VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Montreal, Quebec - Nissan Motor Company President and CEO Carlos Ghosn introduced two concept vehicles at the Montreal International Auto Show, one of which could be the prototype for a new entry in the Canadian market.
"We know that there is a strong demand for more compact and affordable vehicles in Canada," Ghosn told visitors to the 36th annual Montreal show. "We already sell the Sentra compact sedan here, but we also see an opportunity to offer a new kind of compact car in the future - smaller than the Sentra, but with premium interior comfort and roominess, improved gas mileage and Nissan-brand design and performance."
Ghosn said the concept cars on display - the Nissan Cube and the Nissan C-Note - represented the kind of vehicles he was talking about. The Cube is a multi-purpose vehicle which Ghosn said "offers highly efficient space usage in a compact, easy-to-maneuvre package." He said the C in C-Note stood for "Comfort" The more car-like C-Note features "premium interior comfort and roominess," Ghosn added.
Ghosn also announced that Nissan will resume production of its Skyline GT-R performance car in 2007 and make it available in Canada. Skyline GT-R was previously available only in Japan.

I have sat in a Cube. Its interior space and packaging should make a worthy Element competitor. Interior is spacious but does come with a price: Nissan's "new era" cheap interior materials. The cargo space is flexible and nicely done.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040112-1.htm

· Registered
2021 CX-5 Turbo
8,705 Posts
Re: (FastGTi)

yeah you could get the R34 in the UK and in hte land down under.
I would like to see the Cube come to America. However, there's not much of a market for it in the states, but it would be good for canada, as they just need an effecient thing to haul stuff around.

G

·
Re: Nissan may offer smaller cars than Sentra in Canada (A4Jetta)

Damnit, first you get the X-Trail, and now both the Cube *AND* the C-Note?!?!?!?! You bastards already have free healthcare and legalized marijuana--you can't have the good cars too.

That's it, I'm gonna have to move to Canada.

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Nissan may offer smaller cars than Sentra in Canada (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

Let's sing "Oh Canada, my home and nice hatchback land"

2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
36,329 Posts

Damnit, first you get the X-Trail, and now both the Cube *AND* the C-Note?!?!?!?! You bastards already have free healthcare and legalized marijuana--you can't have the good cars too.

Actually, marijuana is still illegal - it has only been decriminalized for possession of small amounts. You still get a fine though - the equivalent of a speeding ticket here in New Brunswick.
Nice to see it confirmed that we will get the Skyline too.
Odd how many cars Canada is getting lately that the US doesn't. And it would be nice to see more entries in the subcompact class. Right now we are limited to the Chevy Aveo, Pontiac Wave, Toyota Echo, Suzuki Swift+, and Hyundai Accent. I don't think I would seriously look at the rebadged Daewoos which pretty much leaves the Accent and the Echo.

G

·
Re: Nissan may offer smaller cars than Sentra in Canada (CanuckPal)

Heh...well, if you don't exactly have legalized marijuana, at least you have gay marriage, which would make my life easier.
As for the small car sector, you guys also have the Kia Rio (official motto: it's actually a lot better than you think). Frankly, I'm shocked that you don't get either the VW Polo nor the Scions, and I wonder how long it'll be before you get the Nissan Micra or Honda Jazz.
Of course, I personally think there's more of a market for these kinds of cars in the US than their makers are realizing, and they're missing out by not bringing these vehicles here. After all, somebody's buying 120K Accents and Rios a year, and the owners seem pretty happy with them.

· Registered
5,775 Posts

Heh...well, if you don't exactly have legalized marijuana, at least you have gay marriage, which would make my life easier.
As for the small car sector, you guys also have the Kia Rio (official motto: it's actually a lot better than you think). Frankly, I'm shocked that you don't get either the VW Polo nor the Scions, and I wonder how long it'll be before you get the Nissan Micra or Honda Jazz.
Of course, I personally think there's more of a market for these kinds of cars in the US than their makers are realizing, and they're missing out by not bringing these vehicles here. After all, somebody's buying 120K Accents and Rios a year, and the owners seem pretty happy with them.

I agree. Honda is basically ignoring an untapped market by not having a sub-$13k model. I'm still dreaming for a revival of the CRX - but who knows
What is up with Honda - they really need to get on the ball. With so many new smaller and much better cars eyeing for a chunk of their Civic sales, it's time to introduce a blitz of econoboxes

· Registered
202 Posts

Yeah, the Nissan Micra is a great little car.. would love to see it in North America.
Frankly, I'm shocked that you don't get either the VW Polo nor the Scions, and I wonder how long it'll be before you get the Nissan Micra or Honda Jazz.

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Polo and Jazz should be a guaranteed success if they bring them to Canada. While Polo provides nice interior with solid body structure, Jazz provides efficient and powerful i-DSi engine with flexible interior arrangement. As for Micra/March, its styling is more of a chick's car. So I think its market appeal will not be as wide as Cube.

2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
36,329 Posts

I had forgotten about the Rio.
Yeah, the lack of the Scion brand in Canada is surprising, but we do get the Echo hatch instead. We used to get the Micra, way back in the 80s and I think even the early 90s. I'm sure the VW Polo would sell very well; the Golf is quite popular up here (although we don't get the 3-door) despite the fact that it is pricey.
I think that perhaps the car companies are realizing that this market is pretty much untapped. Now suddenly we are getting the Aveo, Wave, Swift+, Echo hatch, and possibly a new Nissan and a version of the Mazda MX-Sport concept. Pretty cool if you ask me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Interesting fact about this class of car in Canada: In 2002, Canadians bought more Echos than Camrys. Pretty good considering what a sales failure the Echo has been in the U.S.

· Registered
8,310 Posts
Re: (CanuckPal)

Quote, originally posted by CanuckPal »

We also don't get the Dodge Stratus.

We get a Subaru Impreza TS sedan though.

We do get the Stratus. Its the Chrysler Stratus right? Or is that Sebring? I know we got the Stratus b4.
I just had an idea. SR20DE (T if you want) in the Nissan Cube.
Total SLEEPER!

G

·
Re: (CanuckPal)

Quote, originally posted by CanuckPal »
We get a Subaru Impreza TS sedan though.

What's the difference between the Impreza TS sedan you get and the Impreza RS sedan we get?
And how hard is it to import a US car into Canada? Could you just import an EVO across the border?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.