VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
That's about what I expected! I'm a Canon shooter, but my go-to is the 100mm f/2.0 also on a full frame body, so that approximate focal length/aperture combo looked familiar!
One of my favorites that I wish I never sold was a Nikkor 105 f/2! That’s a perfect focal length for portraits IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,371 Posts
One of my favorites that I wish I never sold was a Nikkor 105 f/2! That’s a perfect focal length for portraits IMO.

I'm kicking myself for having sold my 85 2.8 tilt shift...

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,371 Posts
Oh man, I bet that’s a fun one.
Yes it was. I had it for architectural work and then gave it to a colleague. It was also great for playing with depth of field.

This Sportwagen is great and made even nicer with good photography - and proof that "real" cameras aren't dead yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
I was searching around Facebook the other day and found a set of used MK3 TTS calipers for a pretty good deal and decided to buy them and sell my R calipers. The used TTS calipers were in really good shape, but probably will need a refinish in the spring. I ordered new TTS pads and stainless steel brake lines from ShopDAP.com's kit. The Golf R rotors are identical and only had about 1000 miles on them.

Installation went smoothly and there were no hiccups. These simply bolt on after buying the ShopDap (Neuspeed) stainless steel brake lines. I may be the first to do this swap on steel knuckles, as everywhere I was reading said it wouldn't fit and I would need to swap to aluminum (Alltrack, GTI, R, S3, etc) ones. I figured it was worth giving it a try at least.

TTS calipers are fixed (vs floating) are 4-pot (vs 1 piston) and weigh less than the old calipers by about 7lbs each.

I needed a 10mm spacer up front to clear the new calipers, and for reference I had about 20mm of clearance with no spacers with the R calipers. So, MK3 TTS calipers protrude out about 30mm more than R/GTIPP calipers.

The million dollar question! How do they feel? Well, pedal feel between R brakes with rubber lines and MK3 TTS brakes with stainless steel lines feels identical IMO--braking power favors the TTS brakes though.

I also picked up a set of EuroSport Street camber front tophats to add a bit of camber if needed when I go a little lower, but right now there's no rubbing. I'm sitting at 19x8.5+38 front and 19x8.5+30 rear effectively.

Now I'm on the hunt for a set of rear GTI PP brakes to balance/match the look.

Day of install photos:

Nicer photos taken the next day:

·
Registered
122 Posts
TTS calipers are fixed (vs floating) are 4-pot (vs 1 piston) and weigh less than the old calipers by about 7lbs each.
Oh wow. that's a nice improvement. I was really shocked at how heavy the stock calipers are.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Love the new OEM+ TTs brake kit. Looks good. I'm torn on the red (and Audi logo'ing.) any consideration to addressing the rear caliper in red, or addressing the color on the front?

Car looks fantastic. Keep it up. Big inspiration for mine.

FYI, i have a very minor unsightly ding on my rocker. It's almost forcing my hand on the Votex side skirt kit, but im getting quotes at like $600+ unpainted. YIKES!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Love the new OEM+ TTs brake kit. Looks good. I'm torn on the red (and Audi logo'ing.) any consideration to addressing the rear caliper in red, or addressing the color on the front?

Car looks fantastic. Keep it up. Big inspiration for mine.

FYI, i have a very minor unsightly ding on my rocker. It's almost forcing my hand on the Votex side skirt kit, but im getting quotes at like $600+ unpainted. YIKES!
Thanks!

Yep, I mentioned in my post that they're eventually getting refinished and I'll be doing GTI performance pack rear brakes. For now, that will be the plan--install the (already red) larger rear GTI PP brakes. Then I'll refinish the fronts in red without Audi branding if I like the red look on both; if not I'll paint both front and rear calipers black. I'm not typically one to add color accents, so I have a feeling they'll both be black. I was just on a short timeline with these, otherwise they'd be black already.

Yep, those side skirts will only increase in value, unfortunately. They'll probably stay around the $600 point for a while. They're discontinued to my knowledge and they'll soon become scarce like the MK6 Votex parts.

Oh wow. that's a nice improvement. I was really shocked at how heavy the stock calipers are.
It really is impressive how light they are for the size, the old ones felt like cinder blocks by comparison!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks!

Yep, I mentioned in my post that they're eventually getting refinished and I'll be doing GTI performance pack rear brakes. For now, that will be the plan--install the (already red) larger rear GTI PP brakes. Then I'll refinish the fronts in red without Audi branding if I like the red look on both; if not I'll paint both front and rear calipers black. I'm not typically one to add color accents, so I have a feeling they'll both be black. I was just on a short timeline with these, otherwise they'd be black already.

Yep, those side skirts will only increase in value, unfortunately. They'll probably stay around the $600 point for a while. They're discontinued to my knowledge and they'll soon become scarce like the MK6 Votex parts.

It really is impressive how light they are for the size, the old ones felt like cinder blocks by comparison!

Ahh there it is, I got distracted by the photos. LOL. Nice!

·
Registered
760 Posts
To follow up on this: it appears there is a revision part.

Volkswagen (5G0-071-685-A-GRU) still active and pricing in the 580 range. looks very similar, but not identical.
Disco(5G0-071-685--GRU)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
To follow up on this: it appears there is a revision part.

Volkswagen (5G0-071-685-A-GRU) still active and pricing in the 580 range. looks very similar, but not identical.
Disco(5G0-071-685--GRU)
Oh weird! I didn’t know there was a new part number. I wonder what the difference is. I only paid $232.00 shipped for mine!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Oh weird! I didn’t know there was a new part number. I wonder what the difference is. I only paid $232.00 shipped for mine!

Dare I ask? Used market? Considering taking a peek at ACCA since im not in a huge rush.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Dare I ask? Used market? Considering taking a peek at ACCA since im not in a huge rush.
No, I bought it brand new from the dealership. Not even a wholesaler.

·
Registered
760 Posts
No, I bought it brand new from the dealership. Not even a wholesaler.

I NEED MORE INFO ON YOUR PLUG! That's huge, man. List on it is in the 7's and my guy wont match $579 online pricing. Thats coo-coo cheap. How?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
I NEED MORE INFO ON YOUR PLUG! That's huge, man. List on it is in the 7's and my guy wont match $579 online pricing. Thats coo-coo cheap. How?
No idea, haha. I seriously don’t even have a plug, I paid retail for everything. I just bought them from the dealer—they didn’t even price match anything. I think it was close-out pricing when they were discontinuing that old part number or something?

·
Registered
760 Posts
No idea, haha. I seriously don’t even have a plug, I paid retail for everything. I just bought them from the dealer—they didn’t even price match anything. I think it was close-out pricing when they were discontinuing that old part number or something?

Ahh, you bastard. I think this minor rocker dent will twist my arm enough to buy these soon.

I am actually stopping by a well-recommended body shop today to see how they would address it. It could be a PDR fix on the cheap.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Ahh, you bastard. I think this minor rocker dent will twist my arm enough to buy these soon.

I am actually stopping by a well-recommended body shop today to see how they would address it. It could be a PDR fix on the cheap.
Haha! Same thing happened when I bought my full Votex kit for my MK6 Sportwagen. It’s just good timing I suppose. I got the full kit for $800ish when it was originally over $2k.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Haha! Same thing happened when I bought my full Votex kit for my MK6 Sportwagen. It’s just good timing I suppose. I got the full kit for $800ish when it was originally over $2k.
Between this, and how damn good your car looks... you're making me mad, man!

JK JK, car looks great!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Between this, and how damn good your car looks... you're making me mad, man!

JK JK, car looks great!
Hahah! Thank you. I appreciate it. I honestly just spend wayyyyyy too much time looking at car parts and hop on deals when I see them.

141 - 160 of 188 Posts