VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
'93 940, '07 Civic Hy, '17 NPS50, '17 GSW 4mo
4,466 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous.
8 months later and now I've got myself a 2017 GSW 4mo DSG that I'm gonna make a fake R as well, whoooooops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of updates:

I installed an Integrated Engineering Intake and Turbo Inlet Pipe. I was in a rush, so I really only have a photo of the finished product.
This combo sounds great!

Also pictured if I missed it in a past update is: my Tiguan engine cover and battery cover. (No, I didn't steal them from the wife's Tiguan. I bought them, haha).

I picked up a new-to-me set of MK6 Golf R rear calipers, pads, and rotors with low miles. I'll be cleaning these up, painting the calipers red and the rotor hats black, and installing them soon. My MK6 R NEUSPEED stainless steel braided lines were accidentally shipped to New Jersey, so I'm waiting on a replacement set. I also decided to ditch the stock TTS pads for EBC "Red Stuff" pads up front and the standard rotors for some drilled ones to match the rear.

So the new brake setup will be TTS 340mm 4-piston fronts with Golf R 310mm single-piston rears; EBC "Red Stuff" Pads, Drilled Rotors, and NEUSPEED stainless steel braided lines all around.

Bonus:
SNOWDAY!

how does it do in the snow being lowered?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same for me with Eibach springs and 16 inch wheels, but this winter, we did not get massive amounts of snow where I live that would require high ground clearance. The fluffy snow gets pushed/flattened in front and the 4Motion does the rest with winter tires. Unless you plan to do serious off-roading in unplowed areas, and then a GSW is not the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Big update!

The car's current mileage: 11,200

I spent last Wednesday and Thursday ripping apart my Sportwagen to install my new SACHS performance clutch + DMF + pressure plate, SACHS metal throw-out bearing, and iAbed rear main seal. The stock clutch slipped once or twice during heavy acceleration and would smell bad during up-hill climbs. It was time for an upgrade.

This was the first clutch I had ever done, and it was a battle. It wasn’t necessarily difficult, but laying on my back and wrestling with the transmission and subframe was exhausting. I don't regret doing this install at all though because I learned a ton and feel super accomplished. I did it solo and I would definitely recommend having a second set of eyes and hands if you do this DIY.

So far the clutch feels pretty similar to stock—it has a slightly heavier pedal feel but it’s very nice. The catch point is very precise and doesn't wander like stock. I can’t wait for the 500-mile break-in to be finished so I can really test it out--and add more power!

201 - 218 of 218 Posts