VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
521 - 531 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I ordered power folding mirrors for my 18 r and am currently in process switching them as I have come to a situation where I’m a little stuck...
My stock mirrors have 2 wires (mirror wire and blind spot monitoring wire)
The new mirrors only came with the mirror wire.

Does anyone know if the blind spot monitoring wire can be transferred from old mirrors to new mirrors. If YES and you know what you’re doing contact me please....
When I did this a couple years ago, I tried buying the Chinese mirrors for $220 and transferring the wire. The second I started trying to get into the part of the mirror "sail" on the old mirrors, where the wiring was, stuff started to crack, so I gave up and ordered the $700 German mirrors. It just wasn't worth it to me to even try.

I haven't followed this closely, but it sounds like prices have fallen for the BSM power mirrors. I'd just do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK so, when I first saw these auto folding mirrors I knew I had to have them. In Los Angeles (or any city for that matter) there are some narrow streets and I often see mirrors get decapitated. I am used to manually pushing the mirror in but this is so much more classy. I bought mine from AliExpress - China yes it seems scary but rest assured this is an OEM part, even though it's from China. I'm pretty sure all the US stores source from the same place. If you are more comfortable paying more from a US store, I get that. These come with no caps and no glass - just the guts you need as you will swap over your caps and glass. As you can see, it is significantly cheaper than anywhere else. OK, enough of that.

The install is very straight forward. You do have to remove the door panels and let me be the first to say that I HATE DOING THAT! Why? Because generally you break a clip and then the panel rattles and doesn't feel as tight as the first time it was on. I found this NOT TO BE THE CASE! VW did a really great job with the panels so that they not only clip by pushing IN, but also clips slide down. Hard to explain until you've done it but have no fear, it is not difficult at all. The USP instructions work GREAT so thanks to them! The install seems more daunting than it really is, it only took me about an hour to do the physical install. You get 3 parts with the kit: Right and Left mirror assemblies and a new mirror switch that has a new position to FOLD the mirrors. This is handy if you need to squeeze into a tight spot or it you are at the drag strip and want to reduce wind resistance :laugh:

Now the coding had me a little confused. The whole point of the mirrors for me is for them to fold up when I lock the car and then unfold when unlocked - seems simple enough and the coding for that is super easy:

Folding mirrors with lock/unlock
Kit can be purchased from
OEM & Aftermarket Performance Parts for BMW, Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche
[09] Central Electronics
[16] Security Access - Code is 31347, click "Do it!"
[10] Adaptation, choose from the drop down channel
[23] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappen change to "active", click do it
[26] - Access control 2 - Menuesteuerung Funkspiegelanklappen change to “active”
[24] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus change to “by look command via remote control key”
Then in the car….
In the Media display
Click "Car"
"Setup"
"Mirrors & Wipers", select the option for “Fold away after parking.

But just by doing this nothing happens, at least now for me. There is ANOTHER part that needs to be coded - This is well documented with GTI's and Golfs but for some reason the R is a bit different.. So, in order to tell the car that it actually has folding mirrors, you need to code it in, in a GTI when you go to module 42 & 52 (passenger and driver door electronics) you see this:

Easy enough right? WRONG! As of this post, when you go to module 42 and 52 in the R, you first get a dialog box (sorry no pic) saying that there is no info on this module... you hit OK and proceed and you are presented with this:

These 2 things as marked by the red arrows need to be checked to let the car know it has folding mirrors... so, what I ended up doing is copying the binary in byte 1 and byte 4 and put that in mine even though there is no description. Once I did that, it all worked! Just make sure that you UNCHECK Bit 5 & 6 or your puddle lights won't work.

Anyway, I LOVE these things, this could be my favorite mod so far as I get giddy watching them fold and unfold - I just click the fob; open, close, open, close... :screwy: 🤦 Here is a proper daytime video of them in action. Hope this helps someone in the future!

When doing this mod..Under Mirrors & Wipers--I dont have the option For Fold away after parking..Does this show up after the coding??? I hVE 2016 mk7 R.
Also , after all is done, can the mirrors still be folded away manually or do the motors in the units prevent this???

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
When doing this mod..Under Mirrors & Wipers--I dont have the option For Fold away after parking..Does this show up after the coding??? I hVE 2016 mk7 R.
Also , after all is done, can the mirrors still be folded away manually or do the motors in the units prevent this???
yes additional coding is required for that to show up in the menu as an option. You can manually fold them without issues.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Great..Thankjs for the help..
Anytime, its super easy with VCDS, have to go to the each mirror configuration to enable the folding and lighting and overall adaptations to make the options show up in the car menu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I found this topic when searching for some more info on Golf Mk7 mirrors. I have Golf GTD 2016 and I want to add welcome lights to the mirrors. My mirrors are heated and have blind spot assist/monitor (BSM) but they are not foldable and they do not have the welcome lights.
At first I thought I will just add the lights, cutting the precise hole for them, and wire to the door unit. But seems like getting the base of the foldable mirror with the lamps will be much easier and not to mention cleaner.
The question I have and did not find an exact answer for is: How many pins on both mirrors do I need for them to support all the functions (foldable, BSM, heated, welcome lights)?

My door units:
Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386), Part No SW: 5Q4 959 593 E HW: 5Q4 959 593 B
Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. (J387), Part No SW: 5Q4 959 592 E HW: 5Q4 959 592 B
I hope that they support the functions I want. Can someone verify or tell me how to verify?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello...found this thread as i'm planning to do folding mirrors...but need to change my modules as i only have the basic '392/393E' modules..

Is it true that the 592/593 'F' modules are not compatible as they have different plugs and that I should seek the 'E' ones?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Hey guys looking for some re-coding help in OBDEleven. I installed the power fold mirrors back in 2019 when I got my Golf R. Until recently I had them coded to lock/unlock with the car. I noticed OBDEleven had a new App to code for fold on lock, then unfold on ignition on (instead of unlock). So I coded it for that using their app. It works perfectly if I unlock it with the door handle sensor, but if I unlock w/ the key fob the mirrors unfold then immediately refold, then unfold again when I start the car.

So there's gotta be a line in the long coding that is set wrong for this. Anyone know which line that is to code out unfold w/ the keyfob?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
In module 9, look for Signalisierung_Spiegelanklappung and set it to Activated
Tried that it just sets it back to folding w/ unlock. But....

So it looks like when you code it to unfold the mirrors only with the ignition it work that way until the car goes into "sleep" mode then it will always unfold/refold them when unlocking with the keyfob, but if you unlock w/ the door handle sensor it will always stay folded until you start the car, even if in sleep mode. Found a thread on the OBDEleven forum discussing this. Apparently it cannot be coded to remember the ignition- only unfold when using the keyfob to unlock once the CAN goes to sleep.

Here is the thread: Unfold mirrors only on ignition | OBDeleven

521 - 531 of 531 Posts