).

One thing I noticed, the BSM wire was shorter on the European mirrors than the US ones - I wasn't able to route the wire the same way as it had been. It makes me worry that the connectors will fall out eventually. Anyone else experience this? Is the blind spot light farther inboard on the European mirrors?

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Same here, took about 3 weeks for my mirrors to get here, with about 5 days shipping (no duties though).

One thing I noticed, the BSM wire was shorter on the European mirrors than the US ones - I wasn't able to route the wire the same way as it had been. It makes me worry that the connectors will fall out eventually. Anyone else experience this? Is the blind spot light farther inboard on the European mirrors?
You probably snaked it through the wrong hole inside the door. Had a similar issue when I installed the regular set last summer.

Sent from my mobile office.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

I think its just a random amount, on my drivers side it was the same as stock, on the passenger side i had a ton of slack that i had to curl up and tuck (i was worried the wire was going to come out from behind the glass actually). Once it's connected it should be pretty snug so assuming you have enough slack to connect it while the mirror is off there should be more than enough for when the mirror is clipped in (once its seated it doesn't move a whole lot.

You can tell that its connected/working by turning the blind spot monitoring off/on (the LEDs will glow bright and then fade off) and if the wire comes loose it'll give you an BSM error so you'll know right away (another post didn't connect the wire all the way and got an error).

The blindspot LED is in the same place on European glass (i bought the European curved glass with my mirrors) so it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't believe I saw a clear consensus on whether anyone without DAP was able to retrofit the auto folding mirrors along with BSM. Has anyone successfully done that? I am interested in adding the folding mirrors along with BSM retrofit on my 2016 DCC R without DAP. Do I need BSM? No, but if it can be achieved without completely rewiring the car, i.e. rear sensors the plug into rear harness and mirrors with BSM wiring the plug into door module along with coding, then I would certainly entertain the option.

Not knowing exactly how BSM is integrated into any of the additional features that the DAP cars have, would retrofitting BSM provide any additional value-added benefits aside from just BSM? For example, would the rear sensors be able to allow coding such that rear parking proximity beeps could be unlocked? I assume the DAP cars have rear proximity sensors that provide this functionality. Just trying to think if there are any additional features that retrofitting BSM could potentially provide.

This thread has been a great help, and I appreciate all the input and hard work some of you have put in to make this a relatively painless upgrade for most. I'm trying to sort out the plausibility of the BSM retrofit option before making my purchase. Thanks in advance for any comments and feedback. Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I don't believe I saw a clear consensus on whether anyone without DAP was able to retrofit the auto folding mirrors along with BSM. Has anyone successfully done that? I am interested in adding the folding mirrors along with BSM retrofit on my 2016 DCC R without DAP. Do I need BSM? No, but if it can be achieved without completely rewiring the car, i.e. rear sensors the plug into rear harness and mirrors with BSM wiring the plug into door module along with coding, then I would certainly entertain the option.

Not knowing exactly how BSM is integrated into any of the additional features that the DAP cars have, would retrofitting BSM provide any additional value-added benefits aside from just BSM? For example, would the rear sensors be able to allow coding such that rear parking proximity beeps could be unlocked? I assume the DAP cars have rear proximity sensors that provide this functionality. Just trying to think if there are any additional features that retrofitting BSM could potentially provide.

This thread has been a great help, and I appreciate all the input and hard work some of you have put in to make this a relatively painless upgrade for most. I'm trying to sort out the plausibility of the BSM retrofit option before making my purchase. Thanks in advance for any comments and feedback. Cheers! :beer:
The only difference between the DAP/Non-DAP mirror assembly is the LED light in the glass and the cable running for it. Inside the mirror opening where the glass goes there's 2 wires (BSM and mirror heating) and on the door side there's a thick wire that splits in half at the door module end (a small connector for BSM and another fat connector for everything else). There's no BSM sensors in the mirror assembly (other than the wire for the LED).

If you're not sure i'd just get the BSM mirror assemblies and worst case you just ziptie the BSM wire and don't use it.

You can definitely add folding DAP mirrors to a non-DAP car. As to adding BSM to a non-DAP car i'm not much use there. Definitely would need parts (i think it uses the rear traffic alert sensors which aren't the same as the parking IIRC but i'm not sure).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't imagine being able to successfully connect BSM to a non-BSM equipped car.

There's a specific BSM connector that runs from the mirror assembly wiring harness to a plug inside the door panel that allows for the functionality. Unless the plug exists (and is not in use) in non-BSM cars, I'd think it would be virtually impossible to get it all wired up correctly. :confused:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I can't imagine being able to successfully connect BSM to a non-BSM equipped car.

There's a specific BSM connector that runs from the mirror assembly wiring harness to a plug inside the door panel that allows for the functionality. Unless the plug exists (and is not in use) in non-BSM cars, I'd think it would be virtually impossible to get it all wired up correctly. :confused:
Hmm maybe i misspoke.. I'm assuming when he said he's retrofitting BSM that he'd be adding the modules/parts required to hook up the BSM connector of the mirror into. Obviously if you don't have BSM you're not going to have anywhere to plug it in lol.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

The BSM units (1 master, 1 slave) reside under the rear bumper cover on each side of the vehicle. Wiring then runs length of the car to the mirror housings for the indicator lamps. The wring is not there if your car doesn't have DAP.
The BSM modules also provide Rear Traffic Alert, which has longer range than parking sensors (PDC) when reversing, but only senses moving objects. PDC or parking distace control is completely separate from BSM and has its own sensors and control module.

·
Registered
Lapiz Blue, MT
434 Posts
The BSM units (1 master, 1 slave) reside under the rear bumper cover on each side of the vehicle. Wiring then runs length of the car to the mirror housings for the indicator lamps. The wring is not there if your car doesn't have DAP.
The BSM modules also provide Rear Traffic Alert, which has longer range than parking sensors (PDC) when reversing, but only senses moving objects. PDC or parking distace control is completely separate from BSM and has its own sensors and control module.
Maybe I’m just not interested enough, or capable enough, but this just sounds like way too much work.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My order from e-Acca arrived today instead of Monday (way to go FedEx!). The install took me around 2 - 2.5 hours. Most of the delay was due to me messing around with the door clips and I initially had some troubles getting the driver side door card to go back in correctly around the pinch point area. I am very pleased with the end result. A big thanks for the numerous folks here who have contributed to this thread and supplied me (and many others) with what I needed to find the correct parts (in my case, Euro OEM mirrors w/BSM) , find a reliable place to order them from (e-Acca), and also provided a ton of install instructions and tips as well as the OBDEleven coding. Thanks everyone!

I shot this about 15 mins after the install while I was waiting for my daughter to get out of school and before I did the puddle light coding.

and a quick high shot with the puddle lights:

2017 Golf R w/DAP (BSM). Parts I used with prices from e-Acca:

5G1857508EN9B9 156.90 USD mirror assy with BSM
5G1857507DG9B9 156.90 USD mirror assy with BSM
5G0959565AGICX 29.23 USD mirror switch
7L6868243 0.48 USD door clips

I had to transfer my mirror glass and caps over from my old mirrors to the new ones.

Install notes:

I used a combination of the information in this thread and the DAP install video from You Tube to prep me for what I was getting into.

I used a cheap set of trim tools I got for $9 from Amazon:

I was able to use these tools to remove stuck clips from the door as well as reopen the them using two of the tools using them to apply opposite force to the center of the clip to get them to "pop" back out so they could be reused. I also used them to help push the new cables down into the door channel as well as to help release the mirror caps.

I ordered extra clips when I bought the mirrors from e-Acca, but didn't end up needing them.

I did not fully remove the door cards as I didn't want to mess with the door handle cables.

I am not sure if the GTI's have the interior LED lighting, but on the R's, there is a fragile clear plastic tube that carries the LED lighting from the actual LED lamp to the hole right above the interior door handle - treat this with care as it will easily break and it's not cheap to replace.

I used a heavier string/cord to fish the new cables through the doors as others have mentioned.

I did not remove the door modules to access the green clip. I just carefully used needle nose pliers to help pinch the clip ends in to get the clip out of the hole.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
My order from e-Acca arrived today instead of Monday (way to go FedEx!). The install took me around 2 - 2.5 hours. Most of the delay was due to me messing around with the door clips and I initially had some troubles getting the driver side door card to go back in correctly around the pinch point area. I am very pleased with the end result. A big thanks for the numerous folks here who have contributed to this thread and supplied me (and many others) with what I needed to find the correct parts (in my case, Euro OEM mirrors w/BSM) , find a reliable place to order them from (e-Acca), and also provided a ton of install instructions and tips as well as the OBDEleven coding. Thanks everyone!

2017 Golf R w/DAP (BSM). Parts I used with prices from e-Acca:

5G1857508EN9B9 156.90 USD mirror assy with BSM
5G1857507DG9B9 156.90 USD mirror assy with BSM
5G0959565AGICX 29.23 USD mirror switch
7L6868243 0.48 USD door clips

I had to transfer my mirror glass and caps over from my old mirrors to the new ones.

Install notes:

I used a combination of the information in this thread and the DAP install video from You Tube to prep me for what I was getting into.

I used a cheap set of trim tools I got for $9 from Amazon:

I was able to use these tools to remove stuck clips from the door as well as reopen the them using two of the tools using them to apply opposite force to the center of the clip to get them to "pop" back out so they could be reused. I also used them to help push the new cables down into the door channel as well as to help release the mirror caps.

I ordered extra clips when I bought the mirrors from e-Acca, but didn't end up needing them.

I did not fully remove the door cards as I didn't want to mess with the door handle cables.

I am not sure if the GTI's have the interior LED lighting, but on the R's, there is a fragile clear plastic tube that carries the LED lighting from the actual LED lamp to the hole right above the interior door handle - treat this with care as it will easily break and it's not cheap to replace.

I used a heavier string/cord to fish the new cables through the doors as others have mentioned.

I did not remove the door modules to access the green clip. I just carefully used needle nose pliers to help pinch the clip ends in to get the clip out of the hole.
Funny you should mention the door cable, my drivers one came off easily but i couldn't for the life of me get the passenger one off so i did one with the door card off and one with it still attached haha. Definitely easier with it off but doable with it on. I also used a similar set of trim tools that i bought years ago from amazon :thumbup:

I like your puddle light setting i think i'm going to change mine to yours (currently my light turns off as soon as movement beings or when its folded).

Congrats they're by far my favourite mod.

481 - 500 of 531 Posts