VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was suggested to me that I should make a "build thread". So, here it goes.

A little bit of info/background on me:

I am 32 and I live in Moses Lake, Washington. I am an Air Traffic Controller, with 7 years in the Air Force and 4 years in the FAA. I also do automotive photography as a hobby.

This Golf Sportwagen 4MOTION is my 5th VW "Sportwagen", but only the second I've put any effort into modifying -- 1999 Passat Wagon 1.8T 5MT (sold), 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.5 5MT (modified, pictured below, sold), 2015 Golf Sportwagen 1.8T 5MT (totaled by a red light runner), 2016 Golf Sportwagen 1.8 5AT FWD (wife's current car), and my 2019 Golf Sportwagen 1.8T 4Motion (this one).

I've been married for 10 years. I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 wagons.

Here is my old 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen 2.5, which I purchased brand new and modified for 5+ years:

Video Feature -

My current Sportwagen was purchased brand new in August of 2019. I told myself if VW made an AWD, turbo, 6MT wagon I would buy one...so traded in my 2016 Audi S3 for it when I heard VW was killing them for the NAR.
Don't judge me. I didn't really care for the DSG/S3. I would rather have a 6MT 4motion Sportwagen anyways.

Here is my new 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4MOTION, 6 months and 4k miles later, as it sits 3/23/2020:

Details and Modifications:

2019 VW Golf Sportwagen
4MOTION
1.8T EA888 Gen 3
6-Speed Manual

Exterior:
  • OEM Golf R Front Bumper
  • OEM Votex Side Skirts
  • Ed's Golf R Headlights
  • OEM Golf R Variant Rear Diffuser
  • OEM Golf R Variant Rear Window Spoilers
  • Quad-Tipped OEM Exhaust
Engine Bay:
  • OEM Tiguan Engine Cover
  • Integrated Engineering Downpipe
  • Burger Motorsports JB4 + Connect Kit
Interior:
  • OEM Golf R Seats
  • Rennline Phone Mount
  • Black Forest Industries GSB Shift Knob
Suspension and Wheels:
  • H&R VTF Adjustable Springs
  • BBS LM LM249 Wheels 19x8.5+48
Waiting to be Installed/In the Mail/Backordered:
  • Integrated Engineering Intake
  • Integrated Engineering Turbo Inlet Pipe
  • OEM IS20 (GTI) Turbocharger Upgrade
  • Maxton Design Golf Variant Rear Side Splitters
  • Black Mirror Caps
  • Dynamic Mirror Turn Signals

Random photos of "progress":

Future plans include: Installing the missing parts, coilovers, rear sway bar, a clutch that can actually hold power, IS38 upgrade, Integrated Engineering Intercooler, and IE Tune.

Thanks for checking it out, I'll try to update as I go! :beer:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow!
Top notch post...
Expertly done. And the car mods too ;)

ATC...Is that Seattle ATRCC?
Aviation guy here also. I’m with EJA.......

My favorite shot is the wagon at the factory!

Again, great post and just stunning photography!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow!
Top notch post...
Expertly done. And the car mods too ;)

ATC...Is that Seattle ATRCC?
Aviation guy here also. I’m with EJA.......

My favorite shot is the wagon at the factory!

Again, great post and just stunning photography!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! I actually work at the tower and approach control at Grant County International in Moses Lake, WA. They are storing a lot of MAX’s there.

Love to see it all finished, man! Nice build!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks man! I love your build as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
looking good op, love the look of the wagon :beer: quick question how is your coilover's I'm looking into lowering my wagon and looking for some advice recommendations to which suspension I should go with

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks man! I love your build as well!
You've inspired me. I'm gonna make a build thread this week. My car is rough and raw, yours has the good looks I'm after, but too poor to commit to it like you did this past few weeks! You 7.5 guys have it easy ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've inspired me. I'm gonna make a build thread this week. My car is rough and raw, yours has the good looks I'm after, but too poor to commit to it like you did this past few weeks! You 7.5 guys have it easy ;)

Thank you! Yours still looks good and could hurt a lot of feelings.

You’re not wrong, haha. 7.5 wasn’t too difficult.

looking good op, love the look of the wagon :beer: quick question how is your coilover's I'm looking into lowering my wagon and looking for some advice recommendations to which suspension I should go with
I have H&R VTF springs now and they’re great. Most of the lowering springs are good options. Bilstein and KW make great coilovers. Just make sure you get 50mm struts for GSW, and 55mm struts if you have an AT.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks awesome man! Thanks for sharing all the details. I've already been following you on IG for a while. Great look GSW!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks awesome man! Thanks for sharing all the details. I've already been following you on IG for a while. Great look GSW!
Thank you! It was about time I made a “build thread”.. probably a bit late, haha.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"Don't judge me. I didn't really care for the DSG/S3. I would rather have a 6MT 4motion Sportwagen anyways."

Did we just become best friends?!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is gorgeous. I want to do something very similar with my 17 Oxford White, just hope the 7.5 front and rear bumpers fit because they look so good.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Wow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: PLF8593

·
Registered
760 Posts
Wow, indeed. Fellow MK7.5 4motion 6mt GSW here, and you sir are winning!

The GolfR front skin makes all the difference. Kudos.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like I have some saving to do ha.
It could get expensive fast, but I remember seeing a MK7 GTI that did the “facelift” conversion in a FB group. So it’s possible with enough money.

Wow, indeed. Fellow MK7.5 4motion 6mt GSW here, and you sir are winning!

The GolfR front skin makes all the difference. Kudos.
Thank you!

It really changed the attitude of the car. Even at stock height and on winter wheels. I’m a big fan of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That looks great. :beer: I just picked up a 6-spd Alltrack SEL because my Wrangler was great in Colorado but not so much in Seattle.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts