VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
awesome thread! reminds me of why we love the 'Tex so much :) very informative and motivating

Working my way towards a mk7, but rocking a B6 6 speed wagon for now..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
awesome thread! reminds me of why we love the 'Tex so much :) very informative and motivating

Working my way towards a mk7, but rocking a B6 6 speed wagon for now..

Clean car! You don’t see them very often anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
...Yet, IMHO- elegant and sharp GSW with the R mods. Respect.

Plus- the Euro hitch, and the towing pic- CLEAN!
And so nice to see another USEITTRACK not afraid to tow!

Nick, how did you find that Uhaul to pull behind you? How much weight total, do you recall?

Was it before or after the turbo upgrade?

I'm looking to do an APR1, or possibly an IS20 for more grunt towing a trailer on a bucket list trip to AK,
and wonder what you discovered with the extra power, how much needed or not, on the weight of your tows?
Thank you! I am thinking you have me confused with a different car. I’ve never towed with this car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
A couple of small updates:

I added a 24mm Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, ECS Titanium lug bolts, and Golf R brakes with EBC red-stuff pads.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

Very nice, where did you get the R brakes?
Thanks! I got the calipers, caliper carriers, lines and dust shields together from someone on Facebook marketplace. I just cleaned them really well and painted them with a black ceramic paint. They were looking a little rough. Then I got the pads and rotors from FCP Euro.

Niiiiiiiice!! :thumbup::cool:
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Love this build. I just bought my GSW today. 2019 6spd 4motion. I am coming from a MK6R and have been lamenting that the R Estate didnt make its way to the US. Where did you purchase your R bumper and valence from?

I also want to swap the seats out. When doing the swap, did you find any issues with the heated seats? I am planning on going with GTI seats.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Love this build. I just bought my GSW today. 2019 6spd 4motion. I am coming from a MK6R and have been lamenting that the R Estate didnt make its way to the US. Where did you purchase your R bumper and valence from?

I also want to swap the seats out. When doing the swap, did you find any issues with the heated seats? I am planning on going with GTI seats.
Thank you! Good choice!

I purchased my front bumper used locally, but it was the skin only so I had to grab all the small trim pieces individually. Side skirts I purchased from the dealer. The rear valence I purchased from EACCA, as it's a European market only part.

The seat swap took a bit of wiring changes, but wasn't too bad. There's a write-up on the forum here somewhere. They're fully functional after install.

Here's a part number list for the bumper and skirts:

Golf R Bumper Parts
5G0807217LTGRU (Golf R Front Bumper)
5G0-853-671-M-FOD (Center Grill)
5G0-853-666-R-041 (Outer Grill Right)
5G0-853-665-R-041 (Outer Grill Left)
5G0-853-102-D-041 (Outer Moulding Right)
5G0-853-101-G-041 (Outer Moulding Left)
5G0-805-915-P-9B9 (Lower Retainer)
5G0-805-903-J-041 (Spoiler)
5G0-805-904-D-041 (Spoiler)
5G0-807-724-L (Bumper Support)
5G0-807-723-L (Bumper Support)

Golf R Variant/Estate Rear Diffuser
Diffuser 5G9807568AC041
Diffuser Insert 5G9853333A9B

Votex Side Skirts
5G0-071-685--GRU

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
A couple more small updates!

Audi OEM "short shifter" out of a Euro Audi S3 6MT.
Removed the clutch delay valve and clutch helper spring.
Detailed the car, again. It rained, again.
I added some '4motion' vinyls to the brake "beauty plates" and sprayed them with a high-temp satin clear coat.

The clutch feels a lot better, but I think I still need to add the DG "Super Pin".

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sick. Those are the kind of tasteful and subtle mods that put a build firmly into the win category. Question, did you have to re-align your shifter after installing the short shift bracket?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Sick. Those are the kind of tasteful and subtle mods that put a build firmly into the win category. Question, did you have to re-align your shifter after installing the short shift bracket?
Thank you! I saw the video on how to do the alignment, but I didn’t do it. My shifting is smoother now with this than it was with the stock shifter. I believe mine may have been misaligned to begin with. I should probably give it a go and see if it gets any better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A couple of small updates:

I added a 24mm Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, ECS Titanium lug bolts, and Golf R brakes with EBC red-stuff pads.

Nik,

Thank you for sharing. Your build is tasteful with a beautiful works in progress.

Please share your impression of your 24 mm RSB. Typical upgrade is 22 mm for fear of snap oversteer.

Believe you are in the Moses Lake area. Have business travel through Eastern WA (with my 2019 VW Alltrack SEL M/T) on a regular basis. PM me if you are open to coordinating grabbing a bite.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Nik,

Thank you for sharing. Your build is tasteful with a beautiful works in progress.

Please share your impression of your 24 mm RSB. Typical upgrade is 22 mm for fear of snap oversteer.

Believe you are in the Moses Lake area. Have business travel through Eastern WA (with my 2019 VW Alltrack SEL M/T) on a regular basis. PM me if you are open to coordinating grabbing a bite.
Thank you! I appreciate it!

The 24mm RSB has been great so far. I feel like the car wanted to understeer before and it feels more balanced now. I haven’t tracked it, but I’ve pushed it during some spirited driving and I haven’t experienced snap oversteer yet.

I’d be down for that once all of this COVID craziness calms down! Right now this town is a mess, haha.

81 - 100 of 203 Posts