VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
traded in my 2016 Audi S3 for it when I heard VW was killing them for the NAR.
How did the stock Sportwagen compare to the S3? Is it a huge difference in handling and the fun factor taking corners? How does it feel now with the springs and seats?

I have an Evo X, strongly thinking about one of these wagons for the better road trip comfort, not worrying about putting on miles, etc, but worry it would be too anemic of a drive (not just power, but handling. A stock Evo isn't that fast anyway).

I'm also not sure that I'd be putting in the R seats so the OEM seats would be quite a step down from my Recaro Speed S in terms of holding you in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
How did the stock Sportwagen compare to the S3? Is it a huge difference in handling and the fun factor taking corners? How does it feel now with the springs and seats?

I have an Evo X, strongly thinking about one of these wagons for the better road trip comfort, not worrying about putting on miles, etc, but worry it would be too anemic of a drive (not just power, but handling. A stock Evo isn't that fast anyway).

I'm also not sure that I'd be putting in the R seats so the OEM seats would be quite a step down from my Recaro Speed S in terms of holding you in.
The Sportwagen handles like a boat compared to the S3 when compared side by side stock. That’s not a huge slam at the GSW, the S3 really is a great car. The Sportwagen needs a lot of work to be comparable.

After the springs, rear sway bar, and seats it does feel a lot better. Probably close to a stock S3. A set of aftermarket shocks could make it close to the same I imagine. I did the same modifications to my S3 though, and it was even better. So it all just depends on how much it’s been modified.

The R seats are great. I wouldn’t go with them though if you’re looking to track the car. These are just nice because they’re fully electric and are heated.

Power wise. You’ll be disappointed with the stock wagon. Again, they’re great cars with some modifications, but rather dull coming from a factory sports car.

Give it a test drive and you’ll see it’s a great car with a lot of potential, but not super “fun” right off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
The Sportwagen handles like a boat compared to the S3 when compared side by side stock. That’s not a huge slam at the GSW, the S3 really is a great car. The Sportwagen needs a lot of work to be comparable.

After the springs, rear sway bar, and seats it does feel a lot better. Probably close to a stock S3. A set of aftermarket shocks could make it close to the same I imagine. I did the same modifications to my S3 though, and it was even better. So it all just depends on how much it’s been modified.

The R seats are great. I wouldn’t go with them though if you’re looking to track the car. These are just nice because they’re fully electric and are heated.

Power wise. You’ll be disappointed with the stock wagon. Again, they’re great cars with some modifications, but rather dull coming from a factory sports car.

Give it a test drive and you’ll see it’s a great car with a lot of potential, but not super “fun” right off the lot.

Nailed it. I saw a fantastic blank canvas, and modifying it to my goals is most of the fun anways.

I've said it before, i'll say it again... my favorite GSW here on the boards. Perfect work IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Yeah, wonder how Corona affected test drives. Will call a few dealers.
It depends on the dealer I think. Me and the wife went to a Subaru dealer the other day and they were more than willing to spray down the interior for a test drive even though we made it clear we had no intention of purchasing the car.

Nailed it. I saw a fantastic blank canvas, and modifying it to my goals is most of the fun anways.

I've said it before, i'll say it again... my favorite GSW here on the boards. Perfect work IMO.
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

This car has been a blast to work on and I feel like there’s still so much more I can tweak. I love this thing. It’s the most fun car I’ve ever owned overall.

·
Registered
187 Posts

I completely agree with you. I came from a MK7 Golf R. Mine was base so it didn’t have the DCC suspension. We’ll see how mine compares as I’m going a different route with this build than I did my R.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I completely agree with you. I came from a MK7 Golf R. Mine was base so it didn’t have the DCC suspension. We’ll see how mine compares as I’m going a different route with this build than I did my R.

My S3 had the “mag-ride” with the performance pack or whatever Audi calls it. I added a set of lowering springs to those that dropped it a bit and added some stiffness and it handled amazingly. I think the only thing that can compete with that on a GSW would be a nice set of Bilstein or KW coilovers. I’ll grab a set of those sooner or later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My S3 had the “mag-ride” with the performance pack or whatever Audi calls it. I added a set of lowering springs to those that dropped it a bit and added some stiffness and it handled amazingly. I think the only thing that can compete with that on a GSW would be a nice set of Bilstein or KW coilovers. I’ll grab a set of those sooner or later.

I have a set of coilovers on the way. I only did Neuspeed drop springs on my R and the rear was very harsh, not enough travel. I was planning to go with coilovers if I bought the R after the lease but decided to just return it and save some money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you know if those little winglet pieces of trim on the bottom of the Golf R front bumper would fit on the standard golf gsw front bumper? I've been looking to do a front lip on my Wagen, but don't really like the maxton design ones that stick way far out and go all the way across the front.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Do you know if those little winglet pieces of trim on the bottom of the Golf R front bumper would fit on the standard golf gsw front bumper? I've been looking to do a front lip on my Wagen, but don't really like the maxton design ones that stick way far out and go all the way across the front.
You may be able to double-side tape or screw it to the bottom, but it definitely wouldn’t be a direct fit. The R bumper has a piece of plastic there already and those black pieces just slip over top of it like a cover.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I too have been struggling with a subtle front lip for the MK7.5 golf/GSW. Please let me know if you go with anything. Otherwise I may retrofit some 'winglets' for a subtle look myself. Seems to me the MK7.5 golf is the most maligned front bumper skin as far as aftermarket options go. I get it, believe me. I think the only guys out here that care about the 1.8t golfs is the GSW crowd. low %

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ill definitely let you know. I'm thinking about adding them to an order I'm doing from E-acca for the power folding mirrors. I might add in plastic retainer for underneath as well, if it doesn't work, then its at least 2 more parts closer to a Golf R front bumper! :D

Nik, do you have a part number for those "votex side skirts" or where you bought them? Google isn't bringing much up for me. My car is Deep Black Pearl so I might just do the maxton design golf 7.5 side skirts ( Abdullah from Maxtondesign.ca confirmed these work on the sportwagen)

Jealous of so much on this car.. wish i could find some golf R front brakes and seats.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Ill definitely let you know. I'm thinking about adding them to an order I'm doing from E-acca for the power folding mirrors. I might add in plastic retainer for underneath as well, if it doesn't work, then its at least 2 more parts closer to a Golf R front bumper! :D

Nik, do you have a part number for those "votex side skirts" or where you bought them? Google isn't bringing much up for me. My car is Deep Black Pearl so I might just do the maxton design golf 7.5 side skirts ( Abdullah from Maxtondesign.ca confirmed these work on the sportwagen)

Jealous of so much on this car.. wish i could find some golf R front brakes and seats.
Here’s the part number for the Votex side skirts:

5G0-071-685--GRU

They come in primer so you’ll have to get them painted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The “winglets” could fit with some customized tab removal/dremel shaping and might hold with 3M tape, but screws would be the only way to solidly attach them. The R bumper also has an undermounted bumper support that prevents the winglets from getting scratched/ripped off by low curbs or other road pitfalls. I bought them from E-Acca (along with the R fog surrounds) trying to get away without buying the whole R front bumper but will probably end up going that route at some point. Not a huge fan personally of the EBay fog trims but I get the appeal.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The “winglets” could fit with some customized tab removal/dremel shaping and might hold with 3M tape, but screws would be the only way to solidly attach them. The R bumper also has an undermounted bumper support that prevents the winglets from getting scratched/ripped off by low curbs or other road pitfalls. I bought them from E-Acca (along with the R fog surrounds) trying to get away without buying the whole R front bumper but will probably end up going that route at some point. Not a huge fan personally of the EBay fog trims but I get the appeal.
I can appreciate this and while I ordered them ($50 why not) I have still not installed and they are certainly a massive compromise. Go Golf R front skin and supporting parts and don't look back.

For all; I put this list together a while back and quickly scrubbed ECS/VW/others for pricing. Pricing is probably dated and a rough estimate at this point. At least this is a solid parts list as a reference point.

5G0807217LTGRU (Golf R Front Bumper)- $335
5G0-853-671-M-FOD (Center Grille)- $165
5G0-853-666-R-041 (Outer GRILLE Right)- $55
5G0-853-665-R-041 (Outer Grille Left)- $55
5G0-853-102-D-041 (Outer Moulding Right)- $40
5G0-853-101-G-041 (Outer Moulding Left)- $40
5G0-805-915-P-9B9 (Lower Retainer)- $95
5G0-805-903-J-041 (Spoiler)- $115
5G0-805-904-D-041 (Spoiler)- $115
5G0-807-724-L (Bumper Support)- $17
5G0-807-723-L (Bumper Support) - $17

Votex Side Skirts 5G0-071-685—GRU- $579

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, thank you for this specific info. Good to know about the winglets. I also have the fog surrounds, I think the only reason they look halfway decent is cause my car is black and they aren't that noticeable, heh. They just add a bit more body shape to the front. They seem to set off my parking sensors in the rain, though.

I too am on the fence with the bumper, I'm also not sure about how to go about the parking sensors, as most of these golf R bumpers come blank, then getting the whole thing painted, then PPF'd. Its on the list though...

101 - 120 of 203 Posts