VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
281 - 300 of 335 Posts

· Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
920 Posts
I just bought a 2019 GSW 4Mo 6MT a few days ago. Love it so far, except for the rev hang. It is annoying, and the first MT car I have owned that has it.

I think it is controlled by the ECU because the revs don't drop in a linear fashion. Instead, they drop slowly for the first 750ms, then quickly like a normal MT car. I've checked with APR and Berger and their tunes don't delete the feature.

Have you noticed it in your GSW? Any insight into how to eliminate it?

Are the R seats any less comfortable than the stock ones? I've read that leather + heated seats can be uncomfortable for long distances.
As Nik said, there's no known way to get rid of it. You have to work with it. I started a thread on it here, including some tips: The Definitive Rev Hang Thread (Mk7 & MT focused)

I still hate it but I've learned to live with it. My car has only 37k miles but already the 2nd gear synchro feels kind of rough. I bought the car at 18k so I'm wondering if the synchros took a beating from the first owner due to CDV and rev hang and sloppy shifting. The clutch was replaced before I bought the car...yikes.

Back to Nik since this is his thread: he's got the BBS wheels back on—I saw it on Instagram. :)

· Registered
32 Posts
It was suggested to me that I should make a "build thread". So, here it goes.

This Golf Sportwagen 4MOTION is my 5th VW "Sportwagen", but only the second I've put any effort into modifying -- 1999 Passat Wagon 1.8T 5MT (sold), 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.5 5MT (modified, pictured below, sold), 2015 Golf Sportwagen 1.8T 5MT (totaled by a red light runner), 2016 Golf Sportwagen 1.8 5AT FWD (wife's current car), and my 2019 Golf Sportwagen 1.8T 4Motion (this one).

Here is my old 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen 2.5, which I purchased brand new and modified for 5+ years:

Video Feature -

My current Sportwagen was purchased brand new in August of 2019. I told myself if VW made an AWD, turbo, 6MT wagon I would buy one...so traded in my 2016 Audi S3 for it when I heard VW was killing them for the NAR.
Don't judge me. I didn't really care for the DSG/S3. I would rather have a 6MT 4motion Sportwagen anyways.

Here is my new 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4MOTION, 6 months and 4k miles later, as it sits 3/23/2020:

Details and Modifications:

2019 VW Golf Sportwagen
4MOTION
1.8T EA888 Gen 3
6-Speed Manual

Exterior:
  • OEM Golf R Front Bumper
  • OEM Votex Side Skirts
  • Ed's Golf R Headlights
  • OEM Golf R Variant Rear Diffuser
  • OEM Golf R Variant Rear Window Spoilers
  • Quad-Tipped OEM Exhaust
Engine Bay:
  • OEM Tiguan Engine Cover
  • Integrated Engineering Downpipe
  • Burger Motorsports JB4 + Connect Kit
Interior:
  • OEM Golf R Seats
  • Rennline Phone Mount
  • Black Forest Industries GSB Shift Knob
Suspension and Wheels:
  • H&R VTF Adjustable Springs
  • BBS LM LM249 Wheels 19x8.5+48
Waiting to be Installed/In the Mail/Backordered:
  • Integrated Engineering Intake
  • Integrated Engineering Turbo Inlet Pipe
  • OEM IS20 (GTI) Turbocharger Upgrade
  • Maxton Design Golf Variant Rear Side Splitters
  • Black Mirror Caps
  • Dynamic Mirror Turn Signals

Random photos of "progress":

Future plans include: Installing the missing parts, coilovers, rear sway bar, a clutch that can actually hold power, IS38 upgrade, Integrated Engineering Intercooler, and IE Tune.

Thanks for checking it out, I'll try to update as I go!
🤤

· Registered
2019 Sportwagen 1.8t 6MT 4Mo
27 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the R bumper retrofit. Did you have a body shop fill the parking sensor holes? Do you know of a cheap way to buy blanks that would fill the holes as if there were parking sensors?

Also, did you install the four internal air duct pieces? Or are they not useful? Those parts are not included in your parts list.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
I'm thinking of doing the R bumper retrofit. Did you have a body shop fill the parking sensor holes? Do you know of a cheap way to buy blanks that would fill the holes as if there were parking sensors?

Also, did you install the four internal air duct pieces? Or are they not useful? Those parts are not included in your parts list.
Yeah, my body shop filled the holes before paint. I contemplated finding a cheaper solution, but I was worried I would have issues with it later and just decided it would be easier to have them filled.

I did buy and install the left and right duct pieces and they’re included in my parts list. I’m not sure which four you’re talking about. Do you have a part number?

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Love the car but that truck is sexy as hell. What's the specs on that?
Thank you!

It’s a 1979 GMC Sierra Grande. I picked it up a couple months ago and I’ve been turning it into a “driver” quality truck. It’s a money pit, like the GSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2019 Sportwagen 1.8t 6MT 4Mo
27 Posts
Yeah, my body shop filled the holes before paint. I contemplated finding a cheaper solution, but I was worried I would have issues with it later and just decided it would be easier to have them filled.

I did buy and install the left and right duct pieces and they’re included in my parts list. I’m not sure which four you’re talking about. Do you have a part number?
They seem to be true 'ducts' that channel air, probably to the brakes. Not visible from the outside at all.

I'm now leaning more towards painting or wrapping the lower chrome piece black and keeping the stock bumper. My color is silk blue. If it were white or silver like yours, I think the R bumper would stand out more. But as it is, not sure it would be worth the money.

But I wonder if that lower lip from Maxton would fit as flush on the stock bumper as it does on the R bumper. If so, that would be a great aesthetic improvement.

On another note, what percentage is your window tint? It seems perfect.

Thanks for documenting your build and answering all the questions. I've got a boatload of stuff on order and can't wait to install.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
They seem to be true 'ducts' that channel air, probably to the brakes. Not visible from the outside at all.

I'm now leaning more towards painting or wrapping the lower chrome piece black and keeping the stock bumper. My color is silk blue. If it were white or silver like yours, I think the R bumper would stand out more. But as it is, not sure it would be worth the money.

But I wonder if that lower lip from Maxton would fit as flush on the stock bumper as it does on the R bumper. If so, that would be a great aesthetic improvement.

On another note, what percentage is your window tint? It seems perfect.

Thanks for documenting your build and answering all the questions. I've got a boatload of stuff on order and can't wait to install.
Oh, gotcha. Yeah that’s the duct work for the auxiliary water cooling system on the R. Too much work for me to put all of that in.

I don’t believe that particular Maxton lip would mount to a standard Golf bumper. It has a lot of cutouts that are specific to the R bumper. Maxton does make lips for the standard Golf though.

The window tint is 20% all around, it’s a bit dark at night time, but not terrible. I can’t imagine going any darker, but sometimes wish it was darker when it’s 105° out.

· Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
920 Posts
The window tint is 20% all around, it’s a bit dark at night time, but not terrible. I can’t imagine going any darker, but sometimes wish it was darker when it’s 105° out.
I had 20% on my old car, and have 30% ceramic on my Alltrack. Sometimes I wish I had slightly lighter tint on the fronts. Definitely wouldn't go darker than 30% these days; just hurts nighttime visibility too much. The ceramic tint makes a tremendous difference in reducing heat in the summer. Well worth the extra cost. I believe they even make ceramic tint without tint...so you don't need to go dark to reduce heat.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
I had 20% on my old car, and have 30% ceramic on my Alltrack. Sometimes I wish I had slightly lighter tint on the fronts. Definitely wouldn't go darker than 30% these days; just hurts nighttime visibility too much. The ceramic tint makes a tremendous difference in reducing heat in the summer. Well worth the extra cost. I believe they even make ceramic tint without tint...so you don't need to go dark to reduce heat.
I have ceramic 20% on my wife’s Tiguan and can’t tell a difference in heat deflection to be honest.

· Registered
895 Posts
I have ceramic 20% on my wife’s Tiguan and can’t tell a difference in heat deflection to be honest.
I just saw a small video somewhere where a shop did before and after on dash temperatures with "clear" ceramic tint on the windshield. The temperature difference was around 40 degrees F. I think it likely depends on parking locations, geographical location, etc. Here in SE VA, it's hot and the summers are "long" and I feel we see a difference here, but to your point, without scientific evidence, we may be experiencing some placebo with the wallet being lighter...

Reactions: Skeej760

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
I just saw a small video somewhere where a shop did before and after on dash temperatures with "clear" ceramic tint on the windshield. The temperature difference was around 40 degrees F. I think it likely depends on parking locations, geographical location, etc. Here in SE VA, it's hot and the summers are "long" and I feel we see a difference here, but to your point, without scientific evidence, we may be experiencing some placebo with the wallet being lighter...
I’m sure there definitely is a measurable difference, but in my day to day.. I can’t say it’s anything noticeable between the two cars.

· Registered
827 Posts
If the windshield isn't done, that will make it feel less impactful as it's the easiest (other than a pano) place for heat to get in. Kind of negates the heat rejection happening on the other windows. I went about a week in between everything else being done and then getting the windshield later. Was definitely noticeable.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·

Swapped my RS7 spark plugs for the spark plugs recommended by Integrated Engineering for their IS20 tune. The images of RS7 plugs with the electrodes snapped off and embedded in pistons/cylinder walls also helped me make this decision. Now I’m running NGK R7437-9s gapped at .026". I purchased them from FCPEURO, so I guess that means I’ll only need to pay $200 for these spark plus once…..

I also ditched the standard 16” spare tire for an 18” spare tire that actually fits over my rear brakes (MK6 Golf R 310mm Rear Brakes—identical to MK7 Golf GTI PP brakes).

I wasn’t going to pay $215 + shipping for the spare off ECS/ShopDAP, because I’m a cheapass. So I setup an alert on eBay for “125/70r18 5x112” and finally found one for $74.77 shipped!

Now I have a spare I can actually use on my car and I’m able to retain my Helix subwoofer and all of my cargo space.

· Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
920 Posts
NGK makes great plugs. (y)

I also ditched the standard 16” spare tire for an 18” spare tire that actually fits over my rear brakes (MK6 Golf R 310mm Rear Brakes—identical to MK7 Golf GTI PP brakes).

I wasn’t going to pay $215 + shipping for the spare off ECS/ShopDAP, because I’m a cheapass. So I setup an alert on eBay for “125/70r18 5x112” and finally found one for $74.77 shipped!

Now I have a spare I can actually use on my car and I’m able to retain my Helix subwoofer and all of my cargo space.
That is smart! Congrats. Hmm, I'm wondering if the Alltrack comes with an 18" spare already...I'll have to check. I feel like that 16" spare is way smaller than mine. I have the Helix too and the spare is close to the sub's diameter IIRC.

281 - 300 of 335 Posts