VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
A couple of updates:

I installed an Integrated Engineering Intake and Turbo Inlet Pipe. I was in a rush, so I really only have a photo of the finished product.
This combo sounds great!

Also pictured if I missed it in a past update is: my Tiguan engine cover and battery cover. (No, I didn't steal them from the wife's Tiguan. I bought them, haha).

I picked up a new-to-me set of MK6 Golf R rear calipers, pads, and rotors with low miles. I'll be cleaning these up, painting the calipers red and the rotor hats black, and installing them soon. My MK6 R NEUSPEED stainless steel braided lines were accidentally shipped to New Jersey, so I'm waiting on a replacement set. I also decided to ditch the stock TTS pads for EBC "Red Stuff" pads up front and the standard rotors for some drilled ones to match the rear.

So the new brake setup will be TTS 340mm 4-piston fronts with Golf R 310mm single-piston rears; EBC "Red Stuff" Pads, Drilled Rotors, and NEUSPEED stainless steel braided lines all around.

Bonus:
SNOWDAY!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
A little brake update while I have a minute!

I stripped the 310mm Golf R brake setup down, inspected them for any damage, cleaned them up, primer, paint, and then re-assembled!
Now I'm just waiting on my Neuspeed stainless steel lines to arrive.

It's just a rattle can job with some VHT stuff from AutoZone, but it looks pretty good!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I stripped the 310mm Golf R brake setup down, inspected them for any damage, cleaned them up, primer, paint, and then re-assembled!
It's just a rattle can job with some VHT stuff from AutoZone, but it looks pretty good!
Your prep work looks amazing. What were your paint removal steps and degreasing/primer prep/cleaning steps?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Your prep work looks amazing. What were your paint removal steps and degreasing/primer prep/cleaning steps?
Thank you!

It’s honestly nothing crazy. I tore them down to remove all the loose parts I didn’t want to tape off. Then, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned with brake cleaner + wire brush and shop rags. Then, once all the dirt and brake dust was off I hit it with an all purpose degreaser. Once that was done drying, I taped off the holes and piston/boots. Then two layers of high-temp primer, followed by 3 coats of high-temp red. Then I just reassembled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
@oki-nik, besides the items you have addressed (headlights, seats), are there any options you really wish was available on the 4Mo S trim that can't be remedied with mods?
I'm thinking about picking up a 2019/20 before they're gone, but I'd be sharing this car with my partner, who is likely going to want a bunch of the fancy options you can only get on the Alltrack.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
@oki-nik, besides the items you have addressed (headlights, seats), are there any options you really wish was available on the 4Mo S trim that can't be remedied with mods?
I'm thinking about picking up a 2019/20 before they're gone, but I'd be sharing this car with my partner, who is likely going to want a bunch of the fancy options you can only get on the Alltrack.
The only one I really wish I had would be Kessy—keyless entry/push button start.

My old S3 and my wife’s Tiguan had/have it and I wish mine did so I didn’t have to dig around for my key. Just laziness on my part, haha.

Maybe ACC? I really liked automatic cruise control too.

That said, neither of these were deal breakers for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dude, just read this write up. What an awesome looking wagon! I really dig the front end swap. Can't wait to see what else you do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I think I finally have all of the parts sitting in my garage installed. It feels good to be caught up.

Here are some photos from my most recent install, the 310mm MK6 Golf R rear brake setup + updating the front with drilled rotors and EBC pads.

Current brake setup is now: TTS 340mm 4-piston fronts with Golf R 310mm single-piston rears; EBC "Red Stuff" Pads, Drilled Rotors, and NEUSPEED stainless steel braided lines all around.

Excuse the dirty car, it's been non-stop here with rain/snow/wintery mix.

The old 270 mm solid-disc rears vs the new 310mm vented/drilled rears:

The e-brake setup on the new calipers was slightly different, so the e-brake level was loose upon install. It's a quick fix though, just tighten up this bolt under the console:

I'll take some better photos once the weather lets up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
How's the ride with the car this low? Is it bumpy? Any rubbing? Is it much sportier than stock?
The ride is fantastic. It’s actually a little soft for my liking, so I’ll be replacing the dampers in the Spring. A little bumpier than stock, but not bouncy. Zero rubbing and it definitely feels sportier.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts