VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is going to be the better car for the most bang of the buck, performance, looks, and ego.
Tough choices but I may go with W8 since I like the sound of the VR6 and the W8 is really twin VR6 in one and that will produce some serious music when pressed on with some SuperSprint or Jetex twin exhaust tips.
Add a Audi/VW Triptronic and a Superchips, I'm pretty sure the W8 can be a 14.5 sec car easily.

·
Registered
2019 Pajero Sport and 1999 100 series LC
12,530 Posts
Re: Nissan Altima 3.5L or VW Passat W8?? (Traderx25)

Shouldn't we compare apples with apples...How about the infiniti G35 with a six speed stick and close to $5000 in your pocket?
Cheers
Chris
Also remember all those soothing trips to the VW service department, except you paided double what you would have for a golf.

[Modified by CBJ, 1:41 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Talk about bad comparisons....the Altima SE can be had for under $30K. The Passat W8 is a $40K car. So I guess it depends on how much you have to spend doesn't it.
I vote for the Altima since I don't see paying that much $$ for a VW.

[Modified by speedracer3, 1:42 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Re: Nissan Altima 3.5L or VW Passat W8?? (CBJ)

I think you need to clarify before we can vote on this... money is no object right? Cause you're talking like $10,000 - $15,000 difference in cost. If money is no object, go for the Passat. If it as all a consideration, then the Altima gets my vote.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

The Altima is probably quicker and will no doubt handle better, but as far as looks and ego are concerned, the W8 wins. Don't know enough about the Mazda yet to comment, though.

G

·
Re: Nissan Altima 3.5L or VW Passat W8?? (addicted2vw)

For the money spent on the Passat W8, I'd look at either a CTS or a G35. Both are cheaper, and both carry the advantages associated with a luxury nameplate.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

I would rather buy an A4 3.0 Quattro or G35 if I can afford a W8 Passat. Altima 3.5 is the best value if you are looking for performance. If you want a bit more luxurious like softer plastic dash but can't afford an A4 3.0 or G35, then look at Maxima SE.

·
Registered
23,280 Posts

but this will change things around a little, according to my dealer, in about 6 months the passat W8 is going to be offered in the six speed manual version, and yes this is in the states, with that, I go passat, for sure, the altima wont have enought tration with just FWD.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts

This is the dumbest poll I have ever seen.
Well, maybe not but certainly close!
The W8 at the NY Autoshow last week was $35k.
The Altima is about a zillion dollars less. These cars are not comperable.
Sounds to me like someone wants a W8 but can actually afford an Altima.

·
Registered
2019 Pajero Sport and 1999 100 series LC
12,530 Posts
Re: Nissan Altima 3.5L or VW Passat W8?? (Jettavr666)

Ah, it still won't change the fact that an Altima is $15000 less then a W8. Hence my mention of the G35 which is rear wheel drive and should have no problems out running and out turning a Passat. The Passat I'll also point out that should have horrendous fuel consumption due to it's everyday impression of a brick.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,758 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Ah, it still won't change the fact that an Altima is $15000 less then a W8. Hence my mention of the G35 which is rear wheel drive and should have no problems out running and out turning a Passat. The Passat I'll also point out that should have horrendous fuel consumption due to it's everyday impression of a brick.
Cheers
Chris[HR][/HR]​
Well let's see..according to the EPA..
Infinity G35 19/24 mpg
Passat W8 18/25 mpg
Looks pretty even to me. Not bad for the W8 considering it has AWD.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: Nissan Altima 3.5L or VW Passat W8?? (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]W8 Passat goes to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds.
G35 goes to 100 km/h in about 6 seconds, it should be quicker with stick.[HR][/HR]​
The W8 would walk a G35 in acceleration from 0-60 if there was snow on the ground.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 Premium Turbo
7,046 Posts
Re: Nissan Altima 3.5L or VW Passat W8?? (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]W8 Passat goes to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds.
G35 goes to 100 km/h in about 6 seconds, it should be quicker with stick.
The W8 would walk a G35 in acceleration from 0-60 if there was snow on the ground.[HR][/HR]​
Why is there always so many ifs in these VW verus the world comparisons?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.