VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ah nice. I have the Z6, considering moving back to the D780 SLR. All the F mount glass is getting cheap these days. Been thinking of getting an 85 1.8 for the longest time myself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Ah nice. I have the Z6, considering moving back to the D780 SLR. All the F mount glass is getting cheap these days. Been thinking of getting an 85 1.8 for the longest time myself.
I’ve considered going mirrorless a few times but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I know it’s the future but I love my DSLR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve considered going mirrorless a few times but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I know it’s the future but I love my DSLR.
Don't think of it in terms of future. Only thing that matters is that your camera does what you need it to. I got the Z6 cause my D750 was pretty bad at video. Then Nikon released the D780 with the same video features... after I sold all my F mount lenses and cam.

Cameras like Sony have state of the art focus, super sharpness, blah blah blah, but lots of people don't like them for the bad ergonomics, and just the overall image not being very realistic. So use what you find appealing, no need to worry where everyone else is going. They're all losing money switching bodies and systems every other year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Don't think of it in terms of future. Only thing that matters is that your camera does what you need it to. I got the Z6 cause my D750 was pretty bad at video. Then Nikon released the D780 with the same video features... after I sold all my F mount lenses and cam.

Cameras like Sony have state of the art focus, super sharpness, blah blah blah, but lots of people don't like them for the bad ergonomics, and just the overall image not being very realistic. So use what you find appealing, no need to worry where everyone else is going. They're all losing money switching bodies and systems every other year.
The only thing that makes me want to make the switch is video. The video quality on my D600 is really lacking, buuutttttt it’s not bad enough to bother me since I only shoot video like once a year. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nik, I can see that you are using General G-Max RS tyres in 235/35 x 19 dimension during the summer. What is your appreciation of these more affordable UHP tyres? How are they wearing out on your GSW? Some people have told me that as they wear out they become quite noisy on some cars as the thread blocks do not wear evenly? I want a tyre with good wet grip as I often pull a small aluminium trailer and in rainy conditions braking distances are more challenging. Last 2 summers I was using the OEM Hankook Ventus tyres that came with the car (225/40 x 18); however, this summer, I will be riding on 19 inches Pretoria wheels. Your input would be very appreciated. My car is a Unitronic Stage 1 build GSW 4 Motion with Eibach springs and rear sway bar, kind of a faster daily driver.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Nik, I can see that you are using General G-Max RS tyres in 235/35 x 19 dimension during the summer. What is your appreciation of these more affordable UHP tyres? How are they wearing out on your GSW? Some people have told me that as they wear out they become quite noisy on some cars as the thread blocks do not wear evenly? I want a tyre with good wet grip as I often pull a small aluminium trailer and in rainy conditions braking distances are more challenging. Last 2 summers I was using the OEM Hankook Ventus tyres that came with the car (225/40 x 18); however, this summer, I will be riding on 19 inches Pretoria wheels. Your input would be very appreciated. My car is a Unitronic Stage 1 build GSW 4 Motion with Eibach springs and rear sway bar, kind of a faster daily driver.
Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan. They’re not terrible, but I won’t buy them again. I went on the cheaper side trying to save some cash for other parts. Like you said, they wear fairly quickly and they kind of noisy. I haven’t had issue with uneven wear though. I’m just going to bite the bullet when it comes time to swap these and buy some Michelin PSs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honestly, I’m not the biggest fan. They’re not terrible, but I won’t buy them again. I went on the cheaper side trying to save some cash for other parts. Like you said, they wear fairly quickly and they kind of noisy. I haven’t had issue with uneven wear though. I’m just going to bite the bullet when it comes time to swap these and buy some Michelin PSs.

Thank you for the feedback. I think they perform better on American muscle cars of past or present.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
No parts update, yet.

I ordered a set of Audi 8V RS3 brake "air ducts" from VW/Audi in Latvia and an Integrated Engineering intercooler (back-ordered), but neither has arrived yet. For those not familiar, The MQB RS3 has additional airflow ducting that straps to the top of the front lower control arm to direct air into the front brakes.

Here are the part numbers:
8V0-407-811
8V0-407-812

Here are some winter photos to enjoy in the meantime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No parts update, yet.

I ordered a set of Audi 8V RS3 brake "air ducts" from VW/Audi in Latvia and an Integrated Engineering intercooler (back-ordered), but neither has arrived yet. For those not familiar, The MQB RS3 has additional airflow ducting that straps to the top of the front lower control arm to direct air into the front brakes.

Here are the part numbers:
8V0-407-811
8V0-407-812

Here are some winter photos to enjoy in the meantime.

I love the last photograph, WOW!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nik, I’ve been really enjoying your build. Learning a lot. I read through and didn’t find part numbers for the OEM Golf R Variant Rear Window Spoilers and the black mirror caps that you used. Could you share those? I’m going to add those and wheel spacers, and that will be my humble build. Lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Nik, I’ve been really enjoying your build. Learning a lot. I read through and didn’t find part numbers for the OEM Golf R Variant Rear Window Spoilers and the black mirror caps that you used. Could you share those? I’m going to add those and wheel spacers, and that will be my humble build. Lol.

Thank you!

Here's the part numbers for those:

5G9-805-945-041 & 5G9-805-946-041

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Thanks, Nik. Do you happen to have the black mirror caps part number handy? That photo of your rig in front of that plane is amazing.

Here's a link to purchase the rear window spoilers:

The mirror caps set is: 5G0072530A

·
Registered
174 Posts
181 - 199 of 199 Posts